Backhand topsin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I'm an beginner-intermediate player and I have some trouble with my backhand. I use the shakehand grip and I noticed that while I do my backhand loop/drive, my index that is on my backhand side raises. I would just like to know if this is normal, if it doesn't matter or if I should try to modify this.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I use my spinny backhand like Tony describes. I use pressure with only the thumb and first finger. The rest of the fingers are loose. It is important to have arm/wrist be very relaxed before impact, or the shot will not be very spinny or have any control. Korean coaches never teach the BH this way, their idea of a backhand is to firm everywhere and stable and use BH more for punching and hitting, which requires some stiffness and planting. My ideas are totally backwards to them for the BH.

If you look at who is credited with one of the best BH in TT, Kreanga for Greece... you will see his THUMB go upwards in middle, instead of being on the side. This is to allow better use of the wrist. You must change grips to be able to do this and many pundit coaches advise AGAINST changing grips, at least until they are a top player or on the way to it. The Krenaga vid on the internet shows a LOT more nuggets about a good BH, but the number one thing is being in position, and numbers 2 and onward are impacting the ball in your proper hitting zone, the rest is easy stuff.

Last edited: