Sharing my experience in China

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
Hi Guys! I'm currently out in China at a training center in the Hebei province, myself and with help from Dan back in the uk will try to bring you some information, photo's, videos etc. on what goes on and things that happen here :) Keep an eye out on this thread, if anyone has questions about things here ask away.

While I was in Beijing I met up with and went out to a restaurant and bar with a few of the local players and Fan Zhengdong came along with us and we had a great evening was fun to meet one of the top chinese players in their normal environment outside of table tennis! He was very friendly, didn't speak much english but I sat with him and was always offering me food and encouraging me to join in with all the guys!

533964_10151631489104332_2017966660_n.jpg

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Awesome Tom, keep us posted! I want to know more about you meeting up with Fan Zhendong :)

How much are you training each day? Have the coaches taught you any secrets?

Enjoy bro!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
That is just pure awesomeness. I'd do it myself if I were a lot younger. Definitely will check out this thread.

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
In Hebei province ? Humm... I guess you are in Zhengding TT training base ??? :)

Yeah thats Right Tommy, I'm at Zhengding near Shijiazhuang :) And Revulucao, the training is quite different here to Europe of course. The players warm up, and when the exercises start each player does an exercise for 15 minutes and then change over. The training is very focused on forehand and then later on serve and free. Multi ball is everyday and usually in the afternoon...

Reactions: revulucao
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Thanks for the awesome gesture Tom :)

How much does it cost to train in China ? and how is the living expenses?

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
Thanks for the awesome gesture Tom :)

How much does it cost to train in China ? and how is the living expenses?

No problem, normally if yo go to a center in China, you will pay a fee per day which includes accommodation (hotel) food and training, thats what I have here and the cost is 60us dollars a day which is good! Of course other place may be slightly different :)

Reactions: revulucao

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
More details right.........uhh well the training starts in the morning everyday at 8.30am all the players arrive at the hall and do a warm up around the tables all together. There are about 60 tables here, the coach then chooses all the practice partners and they warm up together for 15 minutes. Then each player takes turns to do 15 minutes exercises. Normally always starting with regular footwork using the forhand, quite basic stuff like 2 point forehand for example.

After each player has done 2 exercises (1 and a half hours into the session) there is a break for 10-15 minutes then we resume again for the last hour and begin to include serve and receive exercises, normally just serve and free points. There are always around 20 tables doing multi ball in the morning session too. Usually in the afternoon I do multi ball with the chinese players for the whole 2 and a half hours, they work a lot on flick and open ups in the multi ball and of course its very intense ;)

The players go to the gym around 3 or 4 times a week too.

While I was in Beijing I met up with and went out to a restaurant and bar with a few of the local players and Fan Zhengdong came along with us and we had a great evening was fun to meet one of the top chinese players in their normal environment outside of table tennis! He was very friendly, didn't speak much english but I sat with him and was always offering me food and encouraging me to join in with all the guys! :)

says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
Feb 2013
More details right.........uhh well the training starts in the morning everyday at 8.30am all the players arrive at the hall and do a warm up around the tables all together. There are about 60 tables here, the coach then chooses all the practice partners and they warm up together for 15 minutes. Then each player takes turns to do 15 minutes exercises. Normally always starting with regular footwork using the forhand, quite basic stuff like 2 point forehand for example.

After each player has done 2 exercises (1 and a half hours into the session) there is a break for 10-15 minutes then we resume again for the last hour and begin to include serve and receive exercises, normally just serve and free points. There are always around 20 tables doing multi ball in the morning session too. Usually in the afternoon I do multi ball with the chinese players for the whole 2 and a half hours, they work a lot on flick and open ups in the multi ball and of course its very intense ;)

The players go to the gym around 3 or 4 times a week too.

While I was in Beijing I met up with and went out to a restaurant and bar with a few of the local players and Fan Zhengdong came along with us and we had a great evening was fun to meet one of the top chinese players in their normal environment outside of table tennis! He was very friendly, didn't speak much english but I sat with him and was always offering me food and encouraging me to join in with all the guys! :)

This sounds so interesting, you are so lucky man! Will you be posting any videos or pictures soon?

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Awesome @Tom! The photo of you and Fan is class! Quite rare to see such a photo like this! Hope your enjoying your time.

Question: hows the food? Coping with it? :) Are all the meals from the club? All players eat together?

Do any of the players there go to school or are they all full time TT players?

This user has no status.
wow great experience. I think about doing a trip like this. what level of playing is required (I have 10 years experience play at a decent level, but far from national level). How much will 2weeks of training cost?

looking forward to more stories from your great experience.

Send from my Samsung galaxy S using tapatalk 2

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
yeah more info there lad. its a bit of a tease when you only wrote a few paragraphs if even about your experience :p

Well since 10 years i've been to China many times, that is true thay are very friendly and always want to share food. Even in the villages people are very nice and always want to share dish. I understand you tried hotpot with them many times :).

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
Awesome @Tom! The photo of you and Fan is class! Quite rare to see such a photo like this! Hope your enjoying your time.

Question: hows the food? Coping with it? :) Are all the meals from the club? All players eat together?

Do any of the players there go to school or are they all full time TT players?

The food is good, but not everybody thinks so, there are some guys from canada who don't like it. I think it would be fine for most people and there are evwen some europen/american style foods here! All the meals are in the training center yeah, there are 2 or 3 dinning places, one for all the foreign players staying to train, one for the local players and one for the younger children.

I think almost all the guys here just play table tennis but there are some classrooms in the center where some of the children have lessons sometimes.

Reactions: Dan