Who is best - Zhang Jike or Ma Long?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
This topic should have been changed the title as "Fan Zhang Jike: help your idol protect GRAND SLAM after being consistently lost against Ma Long" or "Lets kill Ma Long to protect our Zhang Jike's image"... or stuff like that..

We, as fan Ma Long, have totally given up to this topic, 'coz after every single loss of Zhang Jike, fans always scream out so loud to make him on top and freely destroy all his opponents images. Consequently, the passion of doing such a thing gets much much higher after few win of Zhang :)

The video is an example of a kid being so lucky with strong mental to reach the highest title of table tennis athlete and being back up by a huge number of bias fans with always "unmotivated" word from their mouth :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I am probably the biggest Zhang Jike fan ever, but for this topic, I believe that I am also quite objective. Like others have said, it's hard to compare these two. When they play each other, I would obviously bet on Ma Long because he has the better winning record, and imo, the cleaner, more technically sound game. If they were both in a Pro Tour, I would also guess that Ma Long would win the whole thing. However, in a World Championship or Olympics, let's say, I would bet on ZJK because of his strong mentality and winning attitude. That being said, on the other hand, I still think ZJK has a wider fan base in China and in the international scene because he is quite a character, a dynamic and great one to root for. This is why I am a huge ZJK fan and back him up, though Ma Long is also great and deserves just as much credit and more when he does perform his best.

Reactions: ZhangJikeTheBest
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
i think that's a dificult question because
all the major title of ZK was against Wang hao so we can think that he is very confident against him
perhaps ma long all the big title against Wang hao he is so affraid of big matchs

but in ZK vs Ma long i think its 85% ma long's wins

from Rotterdam 2011 to now we can say that

Ma long > Zhang jike
Zhang jike > Wang hao
Wang hao > Ma long

we need to wait for a big final between ma long and ZJ to see who can handdle that pressure

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Of course it's Zhang Jike, he is world Champion, olympic Champion. He always wins when it's important.

This topic is who is best player, not who was successful player. When ML beat ZJ, the fans of ZJ list all achievements to defend his poor performance.
In fact, if we talk about achievements, ML even is not comparable to WH, WLQ or Ma Lin. All these player was much better ML in major competitions.

Why didn't you compare ML to WH??? Why didn't you question that who is best, ML or WLQ? That's beacause everyone know ML is better these players at the moment, and the major titles is past.

So why did you count the titles when compare ML to ZJ? Remember, the topic is who's is best, not who's best achievements?

In sort, ML is better JZ at the moment. In the future, who know???

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
This topic is who is best player, not who was successful player. When ML beat ZJ, the fans of ZJ list all achievements to defend his poor performance.
In fact, if we talk about achievements, ML even is not comparable to WH, WLQ or Ma Lin. All these player was much better ML in major competitions.

Why didn't you compare ML to WH??? Why didn't you question that who is best, ML or WLQ? That's beacause everyone know ML is better these players at the moment, and the major titles is past.

So why did you count the titles when compare ML to ZJ? Remember, the topic is who's is best, not who's best achievements?

In sort, ML is better JZ at the moment. In the future, who know???
First, achievements are very important for players and only players with great achievements will stay in mind. Second, Wang Hao was a better player than Ma Long because of reaching the final of 3 Olympics and winning a WTTC but we don't compare them because Wang Hao is getting old and today is the day of Ma Long and Zhang Jike, not him. If we wants to compare all of the great players of all time (not only today players) Ma Long will be after Wang Hao because achievements are very important thing for a player to stay in mind of people for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Wang Hao is getting old and today is the day of Ma Long and Zhang Jike, not him.
Dun wanna get involved this "title defense" anymore 'coz it is too bias to stand

But one thing I should correct that Ma Long time has been actually started since 6 years ago or so, not now... He destroyed all legends at that time including WLQ, Ma Lin, Wang Hao, Chen Qi. Your Zhang Jike was more or less just a kid back to that time (even he is older though)

Cheer up :)

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Dun wanna get involved this "title defense" anymore 'coz it is too bias to stand

But one thing I should correct that Ma Long time has been actually started since 6 years ago or so, not now... He destroyed all legends at that time including WLQ, Ma Lin, Wang Hao, Chen Qi. Your Zhang Jike was more or less just a kid back to that time (even he is older though)

So Ma Long beat them when he was 20 and then lost to Wang Hao 3 times in semi-final of WTTC after he become older and reach his prime.

I'm not enemy of Ma Long. His technique is best in the world and he is one of the most complete player of all time but his mentality is weak to win a WTTC. If he can solve his problem he can win WTTC or Olympic Games.Ma Long and Zhang Jike are getting old, Their running out of time. If Ma Long wants to become a memorable player in history he needs to solve his mental problem soon.
Zhang Jike was nothing against Wang Liqin, Ma Lin, Wang Hao,... when he was 20 but he improved so fast. He improved fast enough to complete his Grand Slam before gets 25 years old. Ma Long improved until he become 20 and after that he didn't improved that much and this why Zhang Jike reached him and is passing him.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

To get the record straight, ML and ZJK were at the national team as youngsters at the same time, but zjk got kicked out. So we cannot make a comparison between them since ML stayed in the national team while ZJK was back at provincial training with lower level coaches and players. Yet he managed to clinch all the world titles faster. Who is better cannot be answered yet if you ask me, we will see it if they meet in world cup wttc or olympics. Its simple as that!

Besides there is always Xu Xin who crushed everybody in the grand finals and nobody expected him to win, all the fans believed that FZD will face ML in the final.

The 2015 wttc is far away fzd yan an ml zjk xx even zhou yu can win it. Dont hate or love the player dudes , hate or love the game

The whole debate about ML or ZJK is pointless for me

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013

I might hate myself for saying this 'cause it's not in my blood to pick fight with people, but I can't stand you anymore. I really hope that you could stop this kind of trash talk about Zhang Jike in this forum. Everyone who shared their views in this topic have been very rational, calm, and just stick to their points, except you. Each one of your posts was trying to discredit, ridicule, and belittle Zhang Jike. I don't know what Zhang Jike did to you personally that you hate him so much and can't hold your tongue. If you don't like some of Zhang Jike fans' behaviors, then just aim your fires at them. Please leave Zhang Jike out of this hatred.

For your information, Zhang Jike was not a kid 6 years ago or so when Ma Long was destroying all legends at that time. I'm assuming you are talking about 2008 when Ma Long won 2008 Pro Tour Grand Finals after beating Wang Liqin, Ma Lin, and Wang Hao. However, earlier that year, in 2008 Chinese National TT Championships, Zhang Jike achieved a feat no less impressive when he won the championship title after beating Ma Lin, Wang Liqin, and Wang Hao on his way to the top. In 2009 CNT's "Road to Yokohama“ Men's Trials, Zhang Jike ranked 4th while Ma Long ranked 8th in the final standing. In the end, the coaching team decided to give Ma Long a berth in the seven men's squad of men's single's event, and Zhang Jike was only chosen to play in the men's double and mixed double events. As everybody might already know by now, Zhang Jike was punished for disobeying his coach in one of the trial games. So, Zhang Jike was there with Ma Long almost stride by stride except that he had worse than usual record against Ma Long.

The thing is, Zhang Jike achieved more with less considering that he lost two precious years of vigorous training with the National Team at the crucial moment of his budding career (16 - 18 years old) when he was demoted to the provincial team from 2004-2006. As a result, he had less opportunities than Ma Long in international competitions. Ma Long started competing in Pro Tour in 2005 while Zhang Jike only had his debut in Pro Tour in 2008, if you could disregard his first and only Pro Tour appearance in 2002 back when he was only 14 years old and before his demotion. As of today, Ma Long has 54 Pro Tour/World Tour appearances comparing with Zhang Jike's 35. 2011 Rotterdam World Table Tennis Championships was Ma Long's third trip in men's single's event while it was Zhang Jike's first. By now, Ma Long has competed in three World Cups and Zhang Jike only two. Even Xu Xin who is 2 years younger than Zhang Jike has more WTTC (3), WC (3), and only 3 less Pro Tour (32) experiences than Zhang Jike. Needless to say continental competitions such as Asian Games, Asian Cup, Asian Championships, etc. As a matter of fact, Zhang Jike is the least experienced player in terms of international competitions among the CNT's three musketeers (ZJK, ML, XX). That being said, I think he has nobody but himself to blame for the early downfall (the demotion to the provincial team). So, I'm not arguing whether he should or should not be demoted. I'm just pointing out the fact.

I am not a Ma Long lover, nor am I a Ma Long hater. Actually, I appreciate this great rivalry between Zhang Jike and Ma Long. It's good for our sport. It keeps the fans and public interested and even passionate about the game. It reminds me of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning rivalry in NFL. One is the media and public's Golden Boy who is considered a big game player and has won three Super Bowl rings, and another is more or less experts and football fans' favorite who is considered the best player in statistics and has broken all sorts of records. And, their fans hate each other just as much as ZJK and ML fans hate each other. Just kidding:p. Their decade long rivalry from early 2000s until yesterday's AFC championship game has fed media and football forum with the kind of passion and interest that is good for the promotion of the sport.

So, please, show some respect to both Zhang Jike and Ma Long for the sake of the sport.

Coming back to the topic of who's best, Zhang Jike or Ma Long, I think it's too early to say who's the best at this stage of their career. Like ttmonster said we should wait until both of them retire from the sport to cast the vote. And even then, I don't think there will be a consensus on this topic. Think about it, who do you think is better, Ma Lin or Wang Liqin? Or, Wang Hao, if you want to throw him into the mix. It all depends on what criteria you use to judge players, the championship titles one won or the records one broke or holds?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Everyone who shared their views in this topic have been very rational, calm, and just stick to their points, except you.

Could you plz show me who is "everyone" you are talking about? probably you (as I did mention somewhere in another topic) are the only one who has a fair view and I personally enjoy reading your posts. Then Im sorry if my posts showing my look down on somebody else bias viewpoint might bother you.. Frankly, I am not and never ZJK hater, all I dislike and disrespect is just the unmotivated word from ZJK's fans

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Could you plz show me who is "everyone" you are talking about? probably you (as I did mention somewhere in another topic) are the only one who has a fair view and I personally enjoy reading your posts. Then Im sorry if my posts showing my look down on somebody else bias viewpoint might bother you.. Frankly, I am not and never ZJK hater, all I dislike and disrespect is just the unmotivated word from ZJK's fans

If that's the case, I might misjudged you, then I apologize for my harsh language.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I hate to do this Bricephan, I guess some of what you consider has harsh may not be that harsh, I guess there is communication gap happenning because of language barier. So hold on to your emotions :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
I am a fanatical fan of Zhang Jike, but the only person against whom he can not play and it is very difficult Ma Long. Each player, however, and a strong technical and physical has an opponent who is uncomfortable. In matches between two Ma Long will continue to domenira but greater glory as a whole will be for Zhang Jike.
Zhang Jike - great player because he knows how to win at important tournaments.

znah jike.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
The picture is very nice, does it mean you play with your left hand ? :p

Not play with the right :)

I want something else to add ......
Ma Long - Zhang Jike battle is one of the most physical power, as they are hit with great force and this predisposes more unforeseen errors either. I think the deciding factor for them is who will have a tough mentality on the day you play.

I hope Ma Long become world champion because I am wondering if you can maintain a high level of motivation to play :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
His greatest motivation is against Ma Long, whenever they played. You just have to improve mental confidence and win the important points. In Dubai, both players made ​​many unforced errors .... Zhang Jike just make more :)) if he won the third game was going to beat 4-0