Million Dollar question..... Actually £30 question

This user has no status.
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Thats great thanks you Kenta. sorry to be a pain in the a>se but my next problem would be getting the rubbers onto the blade, i suppose someone at my local club would be able to do it for me. so is the shriver L a BH rubber as i will be parting less spin on my BH compared to my FH ?

This user has no status.
Thats great thanks you Kenta. sorry to be a pain in the a>se but my next problem would be getting the rubbers onto the blade, i suppose someone at my local club would be able to do it for me. so is the shriver L a BH rubber as i will be parting less spin on my BH compared to my FH ?

Np mate,im helping because i want,and i was a pain in the ass for somebody back in the days too :)
Sriver L is an Allround rubber,you can use it for FH or BH,but is quiet better for BH since is more stable and got a harder sponge then Sriver FX,so your shots from BH will come out from your bat faster,but still,pretty stable.And even for blocking,is a peace of cake ;)
Dont mind the lose of a bit of speed in the FH with Sriver FX,your arm will get you the enough speed when needed,and more then that,you will always have a strong spin for serve and looping.
The woods i recommended you got a pretty good feeling,you can hold well the ball when you receive it(a way of forgiveness).
About glueing the rubbers,at your local club most likely they will help you with that,just be sure thats someone with experience!
I shall be forgeting something,but feel free to ask if you have any doubts! :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That one is a lot better than the others. I do use Xiom rubbers and like them. They are good. Some people really like those Vega rubbers. I think they are fine. I don't love that wood. I have hit with it. It is not bad. It is okay. It is not great.

The setups I said would be better. But, Der_Echte has a real point. The equipment he is talking about is really actually pretty good and outrageously inexpensive. You really have to know what you are talking about and search to find stuff like he is mentioning that is that inexpensive and still as good as it is. So, if you want to go with the name brands what I said would be about the same price as the Xiom preassembled bat, and what Der_Echte is talking about is pretty much within your original budget and still quite comparable to the stuff that is around 80 Euros.

Reactions: Der_Echte
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Often when you order from a place, they will put the rubbers on if you ask them to. With online stores there is a button to click that says something like, "have us assemble for you". But, there are always people at any real table tennis club that can do it for you and who have done it so many times that it will come out perfect.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Junky, when you play this sport a little and invariably become an EQUIPMENT JUNKIE, you will do this stuff in your sleep. Yup, watch out for EJ syndrome, it can kill your wallet, and maybe your TT health.
^^

I was infected with the EJ virus and there's no cure for it.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
^^

I was infected with the EJ virus and there's no cure for it.

There are, sometimes. The best players I know don't really seem to care that much about equipment. They have something they like and they just use it. I used to play at a club where there were tons of players with all kinds of equipment. I used to try everything. At a certain point, I started knowing the things that really work for me. I also started improving. I still like trying other people's stuff but I don't feel like I need to. Sometimes I try something and I think: "wow, that feels pretty good." Sometimes I don't like what I try even when the equipment is expensive and popular.

But the important thing is, I know I have something that works for me. I also know that, even if I had something that did not really work for me 100%, equipment is not as important as what you do with it, when you have reasonably high quality equipment.

But, for Golfjunky's question, probably the best answer, that meets his financial needs and will fit the bill for getting him a setup that is good for learning and developing, PROBABLY Der_Echte GAVE THE BEST INFORMATION.

Golfjunky, I would look through that website Der_Echte gave the link for, get what he suggested and then find someone to put it together for you, that is, if they don't put it together for you. It will not be hard to put it together. That website has information on doing it. There are videos to help you do it on line. And if you are in the UK and going to clubs there, there will be loads of people able to help you put your equipment together perfectly.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
The best players I know don't really seem to care that much about equipment. They have something they like and they just use it.

This was what happened to me at certain time,not meaning that im the best,but with alot of experience in table tennis.
With experience,you can "see" what fits you,or not.
Other thing, "Listen to your TT friends and get something that is quality and will allow you to grow." (Der_Echte)
They can be your info proviser,the real ones,so,listen well,ask,dont be afraid,and try to feel the difference,when you play with a friends bat,then ask your training mates the differences between the one you are playing normally,and the one that you have in hand,from you friend,and see your conclusion was that right.
I guess you will feel when that rubbers,or that blade,is for you!
JUst dont EJ around...it can take you ATM money away,and thats a big regret,cuz most,will be museum with time.And im saying most,yes,cuz some,will also be classics!
Hope i've helped you.
My english is not that best,but my will is help other people,hope you understand me. :)
Greetings all & remember,training is the source that keep you evolving,not the expensive bats ;)

This user has no status.
Well Kenta, Ur English is excellent and your heart is in the right place, so don't sweat a thing. I feel the same way if I post in a German TT forum, but I get my point across just fine the first time, that is what counts.

Thanks mate,is always nice when we can interact with other country members,specially when they are into something you like.
So my mission here,is clarify anyone about anything i have knowlegde about,with my gathered experience,and learn always more,with people that have more experience then me.
I learned with the tops of my city,just seeing them,cuz they didnt teached much,like talking about it to me seeing my mistakes,and how to improve it.I did have to do my own homework alone,sometimes,with people of my age(6,7,8,9...yo),that all they got,was the love for the sport,the table tennis in itself,so,they(my friends) and me,we discussed what we found bad,and good,about us,always motivating each other to win...
...today,i see the things how they were,and how they are,and i see it going bad for table tennis here in portugal.Much less people is attending to tournaments,people left the table tennis very soon(when i say soon,i mean people who plays it like for 1-2 years...and gone),because they got no one to assist them,and provide them with the info and attention that this kids/teenagers need,much less the discipline.
By this testament( xD ),I want to say that i understand how hard is to get into table tennis,with no notions of what it is about,besides the premade bat that everyone of us had played at school.
Because of that, I would beg anyone of you to share your knowlegde and help rookies anytime that possible,may seem some time lost,but if you guess,that kid or teenagers that you are "teaching" or explaining something to,tomorrow can be the WCC or something like,and i guess you would be proud to see him at that stage. And You(the rookie,not you Der_echte :D)share your thoughts,even they seem mad,because the only way to get the answers,is questioning.
Im quiet new here,but hope that my experience in this sport can help someone.

Table Tennist hugs everyone

keep trainin'

Last edited: