Rubber Tuning

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Law 2.04.07 - The covering material should be used as it has been authorised by the ITTF without any physical, chemical or other treatment, changing or modifying playing properties, friction, outlook, colour, structure, surface, etc.

That is the rule. It explicitly states that the topsheet and the sponge can not be treated in any way in order to change the playing characteristics. It is pretty clear.

Does it make sense to follow the rule? That is a different question, but the question itself has a very clear answer. The rule specifically states that the sponge and rubber should be used as they come out of the packaging from the manufacturer. That doing anything with the intention of changing the playing characteristics, after the rubber has left the manufacturer, is against the rules.

It does seem to be about $$ rather than about anything actually worth paying attention to, but, it is a rule and it is specifically stated.

It's been updated once more to 2.04.07 - The racket covering shall be used without any physical, chemical or other treatment.

But in regards to the above rule the ITTF only authorizes the topsheet. They have no regulations in manufacturing for the sponge hence why JOOLA for instance only pays for a single type of rubber like Rhyzm or Maxxx but has 3 different sponge variations. It's because they hadn't regulated the sponge that one could argue that the topsheet has not been altered. If a player decided to take Chinese sponge and add a euro topsheet to it there is nothing in regulation that prevents them from doing so. If that player happened to boost the sponge prior to gluing the topsheet on that would also be considered legal arguable of course.

However with this new regulation it's pretty clear that any and all types of boosting are now illegal. It's about time. Now if they only enforced these rules with proper testing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Read 4 reviews
My rubber looks like this now.ehen can i glue it to the blade? uploadfromtaptalk1390260419413.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MDanielCRO
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
My rubber looks like this now.ehen can i glue it to the blade? View attachment 5437

wait 2 days for the curve to drop down, otherwise this rubber will be very difficult to stick onto the blade. For most boosters (I mean the strong ones like dian chi or haifu seamoon) applied on hard chinese rubbers the waiting time is to 5-7 days maximum.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Read 4 reviews
wait 2 days for the curve to drop down, otherwise this rubber will be very difficult to stick onto the blade. For most boosters (I mean the strong ones like dian chi or haifu seamoon) applied on hard chinese rubbers the waiting time is to 5-7 days maximum.

Ok thank you very much.

This user has no status.
no, I don't think you have to wait 2 or 5 days.
You only need to wait until you feel it's "dry"... one night should be enough
what is also important is to let the glue you're going to put on the blade to dry too.

Yesterday, I glued a H3neo about 8 hours after the last booster layer... and today I'm going to play with it
I've never noticed differences waiting 10 hours or 2 days after the last booster layer

Last edited: