Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Another player

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
German Open - ITTF Pro Tour , Dortmund, Feb 23 - Feb 27

The German Open 2011 starts on Wednesday 23rd to Sunday 27th February 2011. It's just around the corner and this is going to be a big tournament, so I think it's time to start discussing about it.

---Draw Update---

Both inform Ma Long and Xu Xin have pulled out of the German Open 2011 at last minutes. It is not yet known why, but it's most likely to rest. Perhaps someone knows?

However play will still commence with a very strong line up of players including the likes of:
---Click players name for more information on them---

1) Timo Boll
2) Wang Hao
3) Zhang Jike
4) Ma Lin
5) Vladimir Samsonov
6) Wang Liqin
7) Joo Se Hyuk
8) Chuang Chih-Yuan
9) Dimitrij Ovtcharov
10) Oh Sang Eun

The host nation will be supporting their inform number 1 seed Timo Boll who has just recently reached the final of Qatar Open loosing to Xu Xin. Pretty much all the top players of the world are participating.

boll_22_03_09_Large.jpg

Photo By: Ayoade Ademakinwa

Who's going to win, who did you pick on the poll? Which players can pull off some upsets against the dominating Chinese?.. :)
I'll be in the Westfalenhalle on at least 2 days to watch it and I'll of course be supporting Timo Boll ;)

On the womens side of things, there's a very strong display of Guo Yan, Li Xiaoxia, Guo Yue, Kim Kyung Ah, Ai Fukuhara, Wang Yuegu, Li Jiao, Ishikawa Kasumi, Seok Ha Jung, Hirano Sayaka

Enjoy.

p.s. please submit this thread to your facebook page to bring more members to this awesome community!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
I'm sooo gonna watch it :D
I'll definitely be there on Saturday and Sunday and I hope I can make it on Wednesday and Friday too(more likely Friday[weekend:)]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
I just got the message that Xu Xin and Ma Long have withdrawn :(
Chen Qi and Hao Shuai will probably play instead..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I just got the message that Xu Xin and Ma Long have withdrawn :(
Chen Qi and Hao Shuai will probably play instead..

Man, thats unfortunate. I would rather they replace the two with two new players who we haven't been able to see that much in international play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
I think it's going to be a great tournament. Chen Qi was playing really well, and I wish they would take him instead of Ma Lin whose career is basically over. He can still play, but his mind isn't in it anymore. I think some time off would do Ma Lin some good. Ma Long has an injury as usual, and I think they pulled Xu Xin, because he has proven what he needed to prove, so they're sending him back probably knowing that he will be on the team for the worlds.
I'm not a huge fan of Chen Qi's game, but he did win a tour event, and then didn't play after that for some reason. Hao Shuai never beats anyone outside of China, so he'll be lucky to make the quarters.
Anyone know why Maze hasn't been playing? Injury?
This tournament is going to be entertaining especially with everyone cheering for Boll. Bastian Steger is always fun to watch even though he probably won't be on t.v. because he'll lose badly. I wish ITTV covered more tables, because it always has the 1 seed playing the next lowest guy when I would rather watch zhang Jike vs. WLQ or something other than Boll vs. Gao Ning or something ridiculous. Anyone know where there is a channel that covers more tables for these tourneys?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I think it's going to be a great tournament. Chen Qi was playing really well, and I wish they would take him instead of Ma Lin whose career is basically over. He can still play, but his mind isn't in it anymore. I think some time off would do Ma Lin some good. Ma Long has an injury as usual, and I think they pulled Xu Xin, because he has proven what he needed to prove, so they're sending him back probably knowing that he will be on the team for the worlds.
I'm not a huge fan of Chen Qi's game, but he did win a tour event, and then didn't play after that for some reason. Hao Shuai never beats anyone outside of China, so he'll be lucky to make the quarters.
Anyone know why Maze hasn't been playing? Injury?
This tournament is going to be entertaining especially with everyone cheering for Boll. Bastian Steger is always fun to watch even though he probably won't be on t.v. because he'll lose badly. I wish ITTV covered more tables, because it always has the 1 seed playing the next lowest guy when I would rather watch zhang Jike vs. WLQ or something other than Boll vs. Gao Ning or something ridiculous. Anyone know where there is a channel that covers more tables for these tourneys?

Yeah I agree with you, Chen Qi should be awarded with more chances to play since he won the tournament.
Someone said Ma Lin has an injured back, so yeah, I am not sure why they are having him play at all.
I also hate Hao Shuai.... his game is so like plain.... he is just really consistent, is able to get it back alot, his play style apparently causes a lot of trouble for a lot of players in the Chinese Super League, but it still is pretty boring, and he doesn't have any major strengths. I wouldn't say he doesn't beat any people though.... For the most part unless he comes up against Samsonov, and Boll, and probably Mizutani, since he sucks against players who lob, he is able to beat just about every other non-Chinese player.

As the draw goes, Boll has is super easy. No one beats him more than maybe 20 percent in the upper half of the bracket, except Ma Lin, but since Ma Lin is injured, Boll will probably make it to the finals without too much trouble. And I voted for Wang Hao to win it all

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
timo did get a very good draw, the best draw he could hv wished for, only needa face hao shuai until semi final

so here's my point of view:
wang hao............ 80-20 timo boll, 60 - 40 zhang, 50 - 50 ma lin, 90-10 wangliqin
zhang jike .............50-50 with timo boll, 40-60 wang hao, 60 - 40 ma lin but boll might hv better chance since zhang is not doing tat well recently
ma lin .....................60 - 40 against boll, 50 - 50 against chen qi , 40 - 60 zhang

my top pick
1) wang hao
2) zhang jike . timo boll ---- really the only path i see timo taking is to not face wang hao ==> if zhang beats wang hao, then timo beats zhang, but zhang jike against timo really 50 - 50 when zhang is in bad form, timo got good chance
3) chen qi, chen qi --- could beat any if in good form, consistency problem

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
I am sure with the tournament, I get so many photos and videos as possible), I can not wait :D
German Open I come :D

Hast du 'ne gute Kamera? :b
I agree with you guys, Timo has the best draw possible, I'd be mad if he made it to the final :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
is it odd/funny to people that even after the draw came out, and after david's comment that ma long isn't participating, ma long still has gotten some votes, and remains one of the top vote getters? haha