Do you have private coach?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
In Hong Kong, private table tennis coach is very common. Many youngsters have private coarch or trainer.
Is it popular in your country?

This user has no status.
Here in Western Australia, every junior member of the state squad has a private coach. Some private coaches teach more than one student of course.
It is very common to train in partners or threes with the same coach, to save a bit of money.
If you're just starting out and getting used to the techniques, private coaching is a go (y)
If match play is your focus, just spend a few hours at the club.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
IN the land of high level trainers galore in Korea, the club players mostly go for club membership with lessons. That doesn't really mean they are getting private coaching. it is more like a coach led 20 or 30 minute "Let's Smoke the Living Crap Outta this Club Member" kinda session. The coaching here really isn't much coaching, even if coach stops no and then and says something technical. The training sessions are more like a training session, a hardcore training session that will get you fit to want to take on the MMA pros in the octagon...

Having said that, over 1/2 the coaches were former pro players or elite amature athletes. This class is all over 2500 USATT easy. In USA, coaches are expected to follow you to tourneys and give you advice before and between games. In Korea, the entire club goes to a tourney and you do not get that.

This user has no status.
IN the land of high level trainers galore in Korea, the club players mostly go for club membership with lessons. That doesn't really mean they are getting private coaching. it is more like a coach led 20 or 30 minute "Let's Smoke the Living Crap Outta this Club Member" kinda session. The coaching here really isn't much coaching, even if coach stops no and then and says something technical. The training sessions are more like a training session, a hardcore training session that will get you fit to want to take on the MMA pros in the octagon...

Having said that, over 1/2 the coaches were former pro players or elite amature athletes. This class is all over 2500 USATT easy. In USA, coaches are expected to follow you to tourneys and give you advice before and between games. In Korea, the entire club goes to a tourney and you do not get that.

Can definitely second that in Australian clubs and tourneys :)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Eric, there are simply WAY too many matches going on for the coach to be with anyone. The coaches try to go to a match when one of the club players are in a match, but you have to understand the venue is 2 or 3 long rows of 12 tables with no barriers and hundreds of other club players cheering their players. The tables ALWAYS have matches, so coach cannot be in 5 places at once, so they will maybe be at your match for one game.

Another thing that is interesting... In USATT rules and also ITTF rules... there is ZERO coaching allowed between points, ZERO. That will get you kicked out of the venue. In Korean amature TT, coach (or other players) will tell you advice between points, and sometimes during the point! That is a little strange to see and become accustomed to, but after a while, it makes sense. None of the amatures, no matter if they would be top 5 in USA will ever make it to even a semi-pro league. Everyone is essentially playing for fun, in their special way. Shouting instructions for the player adds to the noise, cheering and fun factor.

Korean amature tourneys are such a BLAST, so much action and and when you are not in a match, if you support your club players by cheering vs the other supporters, it becomes a match all by itself. whenever I am eliminated and therefore very pissed off, my mission becomes team supporter. If I show up on the scene of a tight match with one of our club players in a match where the enemy has 12 LOUD women supporters and I by myself show up, the other team just suddenly lost the battle of loud support. I have special cheers unique to me that the entire city has already copied and will use years after I leave, but NO ONE will cheer as loud. That is one of the fun aspects. Being loud is being Korean in these circumstances. In the Webster's dictionary, the definition of loud should include a picture of a dozen Over 40 women grouped together cheering for something.