Replacement of TBS and TB ALC!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Good morning!

Would you like to help me in the following questions.
I play with a Timo Boll ALC and played with Timo Boll Spirit, but needed to buy a new blade.
Butterfly seen to be very expensive, I ask your opinion of a wooden cheaper even from other brands, having similar characteristics or even better than these two.
Is that love these two woods, but they are really expensive, what is the alternative??

Unfold already thank you for your opinions
Thank you!:)

Reactions: aspitalak
This user has no status.
y u need to buy a new blade? Are they broken or something? Or u just wanna try a wood blade?

Both TBS and ALC are really great blades regardless of price. U might end up with a worse blade even if u're willing to pay more than what u spent on a TBS/ALC.

If u still want a new blade maybe u can sell 1 of your blades for extra budget?

Reactions: lucio
This user has no status.
I assure you now, Xiom blades such as Xiom Amadeus are top quality blades.
I personally think Xiom equipment is the most underrated equipment I have ever seen or used.
The quality to price ratio is so much higher than Butterfly it's unbelievable.
But in the end, if you're willing to pay that extra ~$30 per blade, TB stuff is great :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I do not think any of the clones play exactly like the TBS. There is only one TBS and it is the TBS. Nothing feels and plays the same.

That is not saying you might like something else in its speed class or performs some shots like the TBS, but you will be disappointed in how different it feels.

Saying all that, I simply love my Nexy Arirang and the Tibhar Inca, but both these blades cost more than a TBS. They also feel different, but very pleasing to me. Look around and keep trying your mates' gear. Maybe you run across a combo that pleases you. discovering is fun. Trying to buy everything and discover what works and does not is also fun, but very expensive.

I am in a very good position in my time in Korea. I get to visit a ton of clubs and make friends. I try their gear if I never saw it. I also get gear from my sponsor from time to time and can test anything when I visit the Nexy HQ. That has allowed me to test a number of stuff more than the average player, not everything under the sun, but a goodly chunk of it. I was fortunate to discover the TBS early in my TT playing time and have the same view of it as you... it is immortal.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
I have a few Butterfly ALC blades as well as the Donic Baum Esprit. The Donic is much thicker at 6.2mm+ while ALC are all between 5.7 to 5.8mm. By spec the Donic use Aramid Carbon instead of Arylate. Not sure how different the structure is in terms of performance but sure they look similar. They all play somewhat differently and do not feel the same, but close enough to be consider the same family.

Reactions: Suga D and lucio
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
Feb 2013
reket.jpgreket1.jpgreket2.jpgreket4.jpg Check this out

Reactions: fais and lucio
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Another option for you is to do what I did.

After My ALC, TBS, and (yes AND !!!) M. Maze became unserviceable... (Yes everyone, I am Hell on blades, whether it is battle damage or other club members entering my playing area during my big stroke and get their body in the way...)

After that, I did not want to spend over $100 USD on a TBS just to expose it to danger, so I waited for Nexy Arirang to come out, since I knew I would be bale to long term test it for free and had already tested a prototype that pleased me greatly. Thing is, it was a couple months from hitting the market, so I got me a cheepo Galaxy 896 ALL+ to OFF- looping blade and played on. It forced me to play more rallies as it was very difficult to hit through anyone on the first or second ball.

I ended up playing 5 months with it and it really helped out my overall game when I returned to a true OFF class blade with feel. I had more options and better control than the time before using just the OFF blade.

So... in the meantime while you save for a TBS or other blade you like... it could be good sense to use such a blade in the time you are saving up.

Feb 2013
Good afternoon!

I ended up buying Donic Baum Esprit! For the next week I'm going to try and leave here my opinion about her!
Quite cheap compared to ALC and TBS!!! :)

Thanks for all your opinions!!

Beliave me you did a good job, it's not 100% the same but it's very very simillar, you will like it, and just one thing more. The handle may be not as comfortable as on ALC, try to brush it with brush paper

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Good afternoon!

I ended up buying Donic Baum Esprit! For the next week I'm going to try and leave here my opinion about her!
Quite cheap compared to ALC and TBS!!! :)

Thanks for all your opinions!!
I have the Esprit and it has very good control blocking balls anywhere I want it to go. My backhand counter loop off the bounce has also really improved as well :p I think the blade is suited for close to table counter attacking however I'm also able to produce fast loop to loop rallies away from the table

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Donis True Carbon.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yes i agree there can only be one TBS but thats an expensive piece of equipment. Almost The same features are present in Yasaka Extra special blade and its at one third the cost at tabletennis11.com . Do try it and you will not regret it

Given the time stamp and the fact that the guy who started the thread stated he decided to go with a blade and is satisfied, I am always wondering how people wake up threads like this that are 3 and a half years old. I mean, most of the people who posted on this thread 3 years ago aren't even active on the forum anymore.