Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
One of the many reasons why table tennis is the fastest sport in the world and you need the best footwork to be the best!

Ive had a lot of questions how to do multi ball and whats the best way to do it. Well here is Xu Xin the young rising star from China in action using the drill known as Mini balls or Multi balls.

Xu_Xin.jpg

Photo by: Qatar Open's winner XU Xin (Photo Roscher)

Comment below, what do you think of multi ball? Do you implement it into your training?
Notice the way, Xu Xin is on his toes, his body transfer is always shifting him to the nest ball and hes very relaxed at the same time.

P.S How fast is Xu Xin here! by the looks of things he could go faster :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Multi ball training like this one is what makes table tennis players improve their game tremendously in only a short period of time. They do not stop wasting precious practice time picking up the ball. If you practice hitting back and forth with a friend, the chance of a miss is doubled and you spend more time picking up the ball. Please check out this video

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Multi ball training like this one is what makes table tennis players improve their game tremendously in only a short period of time. They do not stop wasting precious practice time picking up the ball. If you practice hitting back and forth with a friend, the chance of a miss is doubled and you spend more time picking up the ball. Please check out this video

Very nice ball pick up! I hate bending down all the time picking up balls! How much do you charge for these?

Dan

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Yeah that is insanely fast.... Doing that for like an hour probably not only makes you better at swinging, but builds up your endurance really well.

What Xu Xin is doing in that video is probably too hard for most people, even at slower speeds, and probably won't help beginner players as much. I probably would recommend for players who are intermediate or below to do a different kind of multiball training, where the person hitting you the ball starts with some kind of short ball, usually with back spin, so you can practice pushing it back, or a short ball without spin, so you can practice flipping, or a longer ball with backspin so you can loop it, and then after that first ball the person hitting you the ball should transition to hitting you a top spin ball. I think this type of practice probably gives the best returns on your time for intermediate players and below, because it runs you through the different stages of a point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Yeah that is insanely fast.... Doing that for like an hour probably not only makes you better at swinging, but builds up your endurance really well.
I would be dead if I would do that even 15 min lol, and I can honestly say that my physical condition is not bad at all but doing this for an hour and Im in hospital ^^

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Yeah that much concentration, and that fast movement and it being continuous can definitely drain your stamina really quickly. I try to go to the gym everyday and run at least a mile and a half, so I am in pretty decent shape so I might be able to do it at least for 15 mins. It helps that I just love table tennis so much, that its like the only thing I could do for like 6 hours straight without really getting bored with it.

I don't know how the Chinese players do it for so long, every day, after like 3-4 hours of even medium training, your whole body aches, and your joints start feeling stiff.... For players like Ma Lin, who style requires so much effort and energy, its amazing he has stayed in tip top shape for so long.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
... two comments: 1. How important is multi-ball? Well... it's probably the MOST important ... or at least MOST effective way to train table tennis.. that's why all coaching implements it.

2. That's not... that fast. o_O I see 12 year olds do that ... in Dallas, TX. I've tried before as well, my problem is definitely stamina, can't keep it up for long enough. But... that's why its a drill that needs repeating. :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Multiball is a must. If Xu Xin needs to do multiball so do everyone of us! It's a standard part of table tennis training.