how many times is it safe to reglue/chamge runber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
So I'm buying 2 blades (both used for a few weeks) and 3 rubbers (new tenergy 80 and a used butterfly Bryce speed fx (probably am going to sell as it will be too fast for me if anyone's interested private message me) and a used sonic x1 turbo platin)

The seller has glued the tenergy 80 and x1 platinum to one of the blades ( the faster one) although I want to start with the slower blade .

SO TO THE POINT :
Will it be fine for a tenergy 80 to be glued, ripped off, glued to a different blade, ripped of and then glued to the first blade or will this affect the performance or risk destroying it.

I don't know what glue he has used but if necessary can tell you when I find out and I don't have any glue so I would need to buy glue(open to suggestions).

Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
It should be fine with water based glue, butterfly's is fine. Anyway tenergy has a very porous sponge which can easily be ripped so when transferring blades remember to peel from the bottom corner diagonally upwards. After pulling it off you may have to remove the old glue from the sponge by rubbing carefully with your thumb. I did this and my thumb is killing me now. Remember to be artful otherwise may rip mini holes in the sponge.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It really depends on some things like how strong the glue bond was done, how careful one takes off the rubber, how old the sponge was, whether the blade was sealed or not, whether the blade has really fragile soft outer veneer, how patient you were...

You kinda get the idea. If one does a good job gluing and taking off the rubber, you can reglue it several times no prob if you are careful.

Remember though... Murphey's law... if shyt can go wrong, it will. You have skill and luck as numbers one and two in this operation for a successful transfer.

Tell us how it went or didn't...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
From my experience of regluing Tenergy or Donic rubbers, the spin factor and the bounciness will be reduced.
I think this has to do with the fact that some of these glue has seep into the sponge due to the large pores. You may be able to get rid of the old glue residue on the sponge but not those inside. Personally, I feel that I have to hit through the rubber alot more to make the shot work. And even then the spin is not as much as before.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Affect the performance or risk destroying it - Yes the chances is always there

As stated above, anything can happen, it all depends on your luck and skills of regluing.

Things to look out for:
- don't damage the sponge
- size may not fit perfectly.
- bad glue job
- don't stretch the rubber
- the moment there is a problem - don't try and fix it, ask for help

says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
It shouldn't affect the performance if the rubber has been removed (there is no damage) from the previous blades carefully. However, one thing that often happens to me is that the rubber "shrinks" just a bit after you remove it from the blade. When you glue the removed rubber to another blade just make sure you get the rubber to cover up to the edges.. If you glue it well it doesn't affect the performance

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
It all really depend on what do we mean by the performance. If you are sensitive to spin and touch shot, you will notice the performance difference.
For most rubbers or for those who boost, there will be extremely little or no diff.
Yes, you can remove the old glue carefully but how do you remove those that already seeps into the sponge due to the large pores.
I have tried this many times and every time I can feel the difference. The difference is very minute but enough to cost a game or two with players at the same level. You will note that it will be easier for your opponent to return your loop at a lower height plus your drive's second jump on opponent's side does not really skip, due to the reduction of spin.
My advise is if you really want peak performance from these rubbers, don't reglue.
Boosting helps melt the ole glue residue, maybe that's why it will have not much effect.
I don't boost.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It really should not change much with Water Based Glue. If you are using boost or the old glue, or some form of rubber cement, your rubber will feel boosted for a while and then that will go away at some point. Rubber cement will give you a boosted feel for a few days. Boost should last about a month. But I just like to glue the rubbers on and not touch them till I need new ones. Or until something forces me to take them off. Like, if I slam my racket into the edge of the table I will take the rubber off and fix the edge of my racket before gluing the rubber back on.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
It will not change much if the rubbers you use are not large pores. That's the main difference.
The change is in the spin. This has happened to me several times when I was trying to test new paddles.
I believe Donic now comes out a new glue specifically for this reason.
I'm particularly sensitive to all these because I'm a one sided penholder, I need to drop short, loop, drive, flat block and punch block on only one side, one rubber.
So any changes I can tell it right away :)
If you are using Xiom, you don't have this issue. I only have this issue with Tenergy and Donic Bluefire.

Carl...you know who I am...shhhhh

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
I notice when I'm at a tournament with really good players, they re-glue with water based glue. Of course, they go through rubber much faster than normal players. I still don't think there's any problem though as many times as you do it with water glue as it has no chemical effect on the rubber.