Anger

This user has no status.
I admire the top players that never scream or lose their cool in about 80% of matches such as Timo Boll.
I mean seriously, you won't find a world class player that has been 100% calm when winning/losing a point (especially Chinese players!)
When players at my level play each other, the biggest game-changer is mental strength.
If you serve a fault, or if you miss an easy drive, the first reaction would probably slam the paddle on your right leg as most juniors do nowadays.
However, the real top players in Australia just walk to their left corner of their half and press down their hand and exhaust some of their anger onto the table.

TBH, throwing your equipment around or making a tantrum when you lose a point isn't really doing anyone a favour, and the same applies when you win a point either, though it is quite adrenaline-rushing when you scream out a "COME ON!" when that drive makes the edge of the table.

Just my opinion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
TT is a hobby for me, how about you. As a hobby, it is making a fun whether I lost or win. Maybe umpire will show a warning card if an expressive too excessive.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Different ways work for some and not others. A lot of it comes from wanting to win too much and not succeeding on that point. Obvious remedy is to lower your expectations, but that doesn't work at all for those who really want to win. That is why a lot of top amatures play... to win and get better.

Players with a lot of experience have many things to fall back upon to regain their fighting focus. If you are the type to get upset at own poor play in a match, you won't cure yourself right away simply by telling yourself your play is unacceptable.

The better players find some more positive way to go through this saying to themselves such and such is possible or they WILL win such and such or make great shots and decisions on such and such or that they got it. They have been through it a lot and that is why more experienced players at the higher levels cope better.

Reactions: Mayank Thakur
says Spread the love for table tennis,,the best game in the world
says Spread the love for table tennis,,the best game in the world
Aug 2012
well i too was a victim of anger but a right councelling is helping me now ,,
You should realise that the match you are playing whether its a practice match or a competition is not going to be the last match of your life, if you win ,thats good keep your excitement in you and unfortunately you lose ,the best way to tackle the disappointment is to adhere what i said before, and start looking for future events yet waiting for you to get conquuered,,
best of luck,,

CJ

This user has no status.

CJ

This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 2 reviews
Sports psychologist once advised me to use an elastic band on my wrist and to pull it anytime I got really angry. I found a slight bit of harmless pain really helped me to control my anger and relax after I'd done it. It's a better then hitting your bat on your leg which hurts more and not to mention is a great way to break your blade. Give it a go :)

Reactions: Dan
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is interesting. I have seen a few different results caused by anger. I know this guy who is a pro, who gets himself fired up and angry on purpose in matches because he knows when he is angry and amped up, he focuses better and plays better. It helps him get super focused and use the anger. Now I think this guy is a little rare. Most people won't play better when they are angry.

I know another guy who is close to the same level and when he starts getting angry, he will blow a bunch of points in succession and get more and more angry as he loses his composure and stops being able to focus on the match. For him, anger is not such a good thing.

Now, I have to admit, I don't fully understand it and I don't know that I have much that would be useful. Anger really does not come up for me as an issue. If I mess up, I might react, directly after for a moment. Not too often, but I might. But, then, once the next point is going to start, it is gone and I am focusing on the next point. There is no room for holding onto anger or anything from the last point when I am focusing on the next point.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It is about perspective.YOU and others get it.

For some... maybe many, failure, where there is a very high expectation of sucess... immediate sucess... failure is utterly unacceptable and becomes a personal matter. For these... rage is the natural way. It is also cultural as well in both stern raised folk and in old school hardcore military types.

It is also a paradox with the hardcore military types as they are normally very patient and understand some ammount of failure happens along the path to victory. Yet certain situations flip their switch to beserk overdrive rage when something totally unacceptable happens.

Sent from my SHV-E160K using Tapatalk 2