Which European Player has the Best Mentality?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
I think that Maze has great mental strength - sometimes. I've seen him give up during matches many times in his career - not least against Boll.

But his has been able to "peak" really well at some major tournaments - most famously the 2005 WTTCs, the 2009 Euros and the 2012 Olympics. But at many other tournaments (like Pro/World Tours and club/league competitions), his motivation doesn't always seem to be that high.
Yes that's true! This is where Kreanga and Ovtcharov's mentality is better than Maze's.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Maze is mentally strong for sure, because getting back from injuries is not for the weak hearted. Appreciate him for that and the amazing comeback against Chen Qi.

However, when people say Samsonov is not mentally strong because he loses in the decider, that's just plain wrong. Cut him some slack. He has been in Top-10 for 15 years.

For me, not showing emotions means the player is unemotional, which leaves him in a better position to assess what went wrong, and what to do and what not to do. Just because somebody's quiet doesn't mean he is great. But 24 pro-tour titles? Gotta be kidding. Now, I don't want to change this is in to a statistical debate. Let me put it differently.

Being unemotional and having the ability to detach oneself from the heat of the moment is what separates the good from the great. You would rarely see Wang Liqin/Ma Long kicking the match table. This is common to all sport except for maybe boxing/rugby. Concentration is the key to table tennis and being emotional does not allow you to focus too well. It is better to feel angry, keep quiet on the exterior and channel the anger to focus harder. Sorta like taking the anger out on yourself than objects and/or people around you. At least that way, your opponent keeps guessing what's in your head.

Well I think being high ranked doesn't necessarily mean having good mentality. You won't see Samsonov or Ma Long kicking the table indeed, but that doesn't say anything about wether they are mentally strong or weak. I think Ma Long has been an example for the past few years of how a weak head can kill you, even though you have the best technique. For me, mental strength is judged by how you perform at the most thrilling and important moments in a match. Peaking at the right time is also a good example of mental strength. You can see this clearly with Zhang Jike, and as some have mentioned, Maze has that as well, though not as stable. That is why I think in Europe Dima is a good example. In my opinion Samsonov really has lost too often in tight games at big tournaments to be considered mentally strong.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Yeah of course Maze has great mental strength sometimes. I think that you cant have exceptional mental strength all the time. More can maintain good mental strength for longer than than other.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Maze does have great mental strength sometimes. Maze does get angry and show this which effects his mentality more often than others. I believe that you can't have great mental strength all the time however some can maintain their mentality more than others.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
It's a matter of interpretation, what is the best mentality? Samsonov has strong composure, as does Timo Boll, they don't often get grumpy or negative in their matches. Schlager is very analytical and tactically focused. Kreanga and Tokic have very good 'attacking' mentalities. Primorac is very patient.

These are all elements of mentality and the thought process and character approach to the game, each player displays elements of good mentality in different areas so picking one player who has the 'best' mentality is quite hard.