Shiono vs. Joo Sae Hyuk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Hopefully we get to see Shiono playing the top Chinese in the upcoming ProTour Finals. His best chance would have been the Japan Open where he came out from 'nowhere' to surprise everyone including his Japanese compatriots. Yes the top Chinese have powerful strokes, but I don't think hitting harder or spinnier is the right way to play Shiono, as can be seen his wins and loses since then. It seems more a matter of control, placement and patience. That said, single minded hard loopers may be more susceptible.

Unfortunately for Shiono, he is now out in the open. He has also changed equipment. Judging by the way his opponents missed in Japan Open, his old set up was way more deceptive.

His backhand rubber is still the same (TSP Curl P4). I'm not sure whether his new FH rubber (Bluefire JP01) or his new blade (Donic Defplay) affect his performance. A the German Open he already made the change and if you look at the following match between Shiono and Ovtcharov you can hardly say Shiono's performance is worse.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
In Japan Open, it seemed as soon as someone tried to power loop against Shiono, mostly they didn't just miss, they missed badly. It was strange. That is why I thought Shiono's setup was particularly deceptive at Japan Open.

Recently, I can see that his opponents can at least put their power shots on the table. DO probably didn't play the right game. He still seemed to be of the mind set that he was going to overpower Shiono.