Paul Drinkhall Interview - Professional Player (World Rank 83)

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
TableTennisDaily exclusive interview with Table Tennis professional Paul Drinkhall!

Thanks for taking part in our TableTennisDaily interview Paul.

Enjoy the questions!

Full Name: Paul Drinkhall
Date Of Birth: 16/01/1990
Club represented: Werder Bremen
Highest World Ranking: 83

paulsupportttd.jpg

Your career

How long have you been playing table tennis for, when did you start?

I started playing table tennis when I was 7 years old, so I have been playing for 16 years now!

Who has been the biggest influence on your career?

I think Liu Jiayi my coach has been the biggest influence on my table tennis career, he brought a different aspect to my game which helped me along the way to win multiple medals as a cadet and junior in europe and the world. Jiayi also gave me the Chinese style of play, more speed and trying to play and execute my forehand more. He is also great at multi ball so that helped my game with speed and things. My previous coaches were also good but he just brought them few different things which helped, also Jiayi has a different way of thinking which is more positive and that you must believe in your game.

drinkhallinterview1.jpg

Drinkhall with coach Liu Jiayi - Photo by: ETTA

You’re a very successful international star now, what do you feel was your biggest achievement to date?

For me when I won 3 titles and the European youth championship in the singles, doubles and mixed doubles and personally I never lost a match throughout the competition, One other big achievement for me was carrying the flag at the opening ceremony of the Australian youth Olympic festival for team GB!

Ok, maybe you don't like looking back to this but what was your biggest low in your career?

For me a low was loosing at the Commonwealth games in 2006 in Melbourne, I lost the Yang Zi who at the time was much higher ranked than me but I really wanted to put a mark on the TT world in that tournament and I felt that I could of done that but I underperformed, however I used that as a learning curve and that tournament really helped me in my junior Europeans victory's.

Lesliefrancs - HI, Is pursuing a life towards TT worth the rewards? and does playing TT full time effect your personal life?

It all depends what kind of rewards you would say are worth it, For me I love the sport and the competitive side of it, Playing in an event like the Olympics made all my sacrifices worth while, Also you can make a good financial living if you are at a good level and clever with where and how you play! regarding personal life, It will effect your life if you want to make it to the top as you will need to put almost all your free time into training on the table and physical, however you will make a personal life within table tennis.

YosuaYosan asks, What are your major goals in table tennis?

I want to win a medal at a major such as Europeans, worlds or Olympics! (or all 3)

What are your thoughts about the 2016 Olympics?

I feel if my game come's together which it is starting to now all my different aspects of my game are fitting together then I can be a threat in 2016.

drinkhallinterview2.jpg

Drinkhall at the London 2012 Olympics - Photo by: Getty Images

Moving to Germany

You signed for Bundisliga team Werder Bremen in the highest division in Germany. How have you found competing in such a high level?

It's great being around top players on a daily basis and I feel I am learning everyday I am over there!

drinkhallinterview3.jpg

Drinkhall with team mate Chuang Chih Yuan prior to training - Photo by: radiobremen

Do you feel this has improved your game?

My game has improved since moving to Germany, I nor need to transfer that into the matches that I play.

What aspects do you find different at the highest level in this league when you play players like Timo Boll, Koki Niwa and Ryu Seung Min?

I think the consistency is the biggest difference both in the game also throughout the season the best players play near there top level on a daily basis.

How have you coped living in Germany?

I would prefer to be living in England that is for sure, but to be the best I can be that is not possible at the moment.

Training

You train with Chuang Chih Yuan and Adrian Crisan. What is like about training with these top players?

Its great playing with these guys, also its great that the both have so different games so I can train with different top players.

What do you practice the most? What aspect is most important in the game table tennis?

I feel the most important is the first 5 balls making sure there strong and put you in a good position the win the point.

Do you train on the mental aspects of your game. Do you find this side of the game is just as important as the technical parts?

Yes the mental side of the game is very important, however I feel the most important part is to not over think things.

Legislate – If you don’t have much coaching, do you motivate yourself. Can you still be a good player without a coach?

You can be a good player without a coach, I think it is more difficult and it will maybe take more time but you can do it!

Do you practice a lot using the practice multi ball/mini balls. How important is this type of practice for a professional player?

Me personally I love using multiball practice it speeds me up and also you can work on technique with multiball.

Check out Paul Drinkhall doing multi ball practice

China’s dominance

GECA asks: What's your view on the Chinese dominance at the moment, Why are the Chinese players so good do you believe?

The Chinese players are so good because of work rate, from such a young age they are training much harder than the rest of the world, of course it helps that they have a lot more players to work with but the main reason is the work rate. Also the amount of good coaches that stay involved after being top players is high.

You recently played Ma Long at the World Cup in Liverpool, England. What were your thoughts about this match?

Ye he was like a machine, but I felt when I played my best game then I was challenging him it was just hard to do it for a long time, I will get there tho! :)

Over at TableTennisDaily we are fond of the Elite Chinese and Timo Boll (The players in the top 10 of the world). When you play against these player’s what is it they do that’s different to other players. How are they the best?

I feel they are the best because they can play there best table tennis when they need to and more often.

drinkhallinterview4.jpg

Drinkhall against Wang Hao at the Pro Tour Grand Finals - Photo by: ETTA

Matches

Joelstar asks: What warm ups do you do before a game to get you ready to compete?

Basic movements then onto a few irregular and serve receive,

Gauravvrak – Wants your mind strategy when you are 2-0 down. What do you think to have the belief to get back into the match?

I just believe in my game, I know if I can play my game and put pressure on my opponent then I can win no matter what the score is.

Atomichaos – Do you ever give up a match when your loosing?

NO

Do you watch yourself on youtube?

Yes I watch myself and others. I find youtube is a great tool to use to improve your game.

Do you believe world class players are born with natural talent and that nature guided them to success, or do you believe it's ones surrounding that nurtured the player?

I feel talent can help but at the end of the day it is work rate that makes players.

Off the topic questions

Who’s your favorite sportsman of all time?

I love roger federer and also Paul Scholes.

Favorite film?

There are to many, I love Felon, man on fire, inside man, usual suspects and many more....

What car do you drive?

Audi A4

What’s your favorite music?

Eminem

What do you do in your spare time other then table tennis?

Spend time with family and friends and my little dog Millie.

Do you eat well or eat junk good?

I try to eat healthy but everyone needs a takeaway now and then!

PS3 or XBOX 360?

Ps3

Have you browsed the website TableTennisDaily.co.uk before?

Yes, great for table tennis fans!

What is your motto in training?

Play to win (rather than playing not to loose)

And Lastly...

And lastly, thanks very much for your kindness in taking part in this interview for all the members of the TableTennisDaily forum to learn and know more about the life of a professional player Paul Drinkhall.

Would you like to add one last tip, or an inspirational message to us all?

Good luck to you all and I hope you enjoyed reading my answers!

Good luck in your next competition Paul!

Thanks!

TableTennisDaily Staff and forum

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
I reckon paul will be well into the top 100 in not to long. He was injured but before that he was actually at his highest point. his game is probably improving well. finally england can have 2 players in the top 100 soon.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I reckon paul will be well into the top 100 in not to long. He was injured but before that he was actually at his highest point. his game is probably improving well. finally england can have 2 players in the top 100 soon.

Yeah I agree, I spoke with Paul the other day and he said he feels much better now. Hopefully he gets back to full recovery and him and Liam can start doing very well together in the world events. I would love to see the profile of table tennis rise in the UK and I believe these two players can help make this happen :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
yer well paul drinkhall got me into table tennis. in 2012 i saw him on tv, got fascinated by table tennis (i was already going to go to a table tennis event), then i checked for a local club, found fusion and it was great. had he not got that injury he would probably be in the same position as liam pitchford. watch out for darius knight though, a new career high of 310:D. seriously though wat happened with darius knight, i thought he was going to be atleast top 200.