• Welcome Guest

1. Top | #1
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: Great Britain

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

how many times is it safe to reglue/chamge runber

So I'm buying 2 blades (both used for a few weeks) and 3 rubbers (new tenergy 80 and a used butterfly Bryce speed fx (probably am going to sell as it will be too fast for me if anyone's interested private message me) and a used sonic x1 turbo platin)

The seller has glued the tenergy 80 and x1 platinum to one of the blades ( the faster one) although I want to start with the slower blade .

SO TO THE POINT :
      Will it be fine for a tenergy 80 to be glued, ripped off, glued to a different blade, ripped of and then glued to the first blade or will this affect the performance or risk destroying it.

I don't know what glue he has used but if necessary can tell you when I find out and I don't have any glue so I would need to buy glue(open to suggestions).

Thanks

2. Top | #2
      This user has no status.

Established TTD Member Country: England
      Equipment:
      Blade Innerforce zlf
      Forehand Rubber Tenergy 05
      Backhand Rubber Tenergy 80

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
      It should be fine with water based glue, butterfly's is fine. Anyway tenergy has a very porous sponge which can easily be ripped so when transferring blades remember to peel from the bottom corner diagonally upwards. After pulling it off you may have to remove the old glue from the sponge by rubbing carefully with your thumb. I did this and my thumb is killing me now. Remember to be artful otherwise may rip mini holes in the sponge.
      SPIN it To WIN​ it

The will to win is important, but the will to prepare is vital
      -Joe Paterno

3. Top | #3
      says Grand Consultant to the Office
      of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member Country: South Korea
      Equipment:
      Blade Tibhar/Nexy Kim Jung Hoon
      Forehand Rubber Nexy Karis M+ MAX in RED
      Backhand Rubber Nexy Karis M+ in BLACK or H3 or XP2008

Reviews
      Read 27 Reviews
      Liked 8,835 Times in 4,575 Posts
      It really depends on some things like how strong the glue bond was done, how careful one takes off the rubber, how old the sponge was, whether the blade was sealed or not, whether the blade has really fragile soft outer veneer, how patient you were...

You kinda get the idea. If one does a good job gluing and taking off the rubber, you can reglue it several times no prob if you are careful.

Remember though... Murphey's law... if shyt can go wrong, it will. You have skill and luck as numbers one and two in this operation for a successful transfer.

Tell us how it went or didn't...
      President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
      http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
      http://www.nexyusa.com

View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
      http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

4. Top | #4
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: United States

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
      From my experience of regluing Tenergy or Donic rubbers, the spin factor and the bounciness will be reduced.
      I think this has to do with the fact that some of these glue has seep into the sponge due to the large pores. You may be able to get rid of the old glue residue on the sponge but not those inside. Personally, I feel that I have to hit through the rubber alot more to make the shot work. And even then the spin is not as much as before.

5. Top | #5
      This user has no status.

Verified Pro Coach
      Master TTD Member Country: South Africa
      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Intensity NCT (Cpen)
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 Neo National Blue Sponge
      Backhand Rubber Stiga Mantra M

Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 2,253 Times in 1,211 Posts
      Affect the performance or risk destroying it - Yes the chances is always there

As stated above, anything can happen, it all depends on your luck and skills of regluing.

Things to look out for:
      - don't damage the sponge
      - size may not fit perfectly.
      - bad glue job
      - don't stretch the rubber
      - the moment there is a problem - don't try and fix it, ask for help

6. Top | #6
      This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member Country: Finland
      Equipment:
      Blade Timo Boll Forte
      Forehand Rubber Tenergy 05
      Backhand Rubber Tenergy 05

Reviews
      Read 7 Reviews
      Liked 366 Times in 174 Posts
      It shouldn't affect the performance if the rubber has been removed (there is no damage) from the previous blades carefully. However, one thing that often happens to me is that the rubber "shrinks" just a bit after you remove it from the blade. When you glue the removed rubber to another blade just make sure you get the rubber to cover up to the edges.. If you glue it well it doesn't affect the performance

7. Top | #7
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
      It all really depend on what do we mean by the performance. If you are sensitive to spin and touch shot, you will notice the performance difference.
      For most rubbers or for those who boost, there will be extremely little or no diff.
      Yes, you can remove the old glue carefully but how do you remove those that already seeps into the sponge due to the large pores.
      I have tried this many times and every time I can feel the difference. The difference is very minute but enough to cost a game or two with players at the same level. You will note that it will be easier for your opponent to return your loop at a lower height plus your drive's second jump on opponent's side does not really skip, due to the reduction of spin.
      My advise is if you really want peak performance from these rubbers, don't reglue.
      Boosting helps melt the ole glue residue, maybe that's why it will have not much effect.
      I don't boost.

8. Top | #8
      says Krooklyn District Goon Squad
      Commissioner

Equipment Expert
      Super Moderator Country: United States
      Equipment:
      Blade OSP Virtuoso +
      Forehand Rubber BH:Red F-XP
      Backhand Rubber FH:Black M-XP

Reviews
      Read 11 Reviews
      Liked 13,474 Times in 6,411 Posts
      It really should not change much with Water Based Glue. If you are using boost or the old glue, or some form of rubber cement, your rubber will feel boosted for a while and then that will go away at some point. Rubber cement will give you a boosted feel for a few days. Boost should last about a month. But I just like to glue the rubbers on and not touch them till I need new ones. Or until something forces me to take them off. Like, if I slam my racket into the edge of the table I will take the rubber off and fix the edge of my racket before gluing the rubber back on.
      Spin Everything.

9. Top | #9
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
      It will not change much if the rubbers you use are not large pores. That's the main difference.
      The change is in the spin. This has happened to me several times when I was trying to test new paddles.
      I believe Donic now comes out a new glue specifically for this reason.
      I'm particularly sensitive to all these because I'm a one sided penholder, I need to drop short, loop, drive, flat block and punch block on only one side, one rubber.
      So any changes I can tell it right away :-)
      If you are using Xiom, you don't have this issue. I only have this issue with Tenergy and Donic Bluefire.

Carl...you know who I am...shhhhh
      Last edited by JCL1973; 10-04-2013 at 08:14 PM.

10. Top | #10
      This user has no status.

Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Offensive S ST
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Vega Japan
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Vega Japan

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
      I notice when I'm at a tournament with really good players, they re-glue with water based glue. Of course, they go through rubber much faster than normal players. I still don't think there's any problem though as many times as you do it with water glue as it has no chemical effect on the rubber.