Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey Everyone,

Heres some rare footage of behind the scenes from the China Trials for WTTC 2011. Video and documentary shortly. Heres some snap shots! im not accusing Ma LIn here but in this snap shot we can see different glues being used

What is this glue Ma Lin is using? Does anyone know?

pic 4.jpg pic 3.jpg ma lin pic glue 2.jpg ma lin pic glue.jpg
Photos owned by: CCTV5 broadcasting company

If you notice there are two pots in the pictures... one is a white tube known as FineZip by Nittaku,, but the pot with the yellow lid seems to be liquid form.... (It reminds me of the Haifu Speed Glue pots i use to have :D )

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Uhm,good question,interesting thread Dan.
I can't see the picture well...

says http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fee_GZUUelw
says http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fee_GZUUelw
Nov 2010
it doesn't matter almost all top players boost, but i'm very sure timo doesn't, all chinese boost they can't without but on this pictures i don't see any boost ?? maybe something for better stick to the blade i don't know

says TBS - H3/Tengery 64 YEO - H3/Xplode
Feb 2011
you're looking at finezip by nittaku (white tube) and some form of haifu booster. if you notice the rubber curls up pretty good. so you need something pretty strong to hold down the rubber. finezip does a really good job at that. its pretty thick.

says Table tennis shop: http://www.killypong.be
says Table tennis shop: http://www.killypong.be
Mar 2011
on the video you can see clearly that the rubber of WLQ is boosted i think it's a tenergy...
i think timo doesn't boost but the company is doing it for him so it's the same :) on the video the tube is a sort of white glue but the other bottle i've no idea what this is...

This user has no status.
S

This user has no status.
I use haifu speed glue...
but by itself it won't do anything to a chinese rubber (unless you glue 10 mins before the tournament).
so first you need to apply booster and then in order to have some really cool weapon you can use speed glue :-D
the other possibility is that they filled that bottle with booster.
or they have some mixture of booster and glue and apply all at once, I don't know.
they probably use speed glue for the chinese rubber and water glue for the backhand rubber...

Feb 2011
the haifu speed glue (blue whale 2) is different than the haifu oil/booster. apparently it's no longer distributed in the market so only people with connections can get it (ie: chinese national team)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay, a few things. First, I don't really feel like gluing up is a big deal. I think it is sort of lame that they banned it. Knowing that they banned it, I also have a feeling all the top players get around this in one way or another. But I am not so sure that this video shows much of anything. At the club I play at in New York, the guy who runs the place goes to China several times a year. He usually comes back with glue that is in that same yellow bottle. Now I know that used to mean speed glue. But what he comes back with is from Haifu and it is not speed glue. It is just glue. If you use it, it takes a while to dry but it will not change the playing characteristics of your rubber. I am not sure if it is water based and VOC free but that is because I have never really bothered to look closely at the label. But the stuff he brings back in that same basic bottle with the yellow lid is not as brown as the photo above in this thread. It looks more like regular rubber cement. I am not sure what to call the color, because it is not clear and it is not white.

Here is a description from Haifu of what their new water based glue does:

"Let me explain the Haifu "Tuner". It is actually not a tuning adhesive. That's my mistake for a bad translation. It is called a preadhesive glue. In chinese pinyin, it's called "da di"

Haifu "Tuner" = a very elastic VOC-Free Water Based Glue.

Haifu asks you to put 4-10 layers of the "Tuner" over the sponge. Each layer adds onto the overall elasticity of the rubber. It does not expand the sponge nor does it change any properties of the sponge. The elasticity of the rubber as a whole is increased due to the elasticity of the glue layer. The more layers of elastic voc-free glue, the faster the rubber plays and the louder it clicks. Once again, let me reiterate that the Haifu "Tuner" DOES NOT CHANGE THE PROPERTIES OF THE SPONGE.

Directions on how to do your own factory tuning:"

I got that from here: http://www.powerpingpong.com/haoiltuprgl.html

Are they boosting? Again, I think all of the top players are probably boosting.

My question is, why would these guys let themselves be filmed doing something against the rules of their sport? Ma Lin clearly knows he is being filmed. Right? Wang Liqin seems to know as well. Why would they let that happen knowing what it would mean if ITTF officials got their hands on it? I mean, could you imagine Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire smiling for the camera while being filmed injecting steriods? :cool:

Liqin did already get disqualified from a tournament he had "won" for his racket.

They should get smart like Timo and let their sponsoring rubber companies do the boosting for them.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
it doesn't matter almost all top players boost, but i'm very sure timo doesn't, all chinese boost they can't without but on this pictures i don't see any boost ?? maybe something for better stick to the blade i don't know

I don't think Timo Boll does either..but just curious as to why you think he doesn't?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
I never met timo boll before but I can guarantee you that he is boosting. If you dont boost you cant keep up with the high level of nowadays. I dont have proof that he is boosting, but he sure does. If I play with tenergy on a timo boll blade they dont click as much as his rubbers. I know the pro's get the best rubbers, and we only get to play with the leftovers. If you read the interviews of the pro players on this forum, you can see a few just say they are boosting, the rest just avoids the question. They dont say they boost, but they also dont say they dont boost if you know what i mean.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I am curious, where does the belief that Boll never boosts comes from? Does it just stem from the fact that he has a nice personality? Granted he seems incredibly nice, incredibly humble, but to just automatically jump to saying he probably doesn't boost seems kind of absurd. If all the top players are supposedly still doing it, I find it hard to believe that Boll wouldn't also. Especially in a sport like table tennis where even the little things can make a big difference.

As for the pictures, and the video, I haven't seen the video, but I assume it is shown from a Chinese broadcast. In which I am very sure they wouldn't make the simple mistake of showing players actively cheating. That would be absurd, because both the TV network and the table tennis team are funded by the government. If anything, if they were cheating, they would make sure that the bottle was out of sight before they started filming.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
O
My question is, why would these guys let themselves be filmed doing something against the rules of their sport?

That video proves nothing.

Did you see him apply booster to his rubber? Nope.

There is absolutely no evidence in that video, except for some glue bottles sitting on a table...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That video proves nothing.

Did you see him apply booster to his rubber? Nope.

There is absolutely no evidence in that video, except for some glue bottles sitting on a table...

That is what I was implying in my statement. The video does not show anything. The bottle that is being called booster, I have seen being distributed with Glue that I am pretty sure is legal. I do not think this video shows them doing something against the rules.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
By the way, if Timo does not boost, he probably gets pretuned Tenergy that is already boosted from Butterfly. They are all doing something to enhance the playing characteristics of their rubbers. I just do not think these guys would be foolish enough to let themselves be filmed doing it. That would be really stupid. Again, could you imagine Barry Bonds or Mark McGwire filming themselves injecting steroids. Or could you imagine Lawrence Tailor having himself being filmed snorting cocaine?

These guys would not have let themselves be filmed if it was a simple clear case that they were breaking the rules. I cannot believe they would be so foolish.