Rubber Tuning

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I love these discussions.

Of course tuning the rubbers is illegal. Even ITTF President comes on forums and explicitly says so. Doesn't anyone believe him of listen to what he sez? It is modifying the rubber which is the combo of sponge/topsheet and adding additives. By rules, it is clearly illegal.

How do the rules get enforced? ITTF has racket control with their ENEZ set real low. If the bat passes the 4 mm test, the consistnacy test, and passes the ENEZ, the bat is legal, no matter how much tuning the player did or did not do. A lot of modern tuners will have no VOCs by the time you test.

You ask yourself a question then. It is completely legal to use ITTF approved water glue (and hihgly emphisized to use water glue), open a new rubber right out of package, like Tenergy 05, let's say, and even have ITTF tourney officials glue it on with ITTF approved water bond. The rubber right out of the package is still emitting VOCs as it takes VOCs to produce and adhere a topsheet to the sponge. You have ITTF in a completely clean and supervised manner make your bat and it will VERY likely FAIL the ENEZ test. In this case, your bat is a fail, deemed illegal and you could be considered a cheet. What a mess! What else can a player do to ensure he is legal? What if he cannot have access to a new rubber that is already aired out? He is S.O.L. (An American saying for Shyt Outta Luck)

Also, it is completely legal for TT manufacturers to tune the daylights outta the rubber at the "Factory" and seal it, then send it off for wholesale & retail distro. As long as you "Air out" the rubber for a few days to let the VOCs dissapate, then you are good to go if you did not have any VOCs left over from your glue job.

Is is ILLEGAL to tune your rubber after it is produced, ITTF president states this emphatically. You ask yourself, what is the real difference in the rubber if the factory tunes it and sells it to me, or if I buy a cheaper version of the same rubber and tune it myself for teh same endstate - a tuned rubber with no VOCs emitting from it and it is under 4 mm and flat/consistant. Thsi is also a mess!

Who is the cheater and who is the eater? (of moar profit?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenta Cipriano
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I wouldn't recommend it inerdxi. The best oils are lamp (parrafine) also the same stuff as bio booster, or some of the brand name chinese boosters such as haifu and dian chi.

Here's the thing about the ITTF rules. By the rules tuning the sponge is not illegal because it doesn't change the topsheet in a sense. The VOC meter is allowed calibrated so that you cannot go above .4 VOC's in a 20 second period of time. Your flatness of rubber must also be within a 1mm (approximate) distance when they measure your racket. Also your rubber thickness cannot be above 4 mm.

Here's the problem with boosting. While technically it isn't breaking the rules what the ITTF has failed to do is give specific enough instructions for what violates the rules and what does not. The same goes for their service rule. Technically speaking nothing is said about a straight toss just that it must be an upward toss meaning more vertical than horizontal and thus allows players to toss the ball back and make it more difficult sometimes for unsuspecting players to see the service let alone a umpire. They did away with this rule by giving all power to the umpire and assuming most umpires are competent when in fact most aren't strictly because they are sitting in the worst possible position to make the call. All of the rules are in reference to the opposing players's position and the umpires are completely perpendicular to each player. The obvious solution would be to hire more umpires as in badminton and have "service or line" umpires to help measure call the service better or to change the rule entirely by adding restrictions amendments.

In the case of boosting the ITTF just simply says it's illegal without adjusting the rules or making amendments and that to me is wrong. I don't know why they won't amend the rules, but to be honest if they're going to explicitly say boosting is illegal it should be added into the rules. Add a clause that says neither the topsheet or sponge can be changed after factory tuning or manufacture. Maybe the best possible way to do this is to have the players glue in front of the umpires and thus prevent the use of boosting, but until they make an amendment to the rules you can't say that something is explicitly illegal just because it's your opinion or how you view the rules. The rules are meant to be unbiased so you should take them at their sole definition. And strictly speaking many players all over the world who boost and serve in an umpire unapproved manner never actually break the rules.

Wow this was another book. But back on boosting, I recommend that you simply stick to learning the proper technique before you go and start boosting. When you boost there is extra power and extra spin as well as extra control. All of this is pointless if you yourself don't have the proper technique and feeling to properly adjust to the rubber. In essence you peak faster because your technique suffers.

This user has no status.
so i can use soybean oil for tuning
I dont know if it would be ok but as far as I have read all over the web any kind of oil is ok. I just go for the comercial h3 with 2 layers of kerosene and 1 layer of baby oil and it is perfect for me. I purchased some sheets of h3 and seamon booster from ttnpp to try it but i have not received anything. I purchased it on August 13 it was shipped out but I have not heard anything about it since then. So I cannot give any comparison.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In the case of boosting the ITTF just simply says it's illegal without adjusting the rules or making amendments and that to me is wrong. I don't know why they won't amend the rules, but to be honest if they're going to explicitly say boosting is illegal it should be added into the rules. Add a clause that says neither the topsheet or sponge can be changed after factory tuning or manufacture.

Law 2.04.07 - The covering material should be used as it has been authorised by the ITTF without any physical, chemical or other treatment, changing or modifying playing properties, friction, outlook, colour, structure, surface, etc.

That is the rule. It explicitly states that the topsheet and the sponge can not be treated in any way in order to change the playing characteristics. It is pretty clear.

Does it make sense to follow the rule? That is a different question, but the question itself has a very clear answer. The rule specifically states that the sponge and rubber should be used as they come out of the packaging from the manufacturer. That doing anything with the intention of changing the playing characteristics, after the rubber has left the manufacturer, is against the rules.

It does seem to be about $$ rather than about anything actually worth paying attention to, but, it is a rule and it is specifically stated.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
I only use Baby Oil on Chinese and a used Tenser rubber. When you take a Tenser rubber off of a blade it always curls up and shrinks. The Baby Oil will make it go flat again and grow in size because it expands the sponge. I put a layer on about 24 hours apart because to much will cause it to curl in the opposite way and make it difficult to stay flat on the blade. But if this happens I find if I put the oil on the top sheet it will reverse, just my own experimenting, it works for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
I only use Baby Oil on Chinese and a used Tenser rubber. When you take a Tenser rubber off of a blade it always curls up and shrinks. The Baby Oil will make it go flat again and grow in size because it expands the sponge. I put a layer on about 24 hours apart because to much will cause it to curl in the opposite way and make it difficult to stay flat on the blade. But if this happens I find if I put the oil on the top sheet it will reverse, just my own experimenting, it works for me.
so thats all it does expand ........ i try to use it to give it more catapult but i always fail

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
thanks, my ten 25 is overtuned and it cannot flat again, i'll try this method

says Back on TTD finally 🥳
says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
Jan 2013
just found: falco booster can be used on topsheet also, it makes the topsheet expanding together with the sponge so you won't have to wait for the rubber flatten again!
I've tried the Long Booster on the topsheet, and it left a mess that I could not clean up. THe only one you can use on the topsheet is the Falco Expander, where multiple layers will boost the topsheet.

This user has no status.
I love these discussions.

Of course tuning the rubbers is illegal. Even ITTF President comes on forums and explicitly says so. Doesn't anyone believe him of listen to what he sez? It is modifying the rubber which is the combo of sponge/topsheet and adding additives. By rules, it is clearly illegal.

How do the rules get enforced? ITTF has racket control with their ENEZ set real low. If the bat passes the 4 mm test, the consistnacy test, and passes the ENEZ, the bat is legal, no matter how much tuning the player did or did not do. A lot of modern tuners will have no VOCs by the time you test.

You ask yourself a question then. It is completely legal to use ITTF approved water glue (and hihgly emphisized to use water glue), open a new rubber right out of package, like Tenergy 05, let's say, and even have ITTF tourney officials glue it on with ITTF approved water bond. The rubber right out of the package is still emitting VOCs as it takes VOCs to produce and adhere a topsheet to the sponge. You have ITTF in a completely clean and supervised manner make your bat and it will VERY likely FAIL the ENEZ test. In this case, your bat is a fail, deemed illegal and you could be considered a cheet. What a mess! What else can a player do to ensure he is legal? What if he cannot have access to a new rubber that is already aired out? He is S.O.L. (An American saying for Shyt Outta Luck)

Also, it is completely legal for TT manufacturers to tune the daylights outta the rubber at the "Factory" and seal it, then send it off for wholesale & retail distro. As long as you "Air out" the rubber for a few days to let the VOCs dissapate, then you are good to go if you did not have any VOCs left over from your glue job.

Is is ILLEGAL to tune your rubber after it is produced, ITTF president states this emphatically. You ask yourself, what is the real difference in the rubber if the factory tunes it and sells it to me, or if I buy a cheaper version of the same rubber and tune it myself for teh same endstate - a tuned rubber with no VOCs emitting from it and it is under 4 mm and flat/consistant. Thsi is also a mess!

Who is the cheater and who is the eater? (of moar profit?)

Maybe this is not the place to this post but here it is.

You have all the reason,ITTF has being implementing some sort of strange rules,rules that are a bit capitalist,and most not necessary in my way of view.
I believe that VOC's are bad for health etc,everyone knows it,and nothing against they ban it on our glues,but ban boost(that easily get free of vocs and i see to be no harmful),its kinda no sense.
Game is gettin' slow about this changes,and yes,table tennis never was a slow sport,but is gettin slower.
Most of this new stuff that is commin for Table tennis,is all about marketing and making profit atm.
I remember the times when i wanted to buy a bat, and the choices were limited,there were about 6,7 trade marks available,and the prices were affordable.
No need of booster,just get the right glue or DIY.
That was the time from where the greatest champions came of,surely.
Table-Tennis is gettin a sport for rich people,when i started playing...even the "barefoot" played.
That doesnt mean i dont like table tennis,cuz it has borned in my blood,it means the things are not really going in the better way,imo.

Keep trainin'

Last edited: