Is Fan Zhendong really 16?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
yeah i was thinking the same. just look at how well defined his legs are, pretty impressive for a 16 year old.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I have spoke to my friend Yi Ming who trains with Fan Zhendong in the Bayi team and he said FZD is 16 or 17 but definitely not over 17. My friend grew up with Fan Zhendong they are in the same age category. TTD member @Tom was lucky enough to meet the mighty Fan Zhendong when he went to a training camp with Yi Ming in China :)

969110_10151791157762668_1584564562_n.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thanks for the photo and clarity from your side Dan.

Some how, when ever a young Chinese playere does well, people start playing the age card.
I saw one 17 year old player last year from South Africa, I thought he was 20 something, but no one made any silly remarks or use age card
But now, some young Chinese is playing well, then hmm.. he must be older than he is

I think same people with age card will want to have a weight classfication too, xxKG event, and the "built" FZD isn't allowed to play with other 16 years old....lol

Reactions: Dan and Raptor
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
What's the reason for FZD to hide his age?
I understand that in the case if you wanted to join Olympic, you need to be like over 16... but that's about "fakingly-increasing" your age.
And you guys are talking about FZD "fakingly-decreasing" his age?

There is no reason for him to hide his age.
Just some random people starting something from nothing.

In the past, it is more common that certain rural areas have problems registering birth certificates, hence the legal birth date and real birth date may have small differences.
China is huge, so a lot of people thinking of foul play, really are short sited and should try and stand in Chinese officials shoes to see how difficult is it to manage such a great mass of land with nearly 50 miillion people in each of the provinces.

There was also something about under age gymanstics that increased they age to 16 for the olympics, as well as some basketball players to decrease they age to play juniors.

But in TT, this age thing is already something in the past. There is no reason for CNT to do such a thing.
If any was done, it is simply administration issues than oppose to foul play. IE Xu Xin, I have seen he has 2 birth dates - about 4 months apart.... But now he is using his legal age, while before (2005 U17 national champs) on TV they gave another date which is likely is true birth date. I don't see any foul play in that.

And to add, this is an opens event, not some age restriction event

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
截图00.jpgFZD in 2010, the picture captured from a news video showing their hotel meeting for the CSL final of Shandong and Bayi team in 2010.

says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
Feb 2013
View attachment 5000FZD in 2010, the picture captured from a news video showing their hotel meeting for the CSL final of Shandong and Bayi team in 2010.

View attachment 5001 in 2011, from Zhou Yu's weibo.

It's so clear, he is 16 years old, he is a miracle, why is it so hard for people to understand? He is extremely gifted from nature, and he has all predispositions to be a table tennis champion. So stop complaining about this, he will maybe be the most successful playern in TT history, or maybe there will not be anything from him later, if he gets annoyed by TT, who knows. We will see everything.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
hmm it really seems that he is 16 years old, just watched a video about him and his voice seemed pretty young. wow!