Is tabletennis a sport? Scholl argumention

says Tabletennis player from Sweden and Italy. Swedish club...
May 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hi guys, i am going to talk about why TT is a sport. And i need some help with arguments that can help me in the argumentation. So please help me guys. Thanks!

Reactions: DutToitymnTon
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
1) for all ages and levels
2) have health benefits
3) a round ball, played by 2 or more pepole
4) you get tired, sweat, injury etc
5) you need to train for it
6) its in the olympic
7) its 100 years old
8) stats - speed and spin of the ball, very fast with high rpm
And if that still doesn't work, I will give out free training vouchers and give them a training session or two. i'm sure that will fix it.

Reactions: bear and Alborz
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
If possible, include video material to your presentation. It's the best way to show what table tennis is. If thats not possible, maybe tell what it takes to get to the top: for example the chinese train like 6-8 hours a day 360 days a year for 20 years to be the best + maybe other physical training and all the tactical knowledge you need. The main point is that the training is hard work, nothing like playing for fun on the lunchbrake.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
If you are constructing an argument then a definition of sport would be a good place to start 'an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature' then you can clearly justify a set of criteria and argue how table tennis meets those criteria.

Athleticism and Physical Prowess - show fitness programmes and physical training involvement in table tennis, the physical nature of an intense match or of multiball training.

Skill Requirement - Show various amazing shots, different spins and implementation of physics into the game, spin, acceleration concepts and theories and demonstrate the amount of analysis of tactics and technique required to become a great player.

Competitive Nature - Perhaps you can outline celebrations by players such as Zhang Jike to outline the release of competitive tension upon victory or examine the fact that in a 2 serve - 11 point game it's all or nothing and every point is fought for.

That's a good place to start, hope it helps :)

Reactions: Dan and Belisar

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
This user has no status.
Just show them this image of Wang Liqin :)

Wang-Liqin-3.jpg

May 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thank you guys!, I am writing down the argument and in November its start to talk with the hole class about TT is a sport

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Here is the definition of sport from the dictionary

sport

noun: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other
: sports in general
: a physical activity (such as hunting, fishing, running, swimming, etc.) that is done for enjoyment

- Is table tennis a contest or game? Yes.
- In table tennis, do people perform certain physical activities? Yes.
- In table tennis are there a specific set of rules? Yes.
- In table tennis, do people compete against each other? Yes.

What is there to argue about?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thank you guys!, I am writing down the argument and in November its start to talk with the hole class about TT is a sport

Not sure it is allowed, but maybe you can reherse your "talk" with us here before doing it in class.
I'm sure everyone here wants you to do well and make all your classmate know what TT is about :)

Reactions: Dan