Votes: 17 25.8%
  • No, it will spoil the sport - expand on your reason below

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Simple Solution

Yes, video review of points should be done.
Some say it may disrupt the flow of the game but here is a solution to that (borrowed from American collegiate football).

A coach or player may challenge a call at any time but must wage their timeout in doing so. If the umpire's call is overruled the timeout is not consumed and play continues.
If however, the umpire's call stands then the timeout is consumed - leaving the challenging player without a timeout.

Furthermore there must be indisputable evidence showing that the umpire made the wrong call.

This would prevent excessive challenges since you could lose your only timeout and at the same time would prevent situations like this!

This user has no status.
i remember wttc in yokohama 2009, there are 2 built-in camera at the net post. i'm wondering will ittf consider about these kind of camera not only for boardcasting but also for judging.

wttc_moment.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Ya know... it's one thing to say it didn't hit... cause its possible you just didn't see it. But... DAMN... to say it hit the side is just complete bull****. How the HECK could it have hit the side of the table? A physical impossibility... a shot like that coming off of Ai's long pips just wouldn't have that kind of spin to make it even remotely possible.

Outrageous. It's a good thing she won in the end.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
The table tennis gods don't allow things like that to happen and rightly rectified the situation with a 4-3 win for Ai. It was clearly an edge ball.

I've always wondered why a table manufacturer doesn't make a table with some sort of built in sensors that can detect net serves and edge balls, I can't imagine that being too hard to make, and something like that would be great for world class tournaments, ridding any future controversies like this one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Wow, this is why umpires give me a bad taste in my mouth when I see things like this..

Since there was video evidence, then it absolutely should have been Ai's point..

The ump is a stubborn fool who refused to acknowledge his mistake... :(

I do think on the higher levels video replay technology should be utilized in some way so things like this will never happen again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Should have been fukuhara's point, and wen jia should have acknowledged it, but in part is the umpires fault for not using his logic to deduce the ball must have hit the edge. I do feel sorry for wen Jia though, because this was her return to international play, and the pressure to not get dropped from the chinese team is immense. Tbh, if she'd acknowledged this, they would probably dropped her quicker than you can say "I'm sorry"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I tell u, video replay analys would harm the flow of the game less than what happened here. The idea with the time-out is good, although it gets tricky when someone has already used their time-out. I think everyone should be able to make 1 call per match. Or there should be someone watching the replays of edge points on all TV-tables, like a 2nd assistant umpire.