What Equipment should a defender use?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I've been chatting with my coach and we have different points of view. He thinks a defender shoal play with normal rubber both sides, whereas I play with long pimples and I thinknit is better. What do all of you guys think? I think long pips or short pips are better at top level and that's why you don't see too defenders with inverted both sides... I mean, joo Chen and hou all play with pimples, don't they?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
slow blade
long pips backhand
normal rubber on the forehand slightly faster

I agree with you Charlie. My coach believes long pimples are limited once your opponent knows what they do, but I know that they are almost as unpredictable as normal rubber, because you can kill the spin or impart spin on the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
slow blade
long pips backhand
normal rubber on the forehand slightly faster

I agree with you Charlie. My coach believes long pimples are limited once your opponent knows what they do, but I know that they are almost as unpredictable as normal rubber, because you can kill the spin or impart spin on the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011

thats why you do what joo does every chop he does is different sometimes slightly more side spin then a little more heavier and so on to keep your opponents guessing

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I totally agree with Charlie, coz it will give you a bit more variety, such as a floater. Tacky surface like butterfly chop will give immense control and backspin and occasionally allow you to attack. With two very different type of rubbers, it will also allow you to 'twiddle', and this will keep your opponents guessing.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I used to use an off- with friendship lightning on forehand and friendship short pips on backhand, i prefer short pips more consistent for me than long and on occasion I used to flick and use them for a forehand slap if the ball floated up high :p Never used that combination too seriously though I'm an offensive player at heart :)

I used to use an off- with friendship lightning on forehand and friendship short pips on backhand, i prefer short pips more consistent for me than long and on occasion I used to flick and use them for a forehand slap if the ball floated up high :p Never used that combination too seriously though I'm an offensive player at heart :)

WOW! i didnt know that u used to be a pipster :)