Against New ITTF Plastic Ball

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
just want to reiterate my point. I totally expect people to be able to adapt (I wasn't saying that the adaption length is long), and that there is this possibility that the ball might even extend the length of the rallies

It's just about the policy making of ITTF that bugs me. changing the entire game for no big reasons.

If people explain that the change won't be big. Then really, why change lol? what is the ultimate point of changing.

If it is to make a point longer. then make it a clear goal and do things accordingly.

Reactions: ZhangJikeTheBest
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I could be wrong here, but I believe there has been no reason mentioned for a ball change yet. Wasn't it clear upon announcement of the new ball that it had to be replaced because of the ending production of its material? So it is not the ITTF forcing change, but in this case it is an external factor.

Nowadays TT Balls are almost the only application for celluloid, so if we were to keep the celluloid balls, we'd have to hold up the production on our own, since no-one else is interested. And this is getting more and more difficult because of regulations. For extensive explanation by Sharara, see http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...83-Worldwide-ban-of-celluloid-quot-Proof-quot ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I could be wrong here, but I believe there has been no reason mentioned for a ball change yet. Wasn't it clear upon announcement of the new ball that it had to be replaced because of the ending production of its material? So it is not the ITTF forcing change, but in this case it is an external factor.

Nowadays TT Balls are almost the only application for celluloid, so if we were to keep the celluloid balls, we'd have to hold up the production on our own, since no-one else is interested. And this is getting more and more difficult because of regulations. For extensive explanation by Sharara, see http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...83-Worldwide-ban-of-celluloid-quot-Proof-quot ;)

Yes, that was the main thing that ITTF use for the Public - years ago.
Simply OP did not go and read ITTF press release about it, and just assuming the change just happened overnight.

There was debate that there is no "eol" of celluliod yet, but what I do know is, celluliod is a banned substance for air plane, due to the ease of catching fire.
I'm sure you guys saw that video on how easy it was to start a huge fire with tons of celluliod balls?

Any ways, no matter what change, it just need to be affordable enough.
Many businesses are pushing pricing higher and higher and higher
soon we will have $100 rubbers as main stream and $500 blades as main stream - now that bothers me.

11 point rule change, speed glue, etc etc etc, these rules comes and go. In 3 years time, there will have another change. This is ITTF reputation, rule changes every x amount of years lol. Thank your national body for that btw - as they didn't say nay to the vote.

Last edited:
says Aging is a killer
Wouldn't the balls become cheaper if they are made out of a material that is less rare and transportable by plane?

That is only true where the material cost is the main driver of final price to the consumer. Transport by sea is far cheaper than air, btw.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Everyone... We play to the laws or we don't...... Resistance is futile. Give that 99% of players boost.. And the laws of our game disallow this. Seems a bit 'meh' to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
I tried the new Palio plastic balls(the ones that PingSkills used) and I can say that there isn't much difference. Spin is the same but the bounce is higher. That's why spin isn't so important anymore. You can sometimes just smash a long push instead of playing topspin. But after 3 weeks you won't feel any difference. I think the plastic balls are better than the old ones. I don't like that here are people out here who are against the new balls but they didn't even play with them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
While talking about the conspiracy, is ITTF try to get more money?
We should not doubt this, they need money. NO money, NO Pro Tour, NO WTTC and etc. At least, they do not sell player jersey like NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL lol

Are all these butterfly, DHS, and what so every try to get money from us?
Yes, no doubt. Else, how they about to get money to pay their bill/salary, and sponsor the competition. I don't think any company in this world will be this kind, Apple is even worse.

Is the ball change is very frequent?
I kind of believe it is. But after when I look back at football (or soccer), the ball change just like less compare to football. If you recall since 2002 or so, a new ball introduced for every world cup. And then all those player just either complain or comment or praise it. But I believe most of the kids still play with their 10 years old football. So, as long as we still can get old ball, I think the transition still be fine.

Talk about new ball, why it break so fast?
Why there is no experiment/simulation can be done right now. What I can think of is due to the seamless technology. If you know the Newton third law, a force exerted will creates a reaction force. Since the old seamed ball does has a very small gap between two celluloid. When we hit the ball, we did change the ball shape alittle due to our hitting force. The distortion of the shape does create/change some inner air pressure, but luckly, the change (increase) of air pressure can be release thru the seam gap. However, this should not the case for seamless ball. So, the whole pvc structure actually experiment far more stress during each play, and I believe this results the durability become far less than the old seam ball. The only thing is I could not confirm this speculation, since I do not do/have a team to do this research.

So, is the new ball do any good?
In short time, it might not. However, if you ask me, from researcher perspective, it is really good. If they manage to get the durability up to 80% of the current seamed one, and the inner air pressure almost guarantee same for every ball. Then, this is a great technology improvement. But from player perspective, I have not yet play it, I don't know.