Back to Forum
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 77 309
    S
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 309 77

Anger

When you often mess up in table and get mad what are some ways you guys get out your anger? When i mess up i tend to hit harder making the ball go out more often. So i am looking for way to try to get rid of my anger to help focus on my game more.

The Following User Likes Shiro's Post:

Vonaneomielam

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 21 163
    H
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 163 21
    take a deep breath and realize that you need to play the current point and not think about the past point.

This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 333 1,253
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 1,253 333
    Think about a relaxing thing and take a deep breath.
    Zhang Jike : Man Of Steel
    Never give up without a fight
    Nothing is more risky than playing table tennis without risk

This user has no status.

TTD Member 11 88
    E
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 88 11
    I admire the top players that never scream or lose their cool in about 80% of matches such as Timo Boll.
    I mean seriously, you won't find a world class player that has been 100% calm when winning/losing a point (especially Chinese players!)
    When players at my level play each other, the biggest game-changer is mental strength.
    If you serve a fault, or if you miss an easy drive, the first reaction would probably slam the paddle on your right leg as most juniors do nowadays.
    However, the real top players in Australia just walk to their left corner of their half and press down their hand and exhaust some of their anger onto the table.

TBH, throwing your equipment around or making a tantrum when you lose a point isn't really doing anyone a favour, and the same applies when you win a point either, though it is quite adrenaline-rushing when you scream out a "COME ON!" when that drive makes the edge of the table.

Just my opinion.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 6 28
    D
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 28 6

User Info Menu

Jul 2013
    Indonesia
    Read 0 Reviews
    TT is a hobby for me, how about you. As a hobby, it is making a fun whether I lost or win. Maybe umpire will show a warning card if an expressive too excessive.

The Following User Likes depay's Post:

UpSideDownCarl

says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member 11,037 10,823

Master TTD Member 10,823 11,037

User Info Menu

Different ways work for some and not others. A lot of it comes from wanting to win too much and not succeeding on that point. Obvious remedy is to lower your expectations, but that doesn't work at all for those who really want to win. That is why a lot of top amatures play... to win and get better.

Players with a lot of experience have many things to fall back upon to regain their fighting focus. If you are the type to get upset at own poor play in a match, you won't cure yourself right away simply by telling yourself your play is unacceptable.

The better players find some more positive way to go through this saying to themselves such and such is possible or they WILL win such and such or make great shots and decisions on such and such or that they got it. They have been through it a lot and that is why more experienced players at the higher levels cope better.

The Following User Likes Der_Echte's Post:

Mayank Thakur

President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

This user has no status.

TTD Member 1 20
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 20 1

User Info Menu

well i too was a victim of anger but a right councelling is helping me now ,,
    You should realise that the match you are playing whether its a practice match or a competition is not going to be the last match of your life, if you win ,thats good keep your excitement in you and unfortunately you lose ,the best way to tackle the disappointment is to adhere what i said before, and start looking for future events yet waiting for you to get conquuered,,
    best of luck,,

This user has no status.

TTD Member 10 47
    C
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 47 10

User Info Menu

Sports psychologist once advised me to use an elastic band on my wrist and to pull it anytime I got really angry. I found a slight bit of harmless pain really helped me to control my anger and relax after I'd done it. It's a better then hitting your bat on your leg which hurts more and not to mention is a great way to break your blade. Give it a go

The Following User Likes CJ's Post:

Dan

says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 15,929 14,356
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 14,356 15,929
    It is interesting. I have seen a few different results caused by anger. I know this guy who is a pro, who gets himself fired up and angry on purpose in matches because he knows when he is angry and amped up, he focuses better and plays better. It helps him get super focused and use the anger. Now I think this guy is a little rare. Most people won't play better when they are angry.

I know another guy who is close to the same level and when he starts getting angry, he will blow a bunch of points in succession and get more and more angry as he loses his composure and stops being able to focus on the match. For him, anger is not such a good thing.

Now, I have to admit, I don't fully understand it and I don't know that I have much that would be useful. Anger really does not come up for me as an issue. If I mess up, I might react, directly after for a moment. Not too often, but I might. But, then, once the next point is going to start, it is gone and I am focusing on the next point. There is no room for holding onto anger or anything from the last point when I am focusing on the next point.
    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

User Info Menu

It is about perspective.YOU and others get it.

For some... maybe many, failure, where there is a very high expectation of sucess... immediate sucess... failure is utterly unacceptable and becomes a personal matter. For these... rage is the natural way. It is also cultural as well in both stern raised folk and in old school hardcore military types.

It is also a paradox with the hardcore military types as they are normally very patient and understand some ammount of failure happens along the path to victory. Yet certain situations flip their switch to beserk overdrive rage when something totally unacceptable happens.

Sent from my SHV-E160K using Tapatalk 2

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 28 628
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 628 28
    You should never play Table Tennis with anger, Table Tennis should be played happily and passionately.
    I used to play with power coming from anger, never did any good for me.

User Info Menu

Carl... it's Ur training... Ur YOGA training haha.

The Following User Likes Der_Echte's Post:

Dan