Multiball Training

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Ok I promised I would add some videos here eventually. Sorry for the poor quality I had to use my phone to take them. I am feeding to Yang Song Wei, a reasonably levelled provincial player from China. The videos are all topspin, it's part 1 and 2 three point forehand and part 1 and 2 full table free.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Quality multi ball feeding there @PingPongPom Yang Song Wei looks like a very good player! He is living in the US? Does he have a full time salary playing for his province? His footwork is amazing!

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Quality multi ball feeding there @PingPongPom Yang Song Wei looks like a very good player! He is living in the US? Does he have a full time salary playing for his province? His footwork is amazing!

He's here for 6 months coaching, he's pretty solid but a bit out of shape I've been taking him to the gym with me as well. From watching this you wouldn't believe how unfit he is at the moment LOL

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
He's here for 6 months coaching, he's pretty solid but a bit out of shape I've been taking him to the gym with me as well. From watching this you wouldn't believe how unfit he is at the moment LOL

Haha I can imagine, I had a friend similar to this. Was a province Chinese player. He came to England so out of shape it was crazy :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I really like multiball, it speeds you up and makes you realize your mistakes especially in footwork.

When I am not training multiball I see a 20- 30 % decrease in my performance, it really enhances your spirit/body and forces you just to focus on the ball and execute. The numerous repetitions is what gives a player consistency in his shots. There is no other exercise that can sharpen your timing so well

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I really like multiball, it speeds you up and makes you realize your mistakes especially in footwork.

When I am not training multiball I see a 20- 30 % decrease in my performance, it really enhances your spirit/body and forces you just to focus on the ball and execute. The numerous repetitions is what gives a player consistency in his shots. There is no other exercise that can sharpen your timing so well

So agree.

I think multiball is the only kind of TT training that can push one to the limit and continue pushing until the body is no longer able to continue.
And once you do this everyday, you will see a huge improvement from day 1 to day 10, yet alone day 100

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Multiball is a great way to train, I put this video in another thread but here it is anyway it's from my last multiball session which I decided to video for fun :p

If you watch Matt's feeder in this video, sometimes, when it is backspin he bounces the ball, but not always. When it is topspin, he does not bounce the ball. At least that is how he is feeding for Matt. Bouncing the ball when feeding topspin might be useful for feeding a lower level player than Matt though.

Looking good Matt, and in those videos where you are feeding, really solid feeding.

Last edited:
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
If you watch Matt's feeder in this video, sometimes, when it is backspin he bounces the ball, but not always. When it is topspin, he does not bounce the ball. At least that is how he is feeding for Matt. Bouncing the ball when feeding topspin might be useful for feeding a lower level player than Matt though.

Looking good Matt, and in those videos where you are feeding, really solid feeding.

Haha thanks I love making people work hard when they do multiball. That's all topspin feeding though I'll see if I can get some more footage soon :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Haha thanks I love making people work hard when they do multiball. That's all topspin feeding though I'll see if I can get some more footage soon :)

Yep, your feeding is all topspin, no bounce and you are close to the net to make him work hard. hahaha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
The "bad" thing about multiball is once you get used to it you realize how much important it is to your development and even more for the stability of a good performance. I realized that even if I train regularly if I dont do multiball my quality of shots is not so good in matches and thus sometimes play passively because I know that I cant execute perfect shots with ease. Maybe I should do shadow training instead of wasting my time on the internet :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
I am also a great lover of multiball game and i think this thread is best to discuss multiball. I think its a wonderful way to share information. All videos are really nice so thanks everyone for sharing videos.
lakecountybootcamps

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
@Der_Echte, So, basically the idea is to kill the player? :)

We do multiball twice a week. Feeder stands by the net and bounces the ball before contact.

Trying to do multiball 4 times a week and 30 mins per session. Just to give an idea, I play 20 hours a week and out of that <10% is multiball. 70% is anticipation drills. Rest are warm up strokes.

Edit: However, if there's tournament coming up, I play two sessions a day. Typically one hour in the morning with 15 mins warmup and 45 mins multiball. Then 8 hours of staring at the computer followed by another 2.5 hour session in the evening with players at the club.

This is the reason why we are not able to produce top players from the second most populous country in the world. Highest ranked Indian player is Sharath Kamal WR 50 second is Soumyajit Ghosh WR 139.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Yes buddy, thats why barring Sharath Kamal , most of the top players have very very unimpressive footwork. Its incredible how top indian players have incredible touch and feel for the ball and most of them are sufferring because they did not have a pro coach when they were kids. And thats the case with most indian sports other than cricket