Rubbers - H3N with og without blue sponge

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Is one of those national or provincial H3 faster when they're boosted compared to an unboosted tenergy rubber?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay, Ripper's basic information is what you want. That boost is the best one for Hurricane.

Don't buy another version of Hurricane just yet. Get the boost and see what the rubber you have feels like boosted.

Not everyone likes Hurricane. If you have a real version of H3 and you do not like it and you still do not like it after it has been boosted, chances are, YOU STILL WILL NOT LIKE THE PROVINCIAL OR THE NATIONAL VERSIONS. Which would mean you simply wasted your money.

Here is the difference between the Commercial, Provincial and the National versions:

When they make rubbers they make giant sheets of it. From those giant sheets they cut them into sheets the size we buy. Just imagine a giant square with little squares on it that are all the same size. There is one square in the center. Then there are squares that surround that in the second row from the center. Then there are squares that surround that at the outer edge of the square. The rubber in the center of that giant sheet is the best quality rubber. The closer it is to the edge, the lower the quality. But, not really by that much.

So, the very center cut of the rubber, which would be 1 sheet, is given to players on the National Team in China. The Sheets cut in the row surrounding the center sheet are giving to players on the Provincial teams in China. There would be 8 sheets in this row that is given to the provincial team. The sheets of rubber cut from the outside edge of the rubber are simply sold commercially. There would be 16 sheets in this outer row on that original giant sheet of rubber.

Now, how the Provincial and National sheets get sold is by players who have been given them, selling them.

There is a lot of stuff out there that claims to be Provincial or National that is not. There is a lot of stuff out there that is simply counterfeit.

But the important information is that a well boosted commercial version of H3 sometimes plays just as well as a Provincial or National version. In reality, there is sometimes not much difference at all. So if you try your commercial version and really don't like it after it has been boosted, then, the next thing to find out, is, if you got ripped off and were sold a counterfeit. Because H3 is actually pretty good rubber. If it is not counterfeit, then you probably just don't like:

Hard, Tacky, NON-BOUNCY Hurricane rubbers. Hurricane rubber is nothing like European rubber or Japanese rubber. And you need an entirely different technique and method of contacting the ball when you use them because Euro/Jap rubbers use a smooth topsheet that grabs the ball when the ball sinks into the sponge. As the ball sinks in, the topsheet wraps around the ball and then it can grab it. H3 sponge is Hard, Hard, Hard in comparison to Euro/Jap rubbers. The topsheet is tacky not smooth, it is sticky not grippy. So, to get sponge deformation you have to take a monstrously large swing. And when you take that giant swing, this rubber is actually pretty fast even if it has not been boosted. Also, because of the topsheet, if you really know how to brush the ball so that you use the effect of the tackiness, then this rubber is super fast if you are looping close to the table. This information is also why H3 is ultimately not a good backhand rubber. The backhand stroke can never be big enough and have enough of the power of the body behind it, to make use of this rubbers unique qualities.

says Hi all you players out there [IMG] My name is Philip...
May 2013
Thank you very much, UpSideDownCarl. :) I agree on everything you are saying. My current rubbers (Andro rasant) are very bouncy and so have my previous rubbers been. This can maybe be why I struggle to play with the Hurricane. My technique simply isn't fitted to play with the hard sticky rubbers. I am although a fast learner. ;) It will be funny to see if the boost will make the rubber meet my standards. Thank you again for the explanation, now I finally know why there are a difference and how big the difference is. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is a diagram:

photo.jpg

Reactions: PhilipRJ
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Is one of those national or provincial H3 faster when they're boosted compared to an unboosted tenergy rubber?

I will answer this in this way.

When a CNT player has a player backed up and is smashing instead of looping, they flip their racket to the Tenergy side. You do the math.

Reactions: PhilipRJ
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
By the way, the reason I stopped using H3 on my forehand, which I used for a few years, I started noticing that, after 2-3 weeks, I needed a new rubber because I was wearing dead spots in my topsheet. The dead spot was only in the spot where I hit the ball. It was a small circular spot where all the tackiness had worn out and, at that one spot, the rubber acted almost like antispin. Changing rubbers ever 2-3 weeks is not what I wanted. I have been using the current sheet of Xiom Omega IV Pro that is on my forehand for almost 6 months. It is very worn, but, it still grabs the ball solidly. A new sheet would grab a little better. But it is still good enough. Whereas, after 3 weeks with H3, I really was wasting my time trying to loop.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
now that I look at it... They do. hahaha I did find it easier to win smash/lob using my tenergy side rather than my h3.

Bounce vs no bounce. :)

But, because of this, if you are trying to learn technique and you are trying to learn the forehand snap part of a forehand loop and keeping your elbow stable, Tenergy is a better rubber for that. If you watch all the Chinese players, they do use the forearm snap in their big strokes. But if you tried to learn to loop without having the forehand snap, using a rubber like H3 could make learning and using forehand snap very hard. The Chinese forehand loop takes a high degree of technical proficiency and you need to already have mastered the action of the forearm in the loop before working on that bigger swing and timing the forearm snap with the motion of the shoulder.

So, to learn the first part of the technique of a good forehand loop, European and Japanese rubbers are very useful. Many players never get to a level where they would need to master the Chinese loop. Tenergy is good rubber. More efficiency.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Is one of those national or provincial H3 faster when they're boosted compared to an unboosted commercial tenergy rubber?​

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Bounce vs no bounce. :)

But, because of this, if you are trying to learn technique and you are trying to learn the forehand snap part of a forehand loop and keeping your elbow stable, Tenergy is a better rubber for that. If you watch all the Chinese players, they do use the forearm snap in their big strokes. But if you tried to learn to loop without having the forehand snap, using a rubber like H3 could make learning and using forehand snap very hard. The Chinese forehand loop takes a high degree of technical proficiency and you need to already have mastered the action of the forearm in the loop before working on that bigger swing and timing the forearm snap with the motion of the shoulder.

So, to learn the first part of the technique of a good forehand loop, European and Japanese rubbers are very useful. Many players never get to a level where they would need to master the Chinese loop. Tenergy is good rubber. More efficiency.

I started out with Mark V then moved to T64/T05fx to my now current setup. When I switched from Tenergy to H3, my euro swing had to be changed to chinese for forehand. Awkward at first, but my game changed a lot in a positive way. Hopefully I will not be spending 100s of dollars replacing my forehand rubber every month.

When it comes to unboosted H3 Provincial vs unboosted tenergy, in my opinion, tenergy is definitely faster but H3 produces more spin. Boosted, I have no opinion yet until monday when I purchase a new H3 Neo Blue Sponge that will be boosted.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
By the way, the reason I stopped using H3 on my forehand, which I did for a few years, I started noticing that, after 2-3 weeks, I needed a new rubber because I was wearing dead spots in my topsheet. The dead spot was only in the spot where I hit the ball. It was a small circular spot where all the tackiness had worn out and, at that one spot, the rubber acted almost like antispin. Changing rubbers ever 2-3 weeks is not what I wanted. I have been using the current sheet of Xiom Omega IV Pro that is on my forehand for almost 6 months. It is very worn, but, it still grabs the ball solidly. A new sheet would grab a little better. But it is still good enough. Whereas, after 3 weeks with H3, I really was wasting my time trying to loop.

I am pretty sure that you clean your rubbers after playing and you have a bag or a case for your blade. But did you have a Rubber Protection Film for your Hurricane 3?
I use this one http://eacheng.net/index.php?act=detail&ID=1245 and it helps to keep the tackyness amazingly...

Before you read, I want to make a disclaimer. All of my opinions come from experience. There is no exact science here. It comes from a personal experience with H3, but there is no guarantee that they represent the real quality of H3 (including commercial, Provincial and National).

There are some disadvantages of H3 when it is compared to Tenergy. But I would rather say that they are different kind of rubber with their unique pros and cons.

But for those who want to stop using H3 before really trying to get into its real power, let me share some reasons why I continue to use H3 (about 5 years to date):
1. H3 gives me a very spiny service, chop, loop and top spin. I thus gives more edge in the play.

2. It is good for service return. However how strong the spin of the service, it is considerably easy to control the ball, because it is not bouncy. (mistakenly, some people for this reason use it in backhand i.e. they have difficulty returning a spiny service at the backhand side. In this case, it is better to learn backhand receive and flick rather than using H3)

3. The loop from H3 is very spiny, low arc and considerably short. True, H3 is not great for smash. But the opponent will generally have difficulty to block or control the ball. The loop and top spin from Tenergy and similar rubbers are easier to predict, both its direction and its amount of spin, H3 is more difficult.

4. The combination. Because I use Japan or German Rubber at my BH, I find the combination is quite effective. With spiny loop and top spin from FH, then a fast and forward punch and top spin from BH. The success rate of the attack is generally high.

5. With H3 I find it is easier to play close and middle to the table. When I tried to replace my FH with tenergy, for example, it forces me to get into middle distance most of the time. If you like to stay close to the table, you might want to consider H3.

6. It has also considerably more edge in touch, placement and drive. The sticky surface somehow gives some unexpected spin to a ball that otherwise a no-spin stroke.

Again, this is just a personal taste and experience. It might not suit everyone.

In the past I always use H3 with speed glue. But with the ban, I tried Neo versions of H3 and Skyline-3. Without speed glue, H3-National version is the worse. It is hard, slow and heavy. The blue sponge is even harder to use. But with speed glue they are really monster. Also, in my opinion H3-P with speed glue is the best for a club player, although it is easily wear-off, and in some cases created some bubbles in the top sheet. With the Neo versions (I only tried the commercial/8 edges and provincial/6 edges), it lasts longer and has a better consistency.

If you want to try H3, look for a softer sponge (this is a major difference with Japanese sponge which only have two version: normal and fx). The best to start is the sponge with hardness 38-39. But seasoned users will like to use sponge with hardness between 42-44.

Finally, I would say with Japan and German sponges, the ball last longer. Because the rubber grab the ball into the soft material. With H3, the ball will slightly deformed in the hitting. So chance is, the ball will have a shorter life :)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am pretty sure that you clean your rubbers after playing and you have a bag or a case for your blade. But did you have a Rubber Protection Film for your Hurricane 3?
I use this one http://eacheng.net/index.php?act=detail&ID=1245 and it helps to keep the tackyness amazingly...

Yeah, I clean them during play and after. I have plastic protective sheets I put over my rubbers. It is just something about how I contact the ball that causes me to create that dead spot in each H3 rubber after a few weeks use. Perhaps others will not do this.

I also do have a racket case.

Last edited:
May 2013
Before you read, I want to make a disclaimer. All of my opinions come from experience. There is no exact science here. It comes from a personal experience with H3, but there is no guarantee that they represent the real quality of H3 (including commercial, Provincial and National).

There are some disadvantages of H3 when it is compared to Tenergy. But I would rather say that they are different kind of rubber with their unique pros and cons.

But for those who want to stop using H3 before really trying to get into its real power, let me share some reasons why I continue to use H3 (about 5 years to date):
1. H3 gives me a very spiny service, chop, loop and top spin. I thus gives more edge in the play.

2. It is good for service return. However how strong the spin of the service, it is considerably easy to control the ball, because it is not bouncy. (mistakenly, some people for this reason use it in backhand i.e. they have difficulty returning a spiny service at the backhand side. In this case, it is better to learn backhand receive and flick rather than using H3)

3. The loop from H3 is very spiny, low arc and considerably short. True, H3 is not great for smash. But the opponent will generally have difficulty to block or control the ball. The loop and top spin from Tenergy and similar rubbers are easier to predict, both its direction and its amount of spin, H3 is more difficult.

4. The combination. Because I use Japan or German Rubber at my BH, I find the combination is quite effective. With spiny loop and top spin from FH, then a fast and forward punch and top spin from BH. The success rate of the attack is generally high.

5. With H3 I find it is easier to play close and middle to the table. When I tried to replace my FH with tenergy, for example, it forces me to get into middle distance most of the time. If you like to stay close to the table, you might want to consider H3.

6. It has also considerably more edge in touch, placement and drive. The sticky surface somehow gives some unexpected spin to a ball that otherwise a no-spin stroke.

Again, this is just a personal taste and experience. It might not suit everyone.

In the past I always use H3 with speed glue. But with the ban, I tried Neo versions of H3 and Skyline-3. Without speed glue, H3-National version is the worse. It is hard, slow and heavy. The blue sponge is even harder to use. But with speed glue they are really monster. Also, in my opinion H3-P with speed glue is the best for a club player, although it is easily wear-off, and in some cases created some bubbles in the top sheet. With the Neo versions (I only tried the commercial/8 edges and provincial/6 edges), it lasts longer and has a better consistency.

If you want to try H3, look for a softer sponge (this is a major difference with Japanese sponge which only have two version: normal and fx). The best to start is the sponge with hardness 38-39. But seasoned users will like to use sponge with hardness between 42-44.

Finally, I would say with Japan and German sponges, the ball last longer. Because the rubber grab the ball into the soft material. With H3, the ball will slightly deformed in the hitting. So chance is, the ball will have a shorter life :)

Thanks for sharing your experience. This is very helpful. It is pretty clear that you should use the H3 in the forehand. ;)

This user has no status.
I bought a H3 national 40 degrees orange sponge from TTNPP a while back. I have a fairly large swing so I wanted to try it out and see the difference compared to the regular euro/japanese rubbers that I've been playing with all my life. I bought some Haifu Seamoon Booster to go with it. The price was about the same as one sheet of Tenergy. After applying two layers of booster and waiting a couple of days for it to de-curl, I glued the rubber onto my spare TB ALC.
I agree with Dennis excellent description above. I just want to add that you can also do sweeping topspins over the table with a lot of spin and control. The sound is also quite different, a more crisp sound than you might be used to compared to tensors. It is slower if you do a passive stroke. The key is to be active all the time, but this is a good thing, right?

I might switch over, but I have two main concerns:
1) The weight of the rubber is substantial. I use Tenergy 05-FX on backhand, and have done so for a long time. These two make a quite heavy racket when combined. I need to either switch from Tenergy to a lighter rubber or find a lighter blade. I'm looking at the Viscaria Light for this.
2) It is not really known if you can get these high quality rubbers in the future. As many have said, the commercial versions are different. That is my opinion as well. The others I have tried have been quite different compared to the national version.

I'll get back to you if I make the switch, and thanks again Denni for putting words to my thoughts!