Multiball Training

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have a question about multiball... How to convince people to do it? I don't have a coach.

It takes some practice to feed multiball well. It is not so easy. But I am surprised you have trouble finding someone who wants you to feed them multiball. And if you find someone who does, then you just have to tell them, I'll feed you if you feed me. And then you trade timeslots, like, one feeds for 5 min then switch.

If the person likes you feeding them but doesn't want to do the feeding, well, you tell them it has to go both ways.

Besides, 5 min can get you pretty tired if the person feeding is decent. So alternating in 5 min intervals is pretty decent.

But you will have to practice feeding multiball. And you have to accept that, if you get good at it, the person who is feeding you, still may be bad at feeding. Particularly if you have to convince him it is to his benefit to learn to feed multiball. A person like that will probably not want to practice it to improve at it.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hope to revive this thread again.
I have recorded a little multiball training session (for me is the best way of training, at least 40 % of week training.)
Can anyone give me some tips or something in which I can improve?
Any little tip will be appreciated :)

Nice video.
I think your upper body movement shows that you have done many hours of training.
The balls are going in and with good spin/speed.

I would like to suggest to try focus more on movement and footwork. From the short clip above, I would say you rely way too much on your upper body and not enough from your footwork.

I would say, once you are moving better with footwork, to do the drill in the video (irregular feeding).
When I mean by footwork is that you currently only rely mostly from waist and upwards. Focus more from right knee to left knee transfer and make sure you are always "stepping", even if it is on the same position.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I have a question about multiball... How to convince people to do it? I don't have a coach.

Most people don't like to feed
My students don't feed (if i'm not around) - they all deserve a million hours of squats

My suggestion is get a training buddy, and feed to each other.

A bad feeder is worst than anything too

Last edited:
Very interesting thread. In my opinion multiball training is one of the best ways to improve table tennis skills. So if there is no trainer available, try to grab a friend or training partner and start feeding each other. I think the most important thing is that both players are motivated and want to improve. Feeding needs also some training, but can be learned by every player. The following article conatins some basic tips, if you want to learn feeding multiball.

http://ponguniverse.com/blog/why-ev...-use-multiball-training-to-improve-his-skills

@TTnach: For more acceleration when looping with your forehand, try to snap your forearm. This will give you a faster and more powerful stroke.

To the initial questions of thread:
1: Youth players in our club have ca. 30% multiball training. Due to lack of time the own multi ball training is often missed out.
2/3.: In my opinion the position of the feeder and the way of feeding (direct/indirect) depends on the kind of exercise. Short balls are easier to feed close to the net. For long balls the ball trajectory is more realistic when feeded from the end of the table. The link above contains also some thoughts about this topics.

Here are some excerpts and ideas from our multi ball training: