Who is best - Zhang Jike or Ma Long?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Well now we have got the answer a lot of people have questioned.

ML+vs+ZJK.JPG

Who is best of ML and ZJK!?
Todays clash between the two best players in the world have proven that Ma Long is stronger than Zhang Jike at the moment.

What is your opinion?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Who is the best - result between the 2 of them, or the result of the 2 of them?

Result between the 2 of them, Ma Long has more wins
Results of the 2 of them - Zhang Jike is leading by far

Number 1 in China means nothing, results in the World counts more - or that is atleast the view of CNT management.

If Ma Long beat ZJK = Ma Long is the best, then, many people are "best" as ZJK has quite a few losses the after his grand slam lol

Last edited:
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Ma Long's technique is a bit better than Zhang Jike and that is why he usually beats Zhang Jike in World Tours. But Zhang Jike's mentality makes him stronger than Ma Long in important matches and that is why he have better results in major tournaments. I enjoy watching both of them. Zhang Jike is he best in major tournaments and Ma Long is the best in other tournaments. So the answer of the thread question is "Both of them are the best.".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Who is the best - result between the 2 of them, or the result of the 2 of them?

Result between the 2 of them, Ma Long has more wins
Results of the 2 of them - Zhang Jike is leading by far

Number 1 in China means nothing, results in the World counts more - or that is atleast the view of CNT management.

If Ma Long beat ZJK = Ma Long is the best, then, many people are "best" as ZJK has quite a few losses the after his grand slam lol

It is a good question Tony...
If we just assessing ML and ZJK who is best/strongest head to head no matter considering results. We already know that Zhang Jike by far in terms of titles.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Result between the 2 of them, Ma Long has more wins: Too easy question
Results of the 2 of them - Zhang Jike is leading by far: In the past, Zhang Jike was better. But from now, i think Ma Long will be better, because he has overcome his weak mental.

Reactions: tan.theveteran
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
We will talk after Ma Long completes his Grand Slam and wins two world championships , and I don't buy that argument that Zhang Jike did not beat Ma Long in any of them. the fact of the matter is he was there waiting in the final and Ma Long did not turn up for the appointment so that is not discredit to Zhang Jike !! So lets not discuss these "theoretical" questions till he wins two world championships and completes his grand slam..... and by that time if Zhang Jike completes another grand slam then ... bad luck guys !! ( Hope you take this as good old fun and don't start firing at me :p )

This user has no status.
Ma Long has cleaner technique and a more solid game. Zhang Jike can clutch matches and has a stronger mentality when he chooses too. I also think his game is more unique and that he has better footwork. It's arguable which of the two are better since they're both at the top in their respective ways.

Reactions: tan.theveteran
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Xu Xin is compare able with Ma Long and i think we have to add him to be a nominees of the best player. He hasn't been great in world tours like Ma Long but has improved his technique a lot. He has won a World Cup like Ma Long. He was not as good as Ma Long and Zhang Jike in the past but his performance yesterday in the final of World Tour Grand Finals shows that thing are changing. Anyway, Zhang Jike is better than the others ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ZhangJikeTheBest
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Zhang Jike's style has stalemated a bit now. Look at how versatile Ma Long's has become now in the recent tournament, not just the old forehand&backhand topspin but I've seen him countering opponent's top spin by improvising using such strokes as - forehand chop block, backhand side-spin block and such. It's not something that Ma Long did 2-3 years ago, it's something new that he's mastered. I have not seen Zhang Jike use it even once but only the same old strokes and if one doesn't try new skills then sooner or later they'll start losing because the old looping isn't enough to win. Neither he has learnt how to properly loop FH with a same smashing power as Xu Xin or Ma Long does using a stretched arm and a waist rotation.

Last edited:
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Zhang Jike's style has stalemated a bit now. Look at how versatile Ma Long's has become now in the recent tournament, not just the old forehand&backhand topspin but I've seen him countering opponent's top spin by improvising using such strokes as - forehand chop block, backhand side-spin block and such. It's not something that Ma Long did 2-3 years ago, it's something new that he's mastered. I have not seen Zhang Jike use it even once but only the same old strokes and if one doesn't try new skills then sooner or later they'll start losing because the old looping isn't enough to win. Neither he has learnt how to properly loop FH with a same smashing power as Xu Xin or Ma Long does using a stretched arm and a waist rotation.
Zhang Jike smashed so many of Ma Long's chop blocks and won many points by doing this. Ma Long chop blocks when he can't play a powerful topspin and usually gives the opponent a good ball to smash. Still looping everything is the most effective style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
He didn't here at 6:23, and the second one he missed again at 9:26

Overall Ma Long made 4 chop-blocks in this match. It doesn't matter if he smashed the other two because this just made Ma Long even more unpredictable in the next points thus winning points easier because Zhang Jike would know that Ma Long can pull off that chop-block anytime again so it makes it harder.

Ma Long has become smarter in game tactics, Zhang Jike is persistent but not as bold as Ma Long in making different shots.

in different aspects of the game they have relatively stronger ability
in term of physical power, ZJK is better, speed ML is better. mental power ZJK is better, but analysis of the game ML is better. Adaptability, ZJK is better, initiating game in early phase ML is better. all in all they are both good rounded players. Presently ML seems under less pressure playing against him, hence the better score. But it always subjects to change imo.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Does the fact that XX won the title mean nothing? Personally I think ZJK is better than all of them right now, but who is the best in general, doesnt matter at all for me .

What matters the most is to see interesting and tensed games like the final yesterday...Since 2011 ZJK takes everything and makes it look so easy. I would be happy to see ML XX and the younger chinese or even Ovtcharov to put ZJK on pressure and take his titles.

Fierce competition is always very entertaining, but I think ZJK till now didnt have a strong enemy. The only matches that he really struggled was back in 2011 Rotterdam against WH WLQ and Boll

All the other were like "ok im gonna step on the gas pedal now and just finish him off because (Boll, Baum Gardos XX WH Ma Long you name it) is getting dangerously closer"

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
He didn't here at 6:23, and the second one he missed again at 9:26
Overall Ma Long made 4 chop-blocks in this match. It doesn't matter if he smashed the other two because this just made Ma Long even more unpredictable in the next points thus winning points easier because Zhang Jike would know that Ma Long can pull off that chop-block anytime again so it makes it harder.Ma Long has become smarter in game tactics, Zhang Jike is persistent but not as bold as Ma Long in making different shots.
Your mistake is you didn't count the chop blocks of Ma Long that doesn't land on the table. There must be some points that Ma Long tries to chop block but he failed. And in a short version that is made by H4Ks3IR, Ma Long played 5 chop block and Zhang Jike smashed 3 of them and score the point.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
ML can beat ZJk a hundred times but if he can't produce a better result or have better achievement than ZJK. ZJK would still be considered the 'best' or atleast it is debatable. but if ML catches up to ZJK in term of achievements then the head to head match ups would mean a lot more. But for now results shows ZJK is better.... for now...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Regardless what ZJK's fans are trying to prove here, I wish ZJK should improve a huge more to make the game against ML more interesting and intense.... I am feeling the game between two getting boring when ML always crushed ZJK by far score.. Somehow, ML-XX matches are getting more interesting, or so against young guns like FZD, YA, ZY...

Tell your ZJK improve more his short game to be able to beat ML and not to lose to young guns so frequently :eek:

Reactions: khuonglt
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Regardless what ZJK's fans are trying to prove here, I wish ZJK should improve a huge more to make the game against ML more interesting and intense.... I am feeling the game between two getting boring when ML always crushed ZJK by far score.. Somehow, ML-XX matches are getting more interesting, or so against young guns like FZD, YA, ZY...

Tell your ZJK improve more his short game to be able to beat ML and not to lose to young guns so frequently :eek:
Loosing 4:3 in not a crushing lose and last time on world tour it was Zhang Jike who crushed Ma Long 4:1.

Reactions: ttmonster