says TableTennisDaily Team Ep 2 out
      now!

Administrator Country: England

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 6,087 Times in 1,729 Posts

Ask Daniel Zwickl a question!

Hi everyone,

Daniel Zwickl is our latest addition to the Verified Pro Account and has signed up to the TableTennisDaily website and is willing to answer your questions! Daniel is a professional player who represented Hungary at the London 2012 Olympics. He is currently at Ochsenhausen and is world ranked at 150!

Daniel Zwickl at the London 2012 Olympics - Photo by: olimpia.origo.hu

Daniel Zwickl (@Daniel Zwickl) is registered to the site, any questions you would like to ask him, just fire away by posting below and he will do his best to get back to you

2. Top | #2
      This user has no status.

Verified Pro Player
      TTD Member Country: Hungary
      Equipment:
      Blade Clipper CR
      Forehand Rubber Calibre LT
      Backhand Rubber Calibre LT

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
      Thanks for the warm welcome TableTennisDaily. Feel free to ask me a question I will get back to you all as soon as I can.

3. The Following User Likes Daniel Zwickl's Post:

jedimasterplk (01-04-2014)

4. Top | #3
      says Grand Consultant to the Office
      of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member Country: South Korea
      Equipment:
      Blade Nexy Batos ALC
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar FX-S

Reviews
      Read 27 Reviews
      Liked 9,316 Times in 4,821 Posts
      Hey Daniel, nice to see you post at TTD. You have seen me post to a few of your FB posts with Ryu as William. I learned Korean as an adult and know how rough it is to get to near native proficiency. Your English is near native level with zero usage errors. A sign of your hard work.

What parallel do you see in the commitment and work to achieve pro level TT and near native level in a foreign language?
      President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
      http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
      http://www.nexyusa.com

View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
      http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

5. Top | #4
      says Dima... Amazing...

Master TTD Member Country: England
      Equipment:
      Blade Waldner Carbon
      Forehand Rubber Hurricane 3
      Backhand Rubber Tenergy 05

Reviews
      Read 19 Reviews
      Liked 829 Times in 542 Posts
      Hi Daniel. What's it like training at Ochsenhausen? Can you give us in insight? Do you and the team practice every day? Is Ryu Seung Min training there full time with the team?

6. Top | #5
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: England

Equipment:
      Forehand Rubber Tenergy 05FX
      Backhand Rubber Tenergy 05FX

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 126 Times in 75 Posts
      Hi Daniel,

It's fantastic to have players like yourself here on the site. A lot of us enjoy watching the professional sport and now we have another name to watch out for and cheer on.

It would be interesting to know what drills and exercises you like to do and would recommend to others?
      Also how does your training time breakdown between say multiball, single ball, service training, and fitness work ?
      Have you ever used specific footwork exercises like skipping ?
      Have you practiced with the new ball yet and what do you think about this change and it's impact on the professional sport?

Welcome and wishing you well for 2014.

7. Top | #6
      This user has no status.

Verified Pro Player
      Equipment:
      Blade Clipper CR

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Der_Echte View Post
      Hey Daniel, nice to see you post at TTD. You have seen me post to a few of your FB posts with Ryu as William. I learned Korean as an adult and know how rough it is to get to near native proficiency. Your English is near native level with zero usage errors. A sign of your hard work.

What parallel do you see in the commitment and work to achieve pro level TT and near native level in a foreign language?
      Thanks very much for your compliment Der_Echte. I believe that determination to do a good work in something is the major factor to succeed. If you are motivated you cannot reach plenty of things in life, this applies to professional table tennis and to learn foreign language as well. However my English is not near native but I try my best all the time. To add to my English I have to admit that I did my Masters at Leeds Metropolitan University where I spent a fantastic year studying MA Sport Business.
      Last edited by Daniel Zwickl; 01-05-2014 at 12:21 PM.

8. Top | #7
      This user has no status.

Verified Pro Player
      Equipment:
      Blade Clipper CR

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by TTHopeful View Post
      Hi Daniel. What's it like training at Ochsenhausen? Can you give us in insight? Do you and the team practice every day? Is Ryu Seung Min training there full time with the team?
      Training is hard in Ochsenhausen and I think everywhere at the professional level its like this. The group conducts TTF team, the Liebherr Masters College players, some sparring partners and our guests. They practice every day 2-times, from 9:30 till 12:00 and from 16:00 till 19:00 while there is 3-times a week service practice from 8:45. Training includes also physical preparation with our 2 coaches, Mika from France and Michi from Germany. Practices varies for the guys depending on their individual and teams' programmes. They have loads of matches and competitions including a lot of travelling so we need to very clever when it comes to their sessions. We monitor them closely and we work closely with the coaches to make the best programme for them. Ryu trains a bit less as he has to take care about is body. He played and trained many years on the top level and reached the border of his body. Our focus is now very much on physical preparation especially for the LMC guys as Europe is far behind Asia in terms of fitness level. All we try to do to is to start as early as we can with hard but clever physical preparation for young players.

9. Top | #8
      This user has no status.

Verified Pro Player
      Equipment:
      Blade Clipper CR

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by SpinQuark View Post
      Hi Daniel,

It's fantastic to have players like yourself here on the site. A lot of us enjoy watching the professional sport and now we have another name to watch out for and cheer on.

It would be interesting to know what drills and exercises you like to do and would recommend to others?
      Also how does your training time breakdown between say multiball, single ball, service training, and fitness work ?
      Have you ever used specific footwork exercises like skipping ?
      Have you practiced with the new ball yet and what do you think about this change and it's impact on the professional sport?

Welcome and wishing you well for 2014.
      Oh, there are loads of questions to answer to, it will not be easy but I try.

My personal preparation included all aspects that you mentioned. It has slightly changed as I have a hip injury and I just play part time beside my sport manager job in Ochsenhausen. It is all about realising what a player needs in a certain period. The game is very much physical but this aspect is still underestimated. In young ages the key is that players start loving the game, but then hard work starts. Multi ball practice is a very good way of improving foot work, fitness level and technical things. So multiball practice is key and can be used almost every day! Physical work can vary but important at every level is stomach and back muscles whereas legs, footwork is also crucial. Rule number one is: basic is to move well. For that you need to work a lot, work with different methods including running, skipping etc. In addition power practice is also important. So to sum all these things I can say that table tennis on high level is very complicated and hard sport, requires a lot of time, effort and energy to succeed. On lower level I reckon that if you love it than you can have plenty of joy without suffering too much at practice.

10. Top | #9
      This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member Country: Netherlands
      Equipment:
      Blade Nittaku Latika
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Vega Pro
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Vega Europe

Reviews
      Read 7 Reviews
      Liked 475 Times in 283 Posts
      Hey Daniel, welcome aboard!
      My question is about your equipment; what rubbers/blade do you use and how did you choose those? Do your coaches have a big influence on your choice of equipment?

11. Top | #10
      This user has no status.

Verified Pro Player
      Equipment:
      Blade Clipper CR

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
      Hey Daniel, welcome aboard!
      My question is about your equipment; what rubbers/blade do you use and how did you choose those? Do your coaches have a big influence on your choice of equipment?
      Thank you Steven. I am sponsored by Stiga, I play with Clipper CR blade and Calibra LT rubbers. I like them, especially the blade as Stiga produce the best blades in the world! When you are young your coach have a big influence on your choice while later on you need to find what you like the most in terms of equipments.

12. The Following 3 Users Like Daniel Zwickl's Post:

Der_Echte (01-05-2014),Giangt (01-06-2014),Steven (01-05-2014)

13. Top | #11
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: Germany
      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Rosewood XO
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 64
      Backhand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 61 Times in 49 Posts
      Hello Daniel,
      nice to see you here in TTD. My question:

Have you ever played against the good Chinese players like Zhang Jike, Ma Long or Wang Hao and if yes how is it to play against them? Especially if you compare european style with the "short arm" with the traditional chinese style with much more power and spin, what do you think is the better technique?

Thanks man