Multiball Training

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thought this could be an interesting discussion.

1) How many of you do multiball training, and what is the ratio in percentage compared to "other" training?

2) Does the feeder normally stand by the net, between net and end of table, or at end of the table?

3) Does the feeder bounce the ball first or not?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Thought this could be an interesting discussion.

1) How many of you do multiball training, and what is the ratio in percentage compared to "other" training?

2) Does the feeder normally stand by the net, between net and end of table, or at end of the table?

3) Does the feeder bounce the ball first or not?

1) Depends on the type of players you play with. If you play with equally competitive player then i would say 50 - 50. Or else i would devote 60% of my time in multiball another 20% in usual drill practice and another 20% in playing matches.

2)If the feeder is feeding you a backspin then it would be best if stands near to the net either on left hand side or right. If the feeder is feeding you topsins , end of the table is the best place i feel.

3) It is very important for the feeder to maintain the rhythm for beginner to intermediate level players. I believe in achieving consistency first and then go for the speed. Bouncing the ball helps to achieve this rhythm thereby resulting in better consistency.

Some really helpful videos

- Audio is in Russia with English subtitles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Pavlik, stop spamming and hijacking my thread!!!!!

Same with your Fake Ma Long Facebook account, spaming everyone on Facebook!!!
https://www.facebook.com/pavlik.pochula/ (Fake Ma Long Account)

https://www.youtube.com/user/MANHAUTTABLETENNIS/ (With full of your youtube videos on Fake Ma Long wall, and Fake Ma Long spamming so many peoples Wall)

If you want to be a video poster (to profit from it or not), at least first learn some ethics and moral of the internet, and stop identity fraud!

Now I hope this thread, can become useful again

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
1) Depends on the type of players you play with. If you play with equally competitive player then i would say 50 - 50. Or else i would devote 60% of my time in multiball another 20% in usual drill practice and another 20% in playing matches.

I reckon 60% is really high for "out side China".
This is very good.

In South Africa, it is really low, maybe single digit percent.
I use 80% multiball.
My theory is, we don't have hours to practice, so the hours we have, we must hit more balls, move more and work harder.

Two reason why most of SA don't do multiball is they don't have lots of balls (anything under 150 balls per bucket doesn't count imo) and they love to do FH to FH looping and counter looping

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
1) 50-50
2)near the table:)
3)they only bounce it on the table 1st when feeding underspin..other all doesnt bounce the ball..:)

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Great posts guys and good question.

1) I implement a lot of multi ball when I practice with with someone. I find it very good because they can work on their technique and it sharpens their game up quickly. During a regular practice week at the Bristol Table Tennis Academy we use Thursday to just solely focus on multi ball. Players at the Academy also learn how to feed multi ball which can sometimes take a while to learn.

Heres a multi ball session at the Academy with Korean training partner Jekwon Choi

When I do 1-1 coaching sessions, if it's an hour session I will tend to do around 15 minutes of multi ball. Sometimes I incorporate the both whereby I feed a backspin ball, block the next one and start again.

2) I usually stand by the end of the table. I feel this is more realistic and I saw a lot of the Chinese coaches feed multi ball this way when I watched them train at the WSA. Sometimes I am a lot closer to the net if the multi ball has a touch exercise in it. To help the player work on stepping in and out with a touch/flick.

3) I bounce the ball first when I want to impart backspin on the ball however when I put normal spin/topspin I don't bounce the ball.

Keep your posts coming all I like this thread. Maybe we could embed some videos on how we do multi ball.

Reactions: vik
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I used to do multiball maybe 10-15% of the time. I recognise it's benefits but essentially I prefer to train with training partners. In saying that this year I have done no multiball training mainly because I have had a few setbacks with my health.

I'll be looking into doing more multiball next year, I prefer the feeder to be up at the net and feeding without a bounce for topspin balls and with a bounce for backspin, that's how I feed multiball myself :)

When I coach, my sessions are about 30-40% multiball for 1-1 private coaching and always multiball first, this is to define what is going to be worked on, repeat the correct technique or concept many times and then built it into a table exercise without multiball. That's my coaching philosophy on how I use multiball :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Backhand Training

I'm using multiball to help train footwook. I foudn the footwork foundation isn't strong, so the below training is all based on moving horitonzally.

Footwork Training:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
With one of my students who didn't play for few weeks due to exams.
These videos was warming her up for the local provincial tournament, goal is to make top 4, so she can make the provincial team.
So this is basically her only training session, a day before the tournament.

Cheyenne is also member of the SA U21 Girls team that won bronze in the African Teams tournament this year, and she is only 17.
She only trains 10 hours a week, or less, so imagine if she has the chance to train 20 hours

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
This is great Tony! You seem like an awesome dude, role model, and amazing coach! :) I am going to try this two table multi ball!

haha, thanks Dan.
If your students don't like the 2 table drill, don't say the idea was from me lol.
My students don't like it, I force them to train it, especially when they are lazy

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
haha, thanks Dan.
If your students don't like the 2 table drill, don't say the idea was from me lol.
My students don't like it, I force them to train it, especially when they are lazy

Haha I won't :D I have seen Chinese coaches do this before on youtube, but I cannot find the video. It is to build footwork right?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Haha I won't :D I have seen Chinese coaches do this before on youtube, but I cannot find the video. It is to build footwork right?

Yes, pure footwork and endurance.

Infact, all my multiball training is focus on footwork, I have only made little adjustment on hand technique.
I'm not used to the lack of footwork development here, so since Ive been invovled, I've been trying to get my students to move better (one action, not 2 or 3 or 4)

Reactions: Dan
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Korea coaches who work with amature club players have a system pretty consistent across different clubs.

With brand new players, it is almost 100% multiball. You would think after a few sessions, coach would progress player to newer stuff, but they stay on the same drill like a bloodhound dog until the player can do seemingly 1000 hits correct. When the coach does move up the player to something new, it is usually another multiball drill. Only time you see single ball is during the FH to FH warmup. When coach finally does phase in a single ball drill, it is usually the FH drive, then BH punch keep it on table and alive, FH Drive, BH Punch forever.

When player gets to be a decent div 4 level, coach does more and more single ball. Usually serve short to BH or FH, player bumps it back short or fast deep to BH corner, coach pushes long to BH and player either BH or FH opens, then covers a fast block to FH line, then tries (usually unsuccessfully) to cover the resulting fast block to BH corner. That is one of many drills. Some of the more explosive ones are BH flick to BH corner, step around FH, then crossover step to wide Fh, then another crossover to BH and back and forth as long as you can.

Even with Div 1 players, coach will still use some multiball, but it is maybe 1/4 of what they do. A couple multiball drills at that level are coach feeds a short cut, player steps in and flicks and coach gives you a fast ball at your crossover that you must recover and hit with a FH drive. Another multiball drill is a simulation of Falkenburg where coach keeps sending random deep cut balls to FH, crossover, and BH and player must FH loop ALL of these. Another usefull multiball drill is the block and counter drill. Coach stands close to net and machine gun fires lots of fast balls everywhere random and you gotta block, sometimes if you see it in time counterdrive for winner. Coach will feed it faster than you can practically handle, but that is what causes change in you to become faster.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
@Der_Echte, So, basically the idea is to kill the player? :)

We do multiball twice a week. Feeder stands by the net and bounces the ball before contact.

Trying to do multiball 4 times a week and 30 mins per session. Just to give an idea, I play 20 hours a week and out of that <10% is multiball. 70% is anticipation drills. Rest are warm up strokes.

Edit: However, if there's tournament coming up, I play two sessions a day. Typically one hour in the morning with 15 mins warmup and 45 mins multiball. Then 8 hours of staring at the computer followed by another 2.5 hour session in the evening with players at the club.

Last edited:

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Yes, pure footwork and endurance.

Infact, all my multiball training is focus on footwork, I have only made little adjustment on hand technique.
I'm not used to the lack of footwork development here, so since Ive been invovled, I've been trying to get my students to move better (one action, not 2 or 3 or 4)

That makes a lot of sense awesome stuff! This is what Paul Drinkhall said when I interviewed him the other day. He likes multi ball because it makes him sharper and speeds him up. I try to also get my trainers to grasp spinning the ball against backspin. I have seen big improvement in players once they have mastered this art, to brush the ball with spin.