Chinese players tactics: Switch the blade side when SMASH

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Chinese rubber for the chinese players (FH) focus more on spin, hence they use DHS hard sponge rubbers.
While BH rubber (Tenergy or other Tensor/softer sponge to FH rubber) is more for speed and more catapult effect.

In a smash vs lob instance, spin is no longer necessary, but rather speed/catapult effect.
The moment the oponent re topspins, you can see they twiddle again and use "spin" rubber to counter

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Chinese rubber for the chinese players (FH) focus more on spin, hence they use DHS hard sponge rubbers.
While BH rubber (Tenergy or other Tensor/softer sponge to FH rubber) is more for speed and more catapult effect.

In a smash vs lob instance, spin is no longer necessary, but rather speed/catapult effect.
The moment the oponent re topspins, you can see they twiddle again and use "spin" rubber to counter
Your post is just complete:D

Reactions: wischegg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
nice video :D
but it seems u r not familiar with chinese rubbers...
its not a 'trick'..i play and played with the 2 rubbers all top players use - dhs skyline3 and/or hurricane 3 (blue sponge) just ma lin used 2 still play with skyline2...
rubbers r super hard and lots of spin...but they have no bounce..if u watch chinese players drop the ball before serving on the vh rubber u will notice that it doesnt bounce back like other rubbers...
thats the reason y they switch when smashing,coz most of them play either tenergy 64 or 05 on their bh which has a much better acceleration and bounce,simple as that... ;-)

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
the only one that does not is Wang Liqin, too much power , i think?
No one have too much power in table tennis. More power is always better even if he still have enough power. I think his grip doesn't allow him to twiddle fast enough or maybe his backhand rubber is not so faster than his forehand rubber.

This user has no status.

Hi. I thought softer sponge rubbers generate more spin than hard sponge ones because softness allows the ball to contact the rubber longer and hence it can be 'rubbed' more and more spin?

says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
Feb 2013
Hi. I thought softer sponge rubbers generate more spin than hard sponge ones because softness allows the ball to contact the rubber longer and hence it can be 'rubbed' more and more spin?

It's different sistem of producing spin, chinese rubber produce it with tacky topsheet which grabs ball and gives spin to it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
My personal opinion: it is from some similar Coaches, not determined by rubbers or blades. For Playing Style is from Practice habbites.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
do chinese penhold players also twiddle when they smash? haha.
Ma Lin will change to shakehand grip when smashing high balls with BH rubber. Players like Yoshida Kaii and Wang Zengyi will also do the same. And WLQ use DHS H3 front and back on Stiga OC CR non WRB. So he has no need to twiddle, at least for recent years.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Ma Lin will change to shakehand grip when smashing high balls with BH rubber. Players like Yoshida Kaii and Wang Zengyi will also do the same. And WLQ use DHS H3 front and back on Stiga OC CR non WRB. So he has no need to twiddle, at least for recent years.
thanks dude

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
When WLQ was playing with Hammond, Nodias, Hammond Pro, T64, he still didn't twiddle. He rarely missed those high lobs, though. Perhaps in his eyes, twiddling is only for sissies.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews

Not so simple. It depends on the ball you play.
Hard Chinese rubbers are excellent when you can really capitalize on their hardness. You can do that pretty much only when the ball is coming to you already loaded with energy. Then, with the combined energy of your opponent AND your own, only then do you really capitalize on it. This is also why hard Chinese rubbers are the best at short play - because with little energy on the ball, your touch return will also have very little energy.

Lobbed balls have very little energy. No spin and slow speed. So a hard chinese rubber is not appropriate for smashing them. You can smash with them, but at the highest levels you want a LOT of energy on the smashed ball. So then a softer sponge that can fast catapult even a low energy ball is better for smashing.

Last edited: