Ask Liam Pitchford a question!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Hi Liam, Is there a differenceyou notced between the british play style and the german? And what do you like abou Germany? Gonne ask for an autograph whn your playng against Grenzau next time ;) . Wish you all the best!

I don't know whether there is a difference in style but in Germany the training is much more intense and with much more top players, that's why I made the choice to go and live there. Thanks, see you next time!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Hi Liam! I really like your technique! I wonder, how do you do to make your body stabelized before and in every shots? Seems like you are using your left hand/arm in a very similar way as many of the chinese do, is there something you are aware of? If so, how is you getting the left hand/arm involved, by tensing the fingers or forearm, or upperarm, or a combination, or something else? What is the best tips you have got from a trainer that has improved your game the most?

Many Thanks!

Thanks :) I'm not really aware of it but I guess having a Chinese coach may have had something to do with it..I think the main thing that has helped me recently is that my coach told me to be totally relaxed until the moment I hit the ball..it has helped me generate more power on my strokes.

Reactions: Choosikick and Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Woah, bist du auch Rhinelaender?

Hello Liam, thank you for joining the site, its great to have people with your skill and knowledge join.

What do you think the weaknesses in your game are, and what elements of your game are you trying to improve?

No problem, it's good to be here and give something back to the tt fans!
i don't really want to discuss my weaknesses haha
I'm always trying to improve every part of my game, some things more than others but I don't think any part can ever be perfect so I need to keep improving!

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Haha thanks! :) we generally practice table tennis two times per day, morning and afternoon/evening for about 2 and a half hours. I try to do weights 2-3 times a week depending on match schedule..
thanx. i figured if i just work on my backhand, forehand, pushing, serve, serve return, fitness and mental ability... i will be as good as you;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Hi Liam, I'm very impressed by your performance in German Open, beating four quality Asian players in a row. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind:

1. What or who brought you to table tennis?
2. Do you have a specific goal in 2014? Such as breaking into World Ranking 30?
3. Who is your favorite player?
4. Is there a particular top Chinese player you would like to meet in a game?

Thank you for sharing your precious time with us! Looking forward to seeing more of you in future competitions!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Hey Liam,
i saw your matches vs Wang Hao and Xu Xin and i was wondering does the ball really has more spin on their forehands? Because the Chinese players are all playing sticky rubbers on their forehand which prouduce more spin. Did you really feel the difference on the spin or is it as spinny as your forehand?

I wouldn't say there is more spin than European players but I think because of the speed and the quality in every ball it can seem that way.

Reactions: Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Hi Liam, I'm very impressed by your performance in German Open, beating four quality Asian players in a row. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind:

1. What or who brought you to table tennis?
2. Do you have a specific goal in 2014? Such as breaking into World Ranking 30?
3. Who is your favorite player?
4. Is there a particular top Chinese player you would like to meet in a game?

Thank you for sharing your precious time with us! Looking forward to seeing more of you in future competitions!

1. I started when I was at school with some friends just as something to pass the time
2. It would be nice to be ranked in the top 30 and higher but this season I am just focused on working on every aspect of my game and then I hope the results will come.
3. When I was young and even now I love to watch Samsonov play.
4. I wouldn't say there is a particular one, it is just good to get the experience of playing any of them really.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Hi Liam great to see you in this forum!
One question: What do you, as a professional player, think of Fan Zhendong?
Thx in advance :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Hi Liam

i am half Chinese half British. It is nice to see your recent improvement. I think you have the talent and potential to be a great player. I have 2 questions:
1. Would you consider train in china and maybe join their national league.
2. Do you have plan for 2016 Olympics? Maybe win a medal for the uk:)

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hi Liam,

Thanks for joining and taking time to answer the questions raised by fellow members.

As a player, every individual has his own style and stance. This is built over time and is kind of a subconscious part of our game. However, I want to know that how do good players try and integrate a new shot into their game. For example, if some player is developing his backhand so firstly he would try and hit as many backhands as possible in practice to get consistency.

But let's say, so far in game he would only push or block and not topspin from his backhand. His stance over the years also has become adopted to pushing and blocking on BH side. However, if he now tries to topspin from BH side, the major problem is his stance which spoils the shot. This also makes an individual be out of position or rush into the stroke. I think this happens with everyone. Since due this reason only advance shots feel a bit uncomfortable to start with.

So, what do top players do to adopt and how do they integrate these kind of shots to develop their attack even more? :)

Sorry for such a big write up. I just wanted to explain as much as possible.

Thank you and all the best.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Hi Liam, I am really happy that a player of your qualities and such a world known person joined our forum.

i use Korbel blade with Tenergy 05 both sides
My question is - those rubbers, those are not normal Tenergy 05 we can buy, are they?
I heared you get rubbers from sponsors, probably Butterfly, but those are better than normal, is that correct?
Or you just dont care?
How long does one rubber last you?
For matches - do you use always a brand new one?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Hi Liam mi name is jorge ans I´m a chilean psychology student. I etner this forum for a reason, I hope that you can help me. I need to do a homework for sports psychology, it is about the decisions involved in the servoce´s receptions.

All I need to know is the fallowing information.
-How do you receive? specifically what are the stimuli that you put your focus on,? Please be the most
specific as you can.

Sorry for my english and congratulations for your victories this year. :)
Thanls !!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Hi Liam,

We are all supporting you to win the competition :) . I am sure my fellow members will also vote for you and soon we will see you lead the voting from your current third place.
I have a few questions in general about table tennis and about some of the players you have played. I figured you would be best person to answer since you would have played them man-o-man-o :) .

1. How important do you think it is to have a coach during match play ? I have seen some of the top players like Samsonov play without coaches recently and do pretty well.
2. You have played Samsonov . What do you think makes him so special that he has been able to retain the high level and compete with the best till now.
3. A lot of us think that Fan Zhendong and Zhang Jike have very similar backhand techniques ? Is it true ?
and lastly , 4. Do you plan to play table tennis for a long duration or you plan to retire early like the Chinese players and take up an alternate career in your mid thirties ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Hi Liam

i am half Chinese half British. It is nice to see your recent improvement. I think you have the talent and potential to be a great player. I have 2 questions:
1. Would you consider train in china and maybe join their national league.
2. Do you have plan for 2016 Olympics? Maybe win a medal for the uk:)

1. Yes I think it is good to go to china for training at some points, we usually go around June time after the European season is finished...I would love to have the opportunity to play in their league for sure, it would be a great experience!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Hi Liam,

Thanks for joining and taking time to answer the questions raised by fellow members.

As a player, every individual has his own style and stance. This is built over time and is kind of a subconscious part of our game. However, I want to know that how do good players try and integrate a new shot into their game. For example, if some player is developing his backhand so firstly he would try and hit as many backhands as possible in practice to get consistency.

But let's say, so far in game he would only push or block and not topspin from his backhand. His stance over the years also has become adopted to pushing and blocking on BH side. However, if he now tries to topspin from BH side, the major problem is his stance which spoils the shot. This also makes an individual be out of position or rush into the stroke. I think this happens with everyone. Since due this reason only advance shots feel a bit uncomfortable to start with.

So, what do top players do to adopt and how do they integrate these kind of shots to develop their attack even more? :)

Sorry for such a big write up. I just wanted to explain as much as possible.

Thank you and all the best.

I know how hard it can be to put what you do in practice to a match situation but you just need to be confident and believe in the shot and it will come with time.
if I'm not happy with something in my game I like to work on it by doing multiball...I guess a lot of the other players are the same.

Reactions: Choosikick