Ask Daniel Zwickl a question!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Hi everyone,

Daniel Zwickl is our latest addition to the Verified Pro Account and has signed up to the TableTennisDaily website and is willing to answer your questions! Daniel is a professional player who represented Hungary at the London 2012 Olympics. He is currently at Ochsenhausen and is world ranked at 150!

danzwicklttd.jpg

Daniel Zwickl at the London 2012 Olympics - Photo by: olimpia.origo.hu

Daniel Zwickl (@Daniel Zwickl) is registered to the site, any questions you would like to ask him, just fire away by posting below and he will do his best to get back to you

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hey Daniel, nice to see you post at TTD. You have seen me post to a few of your FB posts with Ryu as William. I learned Korean as an adult and know how rough it is to get to near native proficiency. Your English is near native level with zero usage errors. A sign of your hard work.

What parallel do you see in the commitment and work to achieve pro level TT and near native level in a foreign language?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Hi Daniel,

It's fantastic to have players like yourself here on the site. A lot of us enjoy watching the professional sport and now we have another name to watch out for and cheer on.

It would be interesting to know what drills and exercises you like to do and would recommend to others?
Also how does your training time breakdown between say multiball, single ball, service training, and fitness work ?
Have you ever used specific footwork exercises like skipping ?
Have you practiced with the new ball yet and what do you think about this change and it's impact on the professional sport?

Welcome and wishing you well for 2014.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Hey Daniel, nice to see you post at TTD. You have seen me post to a few of your FB posts with Ryu as William. I learned Korean as an adult and know how rough it is to get to near native proficiency. Your English is near native level with zero usage errors. A sign of your hard work.

What parallel do you see in the commitment and work to achieve pro level TT and near native level in a foreign language?

Thanks very much for your compliment Der_Echte. I believe that determination to do a good work in something is the major factor to succeed. If you are motivated you cannot reach plenty of things in life, this applies to professional table tennis and to learn foreign language as well. However my English is not near native but I try my best all the time. To add to my English I have to admit that I did my Masters at Leeds Metropolitan University where I spent a fantastic year studying MA Sport Business.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Hi Daniel. What's it like training at Ochsenhausen? Can you give us in insight? Do you and the team practice every day? Is Ryu Seung Min training there full time with the team?

Training is hard in Ochsenhausen and I think everywhere at the professional level its like this. The group conducts TTF team, the Liebherr Masters College players, some sparring partners and our guests. They practice every day 2-times, from 9:30 till 12:00 and from 16:00 till 19:00 while there is 3-times a week service practice from 8:45. Training includes also physical preparation with our 2 coaches, Mika from France and Michi from Germany. Practices varies for the guys depending on their individual and teams' programmes. They have loads of matches and competitions including a lot of travelling so we need to very clever when it comes to their sessions. We monitor them closely and we work closely with the coaches to make the best programme for them. Ryu trains a bit less as he has to take care about is body. He played and trained many years on the top level and reached the border of his body. Our focus is now very much on physical preparation especially for the LMC guys as Europe is far behind Asia in terms of fitness level. All we try to do to is to start as early as we can with hard but clever physical preparation for young players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Hi Daniel,

It's fantastic to have players like yourself here on the site. A lot of us enjoy watching the professional sport and now we have another name to watch out for and cheer on.

It would be interesting to know what drills and exercises you like to do and would recommend to others?
Also how does your training time breakdown between say multiball, single ball, service training, and fitness work ?
Have you ever used specific footwork exercises like skipping ?
Have you practiced with the new ball yet and what do you think about this change and it's impact on the professional sport?

Welcome and wishing you well for 2014.

Oh, there are loads of questions to answer to, it will not be easy but I try.

My personal preparation included all aspects that you mentioned. It has slightly changed as I have a hip injury and I just play part time beside my sport manager job in Ochsenhausen. It is all about realising what a player needs in a certain period. The game is very much physical but this aspect is still underestimated. In young ages the key is that players start loving the game, but then hard work starts. Multi ball practice is a very good way of improving foot work, fitness level and technical things. So multiball practice is key and can be used almost every day! Physical work can vary but important at every level is stomach and back muscles whereas legs, footwork is also crucial. Rule number one is: basic is to move well. For that you need to work a lot, work with different methods including running, skipping etc. In addition power practice is also important. So to sum all these things I can say that table tennis on high level is very complicated and hard sport, requires a lot of time, effort and energy to succeed. On lower level I reckon that if you love it than you can have plenty of joy without suffering too much at practice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Hey Daniel, welcome aboard!
My question is about your equipment; what rubbers/blade do you use and how did you choose those? Do your coaches have a big influence on your choice of equipment?

Thank you Steven. I am sponsored by Stiga, I play with Clipper CR blade and Calibra LT rubbers. I like them, especially the blade as Stiga produce the best blades in the world! When you are young your coach have a big influence on your choice while later on you need to find what you like the most in terms of equipments.

This user has no status.
Hello Daniel,
nice to see you here in TTD. My question:

Have you ever played against the good Chinese players like Zhang Jike, Ma Long or Wang Hao and if yes how is it to play against them? Especially if you compare european style with the "short arm" with the traditional chinese style with much more power and spin, what do you think is the better technique?

Thanks man ;)