what age did you start playing tt

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I started playing on and off from probably age 10 or so, mostly because my dad loved it. Then after training for like a week while on a trip to China, I really got into it and played a ton during the last two years of high school and especially undergrad. But that was just with friends who weren't as good as me, so it was hard to really get a lot better quickly. It was just watching videos, emulating what pros did, and then through trial and error slowly getting better. It was only like last summer when I started to play at a club regularly that I made some relatively big improvements.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I started playing socially when I was 8, when i was 11 I got a new coach from the Yantai training academy who coached me for 2 years. I kept playing as table tennis died in my city and hung on until I moved to a new city for University where I'm training my butt off for the 3rd year here. I'm 20 nearly 21 now so it's been a long ride and I ain't planning on getting off the train for a while! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Just 13. I'm actually sad that i only played this sport now. :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Started at 12, trained for 1 and half year. Then 32 years gap. My father plays whole life. Recently moved close to parents. Took son to father's club to play with him a bit. Started myself. That was 2 years ago. Son continues Judo, it is the best for them, imo.

I thought it's late, and put it to my ID. But some here started even later. Also, if I knew that the word EJ is treated with such a high respect here, I'd choose another ID. But I guess for change it's too late...

Reactions: Tango K
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
Started at 16 seriously in a club, before that it was more casually at home, with friends. Then I took the music business more seriously (;)) at 26 and came back to it at 30 for 2 years or so... and I stopped again... and came back again in July 2020 because it was lockdown and all venues closed so no music business anymore, only sport clubs were opened... and I needed to loose that stubborn 48 belly :D

A broken collarbone led me to TT: I was more into volley ball at 15, training really hard, and I was a passer, that broken collarbone stopped my progression: I was not able to do a decent pass anymore for 6 months at least, and a better one than me came from the bench and took the place. It was the left shoulder, and I'm a right hand player, so it was ok for TT.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
A broken collarbone led me to TT: I was more into volley ball at 15, training really hard, and I was a passer, that broken collarbone stopped my progression: I was not able to do a decent pass anymore for 6 months at least, and a better one than me came from the bench and took the place. It was the left shoulder, and I'm a right hand player, so it was ok for TT.

Hey there your broken collarbone reminded me of myself. I started at 9, i practiced mostly in 3 months of the summer (when there was no school) until 12 when i broke my left collarbone (i’m right handed) and i had to stop for a while. When i was about to come back the next summer, i broke my right forearm and had to stop again. Only restarted seriously at 18 and play until now (32). I was a very promising kid before the long break, but after that, I could never catch up with the kids that I usually beat before who continued practicing without breaks.

Reactions: Music&Ping
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I started at 10. Lived in Sweden from 10 until I was 14 so I got a good start. But we moved to a place in the US where it was pretty hard to progress optimally (without total commitment from family, and my parents more or less tolerated my driving several hours to tournaments but no way they were going to let me fly to either coast, or Detroit).

I'm 63 now. There was a 15 year period when I was in graduate school and beginning of career where I didn't play. Partly job obsession and partly (again) where I lived. The US is not like Germany, where there are clubs and leagues and good players everywhere! I look back and figure I could have been more TT proactive, but I played tennis, had a little sailboat. Got married. Did other stuff.

Last 20+ years I made up for lost time, until Covid-19.

Last edited: