Fan Zhendong's Technique Analysis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
In my opinion he plays very risky, he always try to push hard with maximum power and the placement is perfect. That is why he looses so many points with much weaker opponents.

I won't say that is the reason why he looses so many points to weaker opponents.
FZD is still young, doesn't have too much match experience (only 1 year on world tour).
He still need to get used to many different styles and opponent and vice versa - the opponents will get used to him (with video study etc).

High risk = High return. He sure isn't a blocker.
FZD proactively starts all attacks, and he is good enough to be consistent and fininsh the rallies.
The scary thing about FZD is that he can start and compete in rallies from both FH and BH, and his speed and coverage (footwork) is incredibly smooth too.
He possess both European and Chinese style (strokes).

Will be interesting to see how the next 2 to 4 years turn out for him and how he copes with opponents figuring him out.
Table Tennis is all about developing and improving. I'm sure there is still a lot of FZD for us to see, as well as a more improved one.

Reactions: SirSpinsalot
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yes you've got the point. But check his last match with Yan An, he did so many unnecessary high risk strokes even when he does not have to. All his style is to play hard and fast, even in the crucial points like 9:10. Surely it is connected with his age, but not only.

Yes, you can say he did many unnecessary high risk stroke, but this is his style - so this can be debatable if he was to use a more control strok, as he may still loose the point too.
You also can't tell a player - when it is crucial to play a different style, a style that is not theirs.

Regarding Yan An final, FZD had a busy month. A busy day before and a busy QF and SF.
Yan An defiantly had more energy going into the game compared to FZD.
Games since R64:
FZD: 6+5+6+7+7=31
YA: 4+5+4+5+4=22

I guess if YA and FZD swop positions, the final will defiantly be different.
But now FZD got his world ranking, the seedings will defiantly be different in the future.
And i'm sure the CNT coaches are working with the flaws that was picked up in the few world tours that he also perform outstandingly.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
I don't know about you guys, but Fan Zhedong's technique, remind me a lot Wang Hao's thechnique more so in the backhand. regardless the fact that Fan Zhedong is shakehand and Wang Hao is a penholder.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yeah, only 16 and have the best minds working behind the scene to make him stronger.

Yeah, FZD has a solid BH game, that is why you will compare him to the likes of Wang Hao.
But with FZD, his FH + BH is equally strong. A clone of ZJK, but I would say, more solid, and more stronger.

If this is the trend, I guess the next world Top 5 player will be a 14 year old from China.
Who said Made in China stuff is not good lol

Reactions: tan.theveteran
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
He plays very aggressively and very wild.
He always tries to backhand flick serves, which even Ma Long said was a risky thing to do.

He will even loop/smash in situations were most other players would block.

Even though is is this young, hes very good at his play style. He has so much control even when hitting very risky shots. The most terrifying thing is that is that he will only get better and more consistent at hitting those shots.

If he keeps going, he will change the way the game is played.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
He plays very aggressively and very wild.
He always tries to backhand flick serves, which even Ma Long said was a risky thing to do.

He will even loop/smash in situations were most other players would block.

Even though is is this young, hes very good at his play style. He has so much control even when hitting very risky shots. The most terrifying thing is that is that he will only get better and more consistent at hitting those shots.

If he keeps going, he will change the way the game is played.

Yeah, indeed a risky thing to do.
And I so agree - he will change the way the game is played.

Just like in the days of chop chop chop chop chop. When the player started to top spin, the same was said:
Risky thing to do - will change the way the game is played.

Thats table tennis, always keep upgrading and improving the way we play.

I personally believe FZD is trained based on the new ball.
Maybe this is the style to handle the new ball (when ever this new ball will finally be launch)

Last edited:
Reactions: Burns
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Yeah, indeed a risky thing to do.
And I so agree - he will change the way the game is played.

Just like in the days of chop chop chop chop chop. When the player started to top spin, the same was said:
Risky thing to do - will change the way the game is played.

Thats table tennis, always keep upgrading and improving the way we play.

I personally believe FZD is trained based on the new ball.
Maybe this is the style to handle the new ball (when ever this new ball will finally be launch)

If only he were a penhold player.
Could you imagine. All the youth in China would want to play penhold again. The coaches would start teaching it, and penhold would live! =D

He would probably be able to have more powerful flicks too, being that he would get more wrist rotation in.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
If only he were a penhold player.
Could you imagine. All the youth in China would want to play penhold again. The coaches would start teaching it, and penhold would live! =D

He would probably be able to have more powerful flicks too, being that he would get more wrist rotation in.

Speaking about that, yeah, his style, aggression, footwork, speed will work very well with Cpen indeed.

But I guess, he was trained to copy ZJK, just a version 2 - much improved version lol.
But he is still young, give him a few more years. Also give all the opponent a few more years.
Lets see if FZD can make Rio 2016 - a 19 year old knocking out one of ZJK, ML, XX for the 1 of 2 spot.
I think that will be a great achievement.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Speaking about that, yeah, his style, aggression, footwork, speed will work very well with Cpen indeed.

But I guess, he was trained to copy ZJK, just a version 2 - much improved version lol.
But he is still young, give him a few more years. Also give all the opponent a few more years.
Lets see if FZD can make Rio 2016 - a 19 year old knocking out one of ZJK, ML, XX for the 1 of 2 spot.
I think that will be a great achievement.

Style wise I think Xu Xin, even though FZD beat him in the Swedish open, has the best style against him.

Since XX plays the least aggressive and the farthest back from the table. FZD seems to play very well vs players who play fast and close to the table, like ML and ZJK.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
but FZD has better results vs XX than vs ML, no?

Im not sure overall.

FZD beat XX in the Swedish open semis

and FZD lost to ML twice in the 2013 china trials

but I was just speculating on future games with FZDs style compared to the others.

Because at this point all 3 players can beat FZD with just experience alone.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Style wise I think Xu Xin, even though FZD beat him in the Swedish open, has the best style against him.

Since XX plays the least aggressive and the farthest back from the table. FZD seems to play very well vs players who play fast and close to the table, like ML and ZJK.

I don't agree with you. At the moment Xu Xin has the biggest flaw of them all in terms of style.
The only reason why he is ranked so high is because of the zero participation of other players.

Most will say ML and ZJK are likely to go to Rio 2016.
I do believe XX is a candidate.
The likes of FZD, ZY and YA can't be written off though.

I think any 2 of the 6 that goes has a chance to win Gold

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
but FZD has better results vs XX than vs ML, no?
Fan Zhendong has never won against Ma Long before but he has won against Xu Xin in semi-final of Swedish Open and China National Games.
And i think the chance of being in the Olympic singles lineup in equal for Ma Long, Zhang Jike, Xu Xin and Fan Zhendong. I want to wait for the China trails for 2014 WTTTC and see the results and the think about Olympic Games.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013

XX's technique is an art. its a shame that penholders are about to be extinct. :(