is luck needed to make it to the top of tt? and do you make your own luck?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
to become an elite athlete in TT is "lucky breaks" needed like bieng spotted at a young age, invited to best training camps, family having enough money to support you, having the right people around you. or is it that if you are good enough and work hard enough then you make your own luck and things will work out for you?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I would say that in most professional matter, skill and caution are number 1 and 2. Luck helps, both for and against you. Relying on luck is like well, we can use a lot of colorful comparisons, can't we? Imagine walking tightrope across the niagra falls without a safety line or a balance pole. You might be skilled in tightrope walking, but you sure threw caution out the window and are relying on luck that a wind will not blow you off the tightrope to freefall to your demise. That is one colorful example of relying on luck and not using caution effectively.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Luck is not the right word, unless you want to use words like affinity etc.
Other things are connections, money, political influences.

In the real world, you do need more than just skills and hard work, so yes to your "luck" question, but luck isn't the right word for it.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
This is an interesting question. I'm not to sure if their is such thing as luck or whatever but circumstances will change the course of your path. I read a quote once which said, 'you become your surroundings'. I think if your in an environment that has a lot of the factors mentioned in other threads to create a professional player you have a higher chance of succeeding. For example, I know some players who want to be great at table tennis so bad but they just don't simply have the practice partners to practice with or the coaches. Perhaps they could move somewhere which does... whereas on the other hand, some players live right on the door step to an amazing table tennis club with great facilities and coaches.

It's a tough one :D