multiball training, OUCH!!!!!!

This user has no status.
So, sad I know but tonight I did my first lot of multiball training with my friend. 120 balls a time and various speed and spin.
Damn I can barely walk and my arm feels like it's gonna fall off. Always thought it was a load of crap but obviously professionals do this for a reason.
Maybe 3hrs of non stop TT is a bit much for my ageing bones but feels good to know I've learnt a few things about my strokes and why the one's that land on the table do and the ones that don't, don't.
icon14.png
icon14.png
icon14.png

Great night and look forward to the next session.:):):)

P.S Felt like my right arm was chopped off, no academy for 2weeks :(:(:(

Reactions: WiWa
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The Korean coaches here in Korean clubs seem to be on a mission to smoke the living crap out of those taking lessons. You think multiball is bad, wait until you do some single ball combos involving a lot of explosive movement and powerful strokes!

Doesn't even take 20 minutes to bring an energetic and strong player to a very exhausted state.

Stay with it. It's for your own good. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So, sad I know but tonight I did my first lot of multiball training with my friend. 120 balls a time and various speed and spin.
Damn I can barely walk and my arm feels like it's gonna fall off. Always thought it was a load of crap but obviously professionals do this for a reason.
Maybe 3hrs of non stop TT is a bit much for my ageing bones but feels good to know I've learnt a few things about my strokes and why the one's that land on the table do and the ones that don't, don't.
icon14.png
icon14.png
icon14.png

Great night and look forward to the next session.:):):)

P.S Felt like my right arm was chopped off, no academy for 2weeks :(:(:(

Don't you just love it. :) I love that feeling when I can feel the blood pumping through my legs and then they start feeling like rubber.

The first time I did a three point multi-ball drill with Michael Landers feeding me multi-ball (he is really good at feeding multiball, especially for an american) :) he swore I was going to be sore the next day cause he was really killing me. But the thing is, I work out almost ever day, I teach yoga, I do shadow footwork drills in front of a mirror, I do those ladder footwork drills, my legs are strong. So, it takes a lot of multiball to get my legs sore. And I am 48. So, you can work up to it and get a lot stronger and faster. And as your stroke and your accuracy get better during those drills, it means a lot of things are starting to go right.

But multiball really gets the cardio going too and that, I need. There are lots of things, like those drills Der_Echte is talking about that my legs can handle but my lungs cannot. But, it is interesting how, as you work on it, that gets better too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
Multiball is definitely nothing to be taken lightly. haha I usually feel like a noodle after each drill.

Haha, Trust me I feel like a bag off noodles. Is a very good workout though. People at work laugh at my expense because I play ping pong, 2mins of multiball will change their minds.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
People at work laugh at my expense because I play ping pong, 2mins of multiball will change their minds.

Yep. They have no idea. hahaha

Usually for those people, I show them this video:

This is the drill Landers has killed me with. 40 minutes worth. He did keep saying, "do you want to change drills yet?" But I kept saying, "more."

Last edited:
This user has no status.

This is the drill Landers has killed me with. 40 minutes worth. He did keep saying, "do you want to change drills yet?" But I kept saying, "more."

Ouch, It's soooooo energetic. Let's play PING PONG Phwaaaa

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011

all i can say is :
i_hilarious_moar_pictures_022_501591bd2c4bc.jpg

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Oh, and no regrets(because you can't change the past) but really wish I continued to play when I was 12 but it just wasn't possible, so here 25 years later I'm catching up on all those years I lost.

And....LOVING every minute

Inspiring! Great to here Scoops!

And yes multi ball sure is tough! We do multi ball every Tuesday so you won't be missing those sessions!

Love that video of Xu Xin that Carl posted. The speed is phenomenal!

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

This user has no status.
Im here 10 Years later from where i stopped too.
It seem a little,compared to 25,but i believe that everyone who touched a real bat,and played this sport competitively,will never forget it,and will never lose that little "bug" inside on them to play again.And believe me,most come back for more! :) Its like honey. When you taste it is hard to left.(You might not like honey :p ahaha)
So...keep it going.You know every effort you put on it will worth every sweat's drop.
So,welcome back...and get ready for the "fights",you will want to have some :D

Greetings

keep trainin'

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Multiball is a pinnacle part of high performance table tennis training and once you get into a rhythm for it, it feels great ;) But yes, I used to do 200 buckets and it really does you the first few times especially if you haven't done it before or haven't done it for quite a while. For example I have only done a few multiball sessions so far this year so if I were to do one now it would be hard work!

You learn different things though and it develops the right kind of fitness for your footwork and really hammers things into your head and muscle memory ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
We do multiball-practice at my club sometimes. 1-2 boxes of balls each (7-15 minutes or so). I always choose looping at underspin. I tend to hurt my shoulder. May be due to lack of hips, arm technique and use of hard tacky chinese forehand rubber at the current time. Couldn't attack in the rest of the training session, because my arm hurted too much.
Legs felt nicely used as always doing practice :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Hey Scoops, let's do it again.
I did some more with ST the following day. I was grunting like Maria Sharapova as I worked my way through 100 spin ups, sweat pouring off me like the niagarra falls. I don't think the kids that were waiting to play 5 aside could quite believe their eyes - two old men whirling about like dervishes!;)
Gives you a high though.
Gonna film it next time, Dan can tell us where we are going wrong.

SpinQuark warms up for multiball...

Last edited: