What do coaches say to players between sets?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Hello everyone,

I have been wondering about this for long time. The mysterious conversations between coaches and players at break times.
It would be so nice to know what does Liu Guoliang usually say to Xu Xin, ZJK, Ma Long, etc. separately. Or from some other famous coaches?

I, myself, usually say to my students during games to switch spin between serves, attack as first sign, do not go so far from table and do not play opponent's game, etc. It is very important to encourage your players during games.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Nice question, what I really focus on is encouraging the player to be positive and believe in his game. It also depends on what type of player he is against to tell them a tactic. I think most coaches have their own unique ways, my old coach use to gear me up loads and get me really up for the matc because that's what he thought was best to get me playing at my best, whereas my other coach tried making me calm.

I think it's important to understand the type of player your coaching, getting them to reach their optimum arousal level is key.

Tactics, yes varying serve, getting in first, playing first ball to the middle (important one) and trying to impose their game on the opponent.

Great thread, I would also be very interested in what top coaches like Liu Guoliang etc say to their players.

Reactions: jedimasterplk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Well I don't know what the professional coaches say but here are my thoughts:
First of all, I think it depends on the person you're coaching, how they get the best coached (do they want to know their mistakes or opponents weakpoints, ...) and what they're playing against.

First of all, I listen to the players problems. If there are none or the player doesn't know, I tell them what they did good and to focus more on that. I also tell them where they shouldn't play. And of course variation, topspins on the table on various positions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Some times recordings will get the talks by the coaches or LGL. somes times CCTV commentators (ex champs or current coaches) will also comment what the player should or do.

LGL is a very wise coach. He has different method for different players.

For ZJK sake at London, the interview later state that LGL informed ZJK that if he continues to play like this, he will loose. Told him to wake up and show the Japanese player how ZJK plays like. Because he haven't seen ZJK yet today.
That apparently push ZJK to the limit, and from a 1-2 (almost 0-3), ZJK came back to win with ease.

Otherwise, it is tactically talks most of the time.

I personally believe there is more weight in the Mandarin, and more words can be conveyed in a short time frame. Thus I believe the Chinese coaches can get more acrossed to players compared to other languages.

DTE

This user has no status.

DTE

This user has no status.
May 2013
What we need is a chinese lip reader, then we will know.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Thanks for the posts guys, great reads.

Some times recordings will get the talks by the coaches or LGL. somes times CCTV commentators (ex champs or current coaches) will also comment what the player should or do.

LGL is a very wise coach. He has different method for different players.

For ZJK sake at London, the interview later state that LGL informed ZJK that if he continues to play like this, he will loose. Told him to wake up and show the Japanese player how ZJK plays like. Because he haven't seen ZJK yet today.
That apparently push ZJK to the limit, and from a 1-2 (almost 0-3), ZJK came back to win with ease.

Otherwise, it is tactically talks most of the time.

I personally believe there is more weight in the Mandarin, and more words can be conveyed in a short time frame. Thus I believe the Chinese coaches can get more acrossed to players compared to other languages.

And yeah I remember that interview! The next time I interview a coach I will use this question.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Good idea.
But must do it straight after the match, otherwise after a while, the coach may forget :)

Yeah I agree, I feel I have won so many matches due to having a someone in my corner to coach me. It would be interesting to know whether sometimes pro's feel they won or lost a match due to their corner person.

p.s. In my corner as long as the person has water for me, I'm happy haha! Get so dehydrated when I play :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Read 2 reviews
Thanks for the posts guys, great reads.

And yeah I remember that interview! The next time I interview a coach I will use this question.

Can you ask/suggest to ITTF to let us hear the conversation during the break etc... at least we can learn a thing or two. Some games, LGL just scolds the player that you made silly/cheap mistake.... Nothing much about tactical game.( i guess before the match, LGL & player already well prepared for the game,tactic etc )
and during the game, coach just correct his mistake, or ask to attack opponent's weakness etc... be patience/calm etc are the vital point. My personal opinion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Can you ask/suggest to ITTF to let us hear the conversation during the break etc... at least we can learn a thing or two. Some games, LGL just scolds the player that you made silly/cheap mistake.... Nothing much about tactical game.( i guess before the match, LGL & player already well prepared for the game,tactic etc )
and during the game, coach just correct his mistake, or ask to attack opponent's weakness etc... be patience/calm etc are the vital point. My personal opinion.

Yeah
CNT has tactical training for each opponent.
There have many plans, not just one.

coach will only correct mistake or make suggestions, or decide to go plan b or c etc.
also what is planned may not always be the case as it depends on opponent, ie if opponent had weak backhand on the day, the plan will shift around and incorporate backhand more.

for ITTF sake, i just wish they get more camera and better lighting as priority
From CCTV I can hear what coaches say ;)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews

Good suggestion, I will ask because I would like to see more coach/player interaction :)

Reactions: ducksick