Fan Zhendong equipment

says Not for sale, I liked it actually
says Not for sale, I liked it actually
May 2018
Oh my god. The mod gotta lock threads that's over a year old. Reviving a thread half a decade ago is not cool.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oh my god. The mod gotta lock threads that's over a year old. Reviving a thread half a decade ago is not cool.

There are times when necromancy is useful.

I don’t see that here. I might feel Ansen Chan’s Post should be in a totally different thread. Perhaps one of his own making. But I don’t see harm in this.

So I am not locking the thread even if I think certain things may be a waste of time.

And I am actually glad that Ansen is not actually making comments or claims about the actual subject of the thread. Because that is an even bigger waste of time than what he did comment on. Hahahaha.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
In that last picture, is that a composite layer or dark wood? To me it looks like a composite but I am not absolutely certain of it.

I don't know for sure. But the handle looks like Infinity VPS. Infinity VPS also has 2 thicker dark plies of spruce under the thin white top plies. I own an Infinity VPS, so I know the composition pretty well. Just by looking at the side of the blade in the picture above, it looks like an Infinity VPS.

Also, judging from FZD's shot's characteristics, it's likely he's using an allwood blade. Surely, many have seen FZD pull off crazy arcing shots from blow the net height with super wide angle and still landing the shot relatively close to the net on opponent's side of the table. He has also looped balls below the table with incredible arcs and speed. These feats can only be done with an allwood blade that has some flex. With a rigid composite blade, the shots will not arc like that, even if FZD is using tacky H3.

Remember when FZD switched to a composite blade in Swedish Open 2017? Many of his shots went long. And he wasn't able to produce any high arcing shots. He ultimately lost to Xu Xin in the final. He came back to the 2017 Grand Final with Infinity VPS and played as he always did. He beat Ovtcharov 4-0 in the final.

All of this is just my speculation. We know FZD tried out new equipment towards the end of 2017. It didn't work out, so he went back to his old equipment after the Swedish Open and he's been using the same blade since then. But I can be 100% certain that his equipment is Infinity VPS or Viscaria with Infinity handle. I just though that it's more likely to be some allwood blade, based on his shots and playstyle.

Stiff composite blades are generally better at borrowing opponent's power (better for blocking), like Mizutani Jun or Lin Gaoyuan's playstyle (LGY actually uses a Viscaria). Whereas FZD puts power behind every shot, whether it active attacking shots or passive shots. This type of playstyle is more suitable for allwood.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
I don't know for sure. But the handle looks like Infinity VPS. Infinity VPS also has 2 thicker dark plies of spruce under the thin white top plies. I own an Infinity VPS, so I know the composition pretty well. Just by looking at the side of the blade in the picture above, it looks like an Infinity VPS.

Also, judging from FZD's shot's characteristics, it's likely he's using an allwood blade. Surely, many have seen FZD pull off crazy arcing shots from blow the net height with super wide angle and still landing the shot relatively close to the net on opponent's side of the table. He has also looped balls below the table with incredible arcs and speed. These feats can only be done with an allwood blade that has some flex. With a rigid composite blade, the shots will not arc like that, even if FZD is using tacky H3.

Remember when FZD switched to a composite blade in Swedish Open 2017? Many of his shots went long. And he wasn't able to produce any high arcing shots. He ultimately lost to Xu Xin in the final. He came back to the 2017 Grand Final with Infinity VPS and played as he always did. He beat Ovtcharov 4-0 in the final.

All of this is just my speculation. We know FZD tried out new equipment towards the end of 2017. It didn't work out, so he went back to his old equipment after the Swedish Open and he's been using the same blade since then. But I can be 100% certain that his equipment is Infinity VPS or Viscaria with Infinity handle. I just though that it's more likely to be some allwood blade, based on his shots and playstyle.

Stiff composite blades are generally better at borrowing opponent's power (better for blocking), like Mizutani Jun or Lin Gaoyuan's playstyle (LGY actually uses a Viscaria). Whereas FZD puts power behind every shot, whether it active attacking shots or passive shots. This type of playstyle is more suitable for allwood.

you overestimate equipment and you underestimate technique.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Also, judging from FZD's shot's characteristics, it's likely he's using an allwood blade.....

Oh no. This has been shown and proven. Unless you have new photos that show something different FZD's blades have been 7 ply composite blades for his whole career. hahahaha. This is too funny that some joker woke this thread up asking about blade choices and now another joker is back on questioning what FZD is using.

Look at the photo:

View attachment 14218

Here you can clearly see the carbon layers on Fzd's blade.

That is 7 plies and clearly a composite ply. There is no way that is a 5 ply blade with a thick spruce layer. If you cannot see 7 plies, then just enlarge the photo. They are all there and quite clear.

The handle is Infinity for his sponsor and the blade is Viscaria which he has been using since he is 11 years old or maybe even younger. Unless there is new info this is what FZD has been using his whole career.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Why is Stiga doing this

It is a good question. And the answer is probably: MONEY.

It is kind of disreputable. I mean, I think Stiga also says that FZD uses their rubbers. I don't think anyone has gotten fooled by that though. :)

This user has no status.
It is a good question. And the answer is probably: MONEY.

It is kind of disreputable. I mean, I think Stiga also says that FZD uses their rubbers. I don't think anyone has gotten fooled by that though. :)

If he would at least use a Carbonado handle to boost their sales, i rather could understand and think of it: "oh, that makes sense..."
but why infinity???

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If he would at least use a Carbonado handle to boost their sales, i rather could understand and think of it: "oh, that makes sense..."
but why infinity???

I honestly can't understand it at all. He does not use any Stiga equipment at all: I think the shoes are Mizuno. I think the clothing is Li Ning. The wood is Butterfly. The FH rubber is DHS. The BH rubber is Butterfly. Only that handle is from Stiga.

In a real way, it doesn't make any sense. But there are lots of TT players who do this. Weird. Sad. Not great for the fans. But it is how things are. For years Wang Liqin was using a Stiga Clipper with a DHS Hurricane King handle. Ovtcharov at one point had tape the color of wood all the way around the edges of his blade so people could not tell what he was using. He is sponsored by Donic and Donic has claimed he uses their rubbers. But I think he uses Tenergy still. There are too many players to mention who are doing things like this.

This user has no status.
I honestly can't understand it at all. He does not use any Stiga equipment at all: I think the shoes are Mizuno. I think the clothing is Li Ning. The wood is Butterfly. The FH rubber is DHS. The BH rubber is Butterfly. Only that handle is from Stiga.

In a real way, it doesn't make any sense. But there are lots of TT players who do this. Weird. Sad. Not great for the fans. But it is how things are. For years Wang Liqin was using a Stiga Clipper with a DHS Hurricane King handle. Ovtcharov at one point had tape the color of wood all the way around the edges of his blade so people could not tell what he was using. He is sponsored by Donic and Donic has claimed he uses their rubbers. But I think he uses Tenergy still. There are too many players to mention who are doing things like this.

I think it’s because usually Chinese players use all wood blade for more control, almost every player from last generation of Chinese use wood blades

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think it’s because usually Chinese players use all wood blade for more control, almost every player from last generation of Chinese use wood blades

This is outdated info. Ma Lin, Wang Hao and Wang Liqin used all wood blades.

Ma Long uses an ALC blade. ZJK, FZD, Lin Gouyan, Yan An, Fang Bo, they all use some kind of ALC blade.

Does XX still use an all wood blade or has he switched to ALC also?

So the old trend inside CNT has changed. In fact, most top pros 15-20 years ago (80%) used all wood. Today about 85-90% of players use some form of composite blade.

The changes that may have lead to this:

1) 40mm Ball
2) 40+ Poly Ball

By slowing the game down, it made it more advantageous to use slightly faster equipment. And those ALC blades are not really that fast and if your technique is good, you can get massive spin with them.

Think of how much spin ZJK got with a Viscaria. And think of how similar certain aspects of ZJK’s game was to FZD’s. But ZJK got a lot more spin. And he definitely used a Viscaria. Right?

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
This is outdated info. Ma Lin, Wang Hao and Wang Liqin used all wood blades.

Ma Long uses an ALC blade. ZJK, FZD, Lin Gouyan, Yan An, Fang Bo, they all use some kind of ALC blade.

Does XX still use an all wood blade or has he switched to ALC also?

So the old trend inside CNT has changed. In fact, most top pros 15-20 years ago (80%) used all wood. Today about 85-90% of players use some form of composite blade.

The changes that may have lead to this:

1) 40mm Ball
2) 40+ Poly Ball

By slowing the game down, it made it more advantageous to use slightly faster equipment. And those ALC blades are not really that fast and if your technique is good, you can get massive spin with them.

Think of how much spin ZJK got with a Viscaria. And think of how similar certain aspects of ZJK’s game was to FZD’s. But ZJK got a lot more spin. And he definitely used a Viscaria. Right?

I’m pretty sure xx still uses intensity nct and I find it hard to use carbon and tenergy (I tried t05 and boll Alc on my friends blade) this is why I want wood blades would h3 neo be too slow on infinity vps v because map is a little fast

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk