Blocking heavy spins targeted near centre line and middle of table

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Bat higher than elbow, close bat angle. Where the ball is coming shouldn't matter, you just need to make sure you move quickly. When blocking it is vital to have a stable base and centre of gravity so you aren't needing to control any part of your body, you can solely focus on controlling the ball.

If you are going to move across to block backhand you need to think about placement which will prevent the opposition from exploiting the gap in your wide backhand also :) hope that helps.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Seeing where the ball is going is a skill, as well as getting there in time. You step in over the ball, blocking becomes much easier in every case when you are in position.

Tricky part is this ball is coming to your crossover spot. You can play either wing to block. For me, it is easier to bock this ball with a BH if I somehow did not move. Using a BH block in this case is easier and more instinctive. Sometimes I move enough to be in position, sometimes not. You may not be in perfect position each time. Opponent is trying to get you like this often.

When you cannot be in perfect position, at least try to get the bat close to the ball, even if it is a little reach, it will be a more troublesome block than if you blocked it a meter off the table in a more optimal stance. You cannot fight to regain control of the point if you didn't keep the ball on the table the shot (block) prior...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Ever Seen Jun's backhand roll technique ? or Ma Lin's Side roll or downward push block technique.. Not sure of the names but these techniques are very advanced ones and they kill the spin, returning the ball flat. Try those.. If you want it to be attacking.. then Ma Long's forward flick is the best.. its fast and quick but demands quick leg movements..