This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
I hear this sentence too often
i.e. I was ill and went to the doctor. He gave me antibiotics and I asked him whether I am allowed to do sports.
He said: You cannot do sports ... what sport do you want to do?
I said: Tabletennis
He replied: Oh than it's no problem...I thought u mean football or something...

It's a fact, that these people have no idea how athletic tt is and how exhausting it can be (if u try hard)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@MrRothHaendle
That doctor should watch China Open 2003 Kong Linghui - Joo Se Hyuk and he will say that you will better go play football rather than TT..

Good one YosuaYosan. That is the match to show anyone who says Table Tennis is not a sport.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
@MrRothHaendle
That doctor should watch China Open 2003 Kong Linghui - Joo Se Hyuk and he will say that you will better go play football rather than TT..
Thats a bit exaggerating, but doh that doctor know nothing about TT :(

I had actually never seen that match before (it is from before my time xD). Glad u pointed that out, I just went to watch the highlights on YouTube. What a match... Certainly an inspiration for every tt player and especially defenders I think.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I had actually never seen that match before (it is from before my time xD). Glad u pointed that out, I just went to watch the highlights on YouTube. What a match... Certainly an inspiration for every tt player and especially defenders I think.

Kong Linghui vs Joo Se Hyuk at the China Open 2003 is my favorite match of all time. Amazing. And the way the last three games of the match all go the distance (11-9 or deuce and past) is great to watch. That is the match I use to show anyone who wants to see top flight Table Tennis. Often people who do not play Table Tennis will not understand what is going on in a match between two offensive players where the most of the points end quickly. But everyone who sees that match will understand that what they are watching is high level Table Tennis and takes a lot of skill and athletic ability.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@Carl
I heard of this club in NY haha, seems like a pretty cool place to play tt. U are right about the precision part. Also I think if u throw in too much power and energy it will make lose ur accuracy and tactics. This is also the case in other sports for accuracy but not for tactis mostly since tactics are realtively important in tt compared to other sports.

I agree, too much power is not what you want. Precision and timing. I am consistently told by better players that I am using too much arm and not enough body and that I am trying too hard.

As far as Spin NY goes, it is interesting. It is not a good club to play or train at, in my opinion. There are top pros there (or at least US top pros), and then the rest of the people are basement level players. That is sort of the crowd they are looking for. They do not have memberships where you can go and play. Even people who have memberships are renting tables by the hour, which means you would not jump from table to table and change who you are playing against. And most of the players there are corporate people who are coming from work and either playing with friends or on a date. The matches would not be interesting usually. But there is a real entertainment level there so it is a good place to go and watch the best pros in NYC playing against each other. That competition in the video happens every week with different players. Too bad Waldner and Applegren are not there every week. :) But the level of play is good and who ever wins the competition gets real money, $500.00, which is not bad. So they all play hard and want to win.

But the club I play at is much better for training and improving your skills. There are two areas in the club where people just do drills the whole time and do not play matches. And then there is the area where people are playing matches. If you want to do drills, you just go and tell them you want to work into the rotation and they rotate people out so everybody gets a chance. There is usually someone there telling people what drills it would be best for them to do. But when he is not there people just sort that out for themselves. If you want to play matches, you go and call next on the table you want to play a match on. 3 tables for drills; 6 tables for matches. And then there are the tables where people are getting lessons.

The club is in NYC's China Town and is called NYTTF: http://nyttf.com/

At my club you can rent a table by the hour but most people do not. Instead, you can pay for play time on any table. I have a yearly membership of unlimited play. I don't go with anyone. I show up and know everybody there. So it is a club in that sense. I think the people at Spin are more random people who came on that night. When they have those pro competitions at Spin, the people watching are mostly people who really know Table Tennis. During the competition there are always people playing on the other tables. Usually they cannot play and it never occurs to them to watch the pros.

But both places have their purpose. And I have to appreciate what the people who opened Spin are trying to do to make Table Tennis more popular. They are doing a good job of getting regular people more interested in playing. The more Table Tennis the better. And it is a lot of fun to go to a place where you can drink a few beers, order some food and watch top notch Table Tennis from 10 feet away.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Yea both sounds like a really good way to enjoy table tennis, for entertainment and to improve your own game. At my club everyone has a year membership and we get group practise sessions several times a week with 1 trainer. But there is by far not as many people where I live as where u live so just showing up wouldn't really work. If I want to practise at a time other than the group training sessions I just call one of the guys from the club to practise against.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yea both sounds like a really good way to enjoy table tennis, for entertainment and to improve your own game. At my club everyone has a year membership and we get group practise sessions several times a week with 1 trainer. But there is by far not as many people where I live as where u live so just showing up wouldn't really work. If I want to practise at a time other than the group training sessions I just call one of the guys from the club to practise against.

It is good to have people around that are focused on learning to play better and have seen what coaching sessions look like and participated in them. But I do feel fortunate to practice and play in NYC. Unlike the rest of this country where the overall level of Table Tennis play and awareness is really low, in the right circles, in NYC there are a lot of higher level players. Too bad the highest level pros here in the US are so far behind that of the top 100 in the world. I think the top ranked players in the US don't appear on the charts till around 300. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
That is the same in the Netherlands after the retirement of Danny Heister and Trinko Keen ;). But I don't need that kind of level, since I will never reach it I am left with enough class players to have a good practise against ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I agree. I don't need to practice against people who are top 20 in the world. :) But I would love to be able to watch them train and play matches only a few feet away from me, rather than on video or in the audience at an arena.

100% agree with that haha. I know a guy I played against in competition who went to the WTTC as photographer for a news site. He sat right next to the centre court with his amateur camera between all the big camera's haha but he had an awesome view at every match on the main tables.