Poll: Should there be video analysis for umpires/referees in Pro Tours

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    says #ForTheLegacy

Administrator 4,265 6,799
    says #ForTheLegacy

Administrator 6,799 4,265

User Info Menu

Ai Fukuhara Controversy

Umpire refuses to change a bad call even after Matthew Syed from the commentary box confirms ball hits the table,then refuses to see re run on TV screen. The ITTF should take note and pay their international umpires a decent salary, also needed is Hawk Eye as in tennis so bad calls can be corrected. Again I state more respect for the players is needed!

Photo by: Sohu.com

What do you think? Should Ai Fukuhara have won the point...

Why dont Pro Tours use Video Technology? and do you think they should use them for this very reason from now on?

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 106 396
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 396 106
    Definately should have been Ai Fukuhara's point. Yes they should have video analysis as tennis have it, but also because table tennis is so fast it can be very hard to see edges at times. I often see edges that nobody else seems to see and vice versa, sometimes it can be so minor that the ball has hardly any deviation sometimes possibly almost none at all.
    Just enjoy it!

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 28
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 28 0
    Absolutely atrocious decision by the umpire. They most certainly should introduce replay on critical points where there is dispute. It costs nothing to spend 10 seconds checking a replay clip to ensure a fair game.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 1 57
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 57 1

User Info Menu

Oct 2010
    Read 0 Reviews
    Hey!! that was Ai point!!! indeed!! an she is so cute! =P
    "Never lose your dreams"

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 3 236
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 236 3

User Info Menu

Fukuhara shold won the point, but thank you soo much that she won aferwards!
    Setup
    Blade:Appelgren allplay senso v1
    FH:Tenergy 64
    BH:Calibra LT sound

Spare: Donic Waldner ultra seno carbon
    BH:Calibra LT sound
    FH:Cailibra Lt

This user has no status.

TTD Member 6 64
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 64 6
    fortunately, she won i think the umpire is getting old too xD. so, maybe he didnt see that.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 99
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 99 0
    I understand the umpire making his initial mistake..since it is hard sometimes to be 100% sure it touched the edge...But he should have changed his final decision and just admitted he made a mistake. I mean everyone knew it touched except him! Glad she won it in the end though.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 11
    C
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 11 0

User Info Menu

Oct 2010
    Read 0 Reviews
    I respect a lot Ai Fukuhara. The point in contention was huge as whoever took the 5th game would have a big psychological advantage leading 3:2. Fukuhara kept her composure, equalised in the 6th and went on to win convincingly in the last game. Wen Jia, on the other hand, must have seen it clearly that was an edge ball.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 28
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 28 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Carina
    I respect a lot Ai Fukuhara. The point in contention was huge as whoever took the 5th game would have a big psychological advantage leading 3:2. Fukuhara kept her composure, equalised in the 6th and went on to win convincingly in the last game. Wen Jia, on the other hand, must have seen it clearly that was an edge ball.
    Good point -- If Wen Jia was a true sportswomen should would of conceded the point. Remember that match where the guy physically went and turned the score board over after he was the only one who knew he faulted on the serve.

Shame on Wen Jia.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 42
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 42 0
    honest people will always prevail. hahaha!.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 11
    C
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 11 0

User Info Menu

Oct 2010
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrotaz
    Good point -- If Wen Jia was a true sportswomen should would of conceded the point. Remember that match where the guy physically went and turned the score board over after he was the only one who knew he faulted on the serve.

Shame on Wen Jia.
    Indeed, and I was watching the match on ittf live streaming as it happened. Wen Jia was right in front of the ball and must have seen it touched the edge of the table, yet she was so aggressive in her body language etc immediately after, as if she was the one being wronged! Goodness.

And the guy you were referring to was of course Wang Liqin. The true world champion.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 57 284
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 284 57
    She did well to keep her concentration after all of that.
    Excellence is a habit

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 5 499
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 499 5

User Info Menu

Nov 2010
    Read 0 Reviews
    It's unfortunate that this kind of stuff happens at times. But I would have to say that video replays would do more to hurt the sport than help. We want to be fair, but I think there are also important aspects against having replays.

After this past world cup there was alot of clamor to introduce video replays, but one of the main arguments against it was that it would hurt the flow of the game, and I think that is true with table tennis also. One of the main reasons they changed the point system to 11 points from 21 was because they want the game to be more intense and exciting. To introduce video replays would over complicate things, hinder the flow of the game, and create a lot of unnecessary stoppage.

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 4 150
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 150 4

User Info Menu

Oct 2010
    Read 0 Reviews
    REALLY iLike Ai Fukuhara so much
    * The important thing is Concentration, Focus on the ball and when the ball approaching from you by 5 cm start to control on it and do what u want.

- Don't be nerves.
    - When you Making a topspin get back to right position to prepare to the next ball.

I Wish Every One Be a Good Player at his local and in every where
    ----
    Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll ZLC
    Forehand: Butterfly Tenergy 05
    Backhand: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 11
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 11 0
    At the risk of putting people offside, as a qualified umpire I must comment from a different perspective on this controversy: Yes, the ball clearly hits the edge when viewed on television reply.

However, There are a few points that need to be said on this video clip. 1. It was the assistant umpires call, not the chair umpire's, the chair umpire cannot overrule the assistant on that side of the table. 2. the rules clearly state that the umpire must be believed by tournament referrees and/or organisers on a point of 'fact'. In this case it was an unfortunately mistake by the assistant umpire, but we all wear these decisions in sport. 3. The only recourse for the chair umpire to reverse the call was 'if the opponent acknowledges the mistake by the assistant umpire', this obviously was not forthcoming, and regardless of any intervention by the tournament referee, organiser, coaches, players, or anyone else the decision stands. 4. The whole saga of Matthew Syed intervening from the commentary box is moot, he had no right whatsoever to intercede any anyones part, that was purely and simply sensationalism for the viewing audience. In fact it is within a referee's rights to have anyone ejected from the arena in these types of circumstances. having said all that I am so pleased she went on to win.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 11
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 11 0
    On the idea of video technology: Why not simply have all edges wired to an unobtrusive light in front of the umpire!

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 4 234
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 234 4
    video technoligy would have a positive effect on the sport or they could make the actual edge of the table a diffrent material and then an umpire would know it it makes a diffrent sound

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 5 499
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 499 5

User Info Menu

Nov 2010
    Read 0 Reviews
    Yeah, but how many times is it really crucial to have video replays? I mean other than this particular point, I can't think of any other points that have been in controversy. To have to implement a entirely new system would cost a lot of money, and effort, which isn't worth it when you consider how much it would actually be used. most of the time, edge balls are really obvious, and both sides will admit it. Even in the case of balls that are ebing questioned as to whether they are edge or side balls, after a little discussion, the two players just let to it go, and go with the umpire ruling. I really don't think it's that big of a deal.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 2
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 2 0

User Info Menu

Feb 2011
    Read 0 Reviews
    The ball was totally IN. It should be a video analysis but only for particular cases

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 28
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 28 0

This is how it should be

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast