Jun Mizutani

says Hello Guys , I love Table Tennis Just like you guys...
Apr 2011
Is Jun Mizutani Going Through a Very bad moment?
He has been losing some Games.
Why do you guys think this is?

406514_261566733920923_1916107629_n.365x265.jpg

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I think he's too soft and has too much of a tendency to go back from the table. Yes, he is a good touch player, a good lobber and achieves good spin, HOWEVER sometimes his lack of aggression can cause him problems and let his opponents gain control over the table. Mizutani has had some good 'one-off' results against China, he beat Hao Shuai once, Wang Hao once, Yan An once, Ma Lin once. I think to stay at the top he really needs to start competing with the likes of Ma Long, Xu Xin, Zhang Jike and also Chuang, Joo etc his ability to compete with the rest of the top 10 is slowing down (now being 11th) and he's struggling with players below and I think he will really need to step up to get back into his previous position.

Reactions: Dan
Apr 2011
I think he's too soft and has too much of a tendency to go back from the table. Yes, he is a good touch player, a good lobber and achieves good spin, HOWEVER sometimes his lack of aggression can cause him problems and let his opponents gain control over the table. Mizutani has had some good 'one-off' results against China, he beat Hao Shuai once, Wang Hao once, Yan An once, Ma Lin once. I think to stay at the top he really needs to start competing with the likes of Ma Long, Xu Xin, Zhang Jike and also Chuang, Joo etc his ability to compete with the rest of the top 10 is slowing down (now being 11th) and he's struggling with players below and I think he will really need to step up to get back into his previous position.

I totally agree, He has to be more aggressive! ive notice sometimes when he plays aggressive he does extremely good but for some reason he Stops and ends up losing the match

He also doesn't move his feet enough. After he moves for a long away shot he just stands there instead of refocusing himself back in the middle. So for instance someone hits it on his far backhand and he runs to get it, he leaves his forehand way open. And this makes it easy for his opponents to take advantage of this.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Great points here guys, I agree also with Matt about his passiveness. I think over the last few years he has got away with playing with lots of control and countering his opponent but I think players are getting use to his style. He is not threatening enough to the top players, he needs to attack and add weapons to his game. Hopefully the rise of his team mates Koki Niwa and Kenta and even new kid on the block Shiono Masato may help push him to being more aggressive. However in saying this, I do feel the players outside the top 10 have got a lot better recently and a lot of players are improving and coming through.

I still love Jun's game, beautiful to watch.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Read 3 reviews
I thought after his break after the olympics he was doing better, but the wttc was really disappointing, however I wasn't too upset, as Boll would have had a more difficult match in the round of 16 :)

He is trying to stay closer to the table (look at his match against Baum in 2005, I am really wondering how he could win so much just by lobbing most of the time), he played really well against xu xin in the world team cup this year, performaces and disappointments are not far from each other. Let's not forget that we all thought that kenta was gone, thinking that he is way too passive to win against topplayers, until the wttc... he's one of the most passive players I know, have you ever seen any player letting xu xin attack because it is easier than opening up? really crazy!

I don't think he should play harder, but be mentally tougher, I think that is the main issue. He was 3-1 up against chen chieh an and remember at the world cup he was 3-0 up against zhang jike? His playing style is not the problem, the only thing is the lobbing, but I think he doesn't do it too often nowadays

Reactions: WiWa
says Table tennis shop: http://www.killypong.be
says Table tennis shop: http://www.killypong.be
Mar 2011
I thought after his break after the olympics he was doing better, but the wttc was really disappointing, however I wasn't too upset, as Boll would have had a more difficult match in the round of 16 :)

He is trying to stay closer to the table (look at his match against Baum in 2005, I am really wondering how he could win so much just by lobbing most of the time), he played really well against xu xin in the world team cup this year, performaces and disappointments are not far from each other. Let's not forget that we all thought that kenta was gone, thinking that he is way too passive to win against topplayers, until the wttc... he's one of the most passive players I know, have you ever seen any player letting xu xin attack because it is easier than opening up? really crazy!

I don't think he should play harder, but be mentally tougher, I think that is the main issue. He was 3-1 up against chen chieh an and remember at the world cup he was 3-0 up against zhang jike? His playing style is not the problem, the only thing is the lobbing, but I think he doesn't do it too often nowadays

Filip ge zijt hier de verstandigste :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Haha, these are nearly identical comments people on internet forums were saying about him when he was WR upper 20s, BEFORE he made it to top ten WR.

Yet, I have to agree with a lot of the comments. You just do not get away for very long playing anything less then a flexible OFF game with a strong attack when needed, unless your last name is JOO. Easily, the top 5 WR players will crush you ruthlessly for playing like that on a consistent basis.

Still yet, I would be SO HAPPY to have even 1/2 the control and game Jun Mizutani got.

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I think it often comes down to the fact that he doesn't have a strong follow up attacking game, sometimes he can play a great attacking ball but then revert to being passive again if it gets even a mild counter attacking ball. If he really had that killer instinct and a sense of conviction I think he could be pressing more pressure on the top 5, but currently I think he will either cling on to the latter half of the top 10 or fall back a bit, perhaps in doing so he will adapt to move back up again, we will have to wait and see.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
He's been playing like this before quite a long time and i think the what he needs most in playing is mental toughness, be consistent enough on aggressiveness and play like it's the final game of your life.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
To me, it seems like not only Jun, but few players, like Koki also lack of something, not in term of skill. However, they may not let the opponent feels that they are fierce or aggressive, which could give opponent some pressure. I have notice this on other kind of sports as well...

As for kenta, I believe the history match in wttc between him and ma lin gives him confidence that he has the chance to beat ma lin. So, he did proof it to himself this time.