Against New ITTF Plastic Ball

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Dear all,

I am sure there are posts before on this, if it is entirely repeated. Admin, please kindly help me delete this. I didn't see any late posts on this forum when I used the searching engine.

I just wanna spark some discussion again. I heard the new plastic ball is less spinny, and all that. I mean why change? I think spinny-ness is one of the key feature of tabletennis that beats other sports, and I am really proud for TT about that, but it seems now ITTF is changing it for no strong reasons?

I saw that Sharara said there's hazard created during manufacturing. I don't know the detail of manufacturing yet, but it should be pretty machinary I would think, and why not by adding some protection in the manufacturing side. And people couldn't even seem to find the evidence according to reports online. Even if it's true, is it a good enough reason to change the entire sports so much with such low motivation, and bad feedbacks from many places? Is it good to put forward a decision with so much negative feedbacks? Is Sharara so used to changing, that's so much power with ITTF imo (but I guess many countries agreed?). What is the point of changing to put it simply, and has this proposal gone through a process that is reflective of all the negative comments everywhere (I have seen little to none positive comments).

I am feeling really sad about my sport. I hope what I heard were not true.

2 areas of discussions:
(1) Do you think it's good or bad
(2) What can we do about it? (if it's bad)

I am really posting so some of us can work on (2) I see petition made months ago, but that was not enough, how can we talk to ITTF? maybe posts like this can made important people notice. thank you!

This user has no status.
People are just blowing things way out of proportions...Like the people on Ping skills said, after a few months, or less you wont notice a difference. The quality of the new balls will be better and all this misinformation will be long gone.

About #2. The way I see it is, if all the pro players uses it and still performs well and don't complain about it, then why can't any of us do the same? Just wait and see how it all plays out in the next 6 months.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Well, I started using the prototypes very early, almost 1 year ago to be exact.
Indeed not a fun experience, but i'm sure the final product will be better than the prototype.
If not....expect ball breaking every session.

I don't agree with a thousand changes in few years, but do understand change may be good for the long run.
But there is just way too many changes in a sport that is declining in many countries (ie Sweden, China)

Regarding this change, from logistical point of view, at least I can start shipping balls via air freight and not have them considered dangerious goods and pay an expensive frieght price (by courier companies).
The disadvantage is, new TT era - new blades, new rubbers, new ball, new everything - difficult for supply chain management and consumer pocket.
The advantage to that is - non Chinese countries can have a chance to adapt better and maybe have a good 2015 WTTC. We all saw what happen to the last major change -service rule/40mm ball etc.

So change can be good and bad.
But again, no one is telling you what you must use.
There are sanction tournaments that follow certain rules, and if you do not take part in those, you can use anything you want.

So if the 2/3 majority of all national TT federation voted okay, then there is not much we can do - unless there is some bribery/votes in place, where audit committee must be there to protect the integrity of such vote.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Well, I started using the prototypes very early, almost 1 year ago to be exact.
Indeed not a fun experience, but i'm sure the final product will be better than the prototype.
If not....expect ball breaking every session.

I don't agree with a thousand changes in few years, but do understand change may be good for the long run.
But there is just way too many changes in a sport that is declining in many countries (ie Sweden, China)

Regarding this change, from logistical point of view, at least I can start shipping balls via air freight and not have them considered dangerious goods and pay an expensive frieght price (by courier companies).
The disadvantage is, new TT era - new blades, new rubbers, new ball, new everything - difficult for supply chain management and consumer pocket.
The advantage to that is - non Chinese countries can have a chance to adapt better and maybe have a good 2015 WTTC. We all saw what happen to the last major change -service rule/40mm ball etc.

So change can be good and bad.
But again, no one is telling you what you must use.
There are sanction tournaments that follow certain rules, and if you do not take part in those, you can use anything you want.

So if the 2/3 majority of all national TT federation voted okay, then there is not much we can do - unless there is some bribery/votes in place, where audit committee must be there to protect the integrity of such vote.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
I recently played with one of the new balls by Palio that my buddy brought to the table yesterday. My initial thoughts were that the ball was heavier, bigger, and sound weird. As I warmed up with the ball, it seemed a lot easier to hit, especially as a forward drive. You still need to spin the ball when it comes to lifting backspin, especially off chops, but it seems a lot easier. I definitely see high number rallies in the future. When it comes to spin itself like backspin, the first bounce has the most, but then it just dies after that, so service doesn't seem as important anymore. I don't really see a big jump in adjustment when it comes to the new balls though, so I actually don't mind it. I'll definitely miss spin though.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
If lifting backspin will be easier then defenders will not have a chance against other players. It can really harm the sport. Table Tennis needs different styles to be a great sport to watch.
Reduce of spin and speed is not a serious problem because manufacturers will come up with spinier and faster rubbers and blades.
The quality of new balls will get better and better in time and after some month you will not hate the new balls anymore and they will get normal for you.

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
- I could surely be wrong, and not representative as an individual.

- My point was not about people not being able to adapt. I never doubted that it will be okay after a few months. I am talking about the REASON WHY we are changing.

My point is why are we changing. the ball, essentially everything else, it's same as changing the table size, playing area, paddle, for WHAT REASON? changing a ball used for 100 years (really it is changing the table size, paddle, everything)

WHY:
from the comments: "non Chinese countries can have a chance to adapt better and maybe have a good 2015 WTTC" I think that is absolutely absurd lol. Changing a 100 year thing for an arbitrary chance. I think olympic

But longer rallies could be more entertaining thing, but less spin is just so disappointing. LESS SKILLS are not the direction to go, I really don't believe. But maybe the spin won't be affect too much I really hope.

I think 2/3 of the countries passing is a valid point, but from the TT culture I know. I am guessing in TT if the big brothers said yes, people would follow, like if china, germany japan said yes.

ITTF Methodology

wait until people change the ball (size or materials) in tennis, or badmintin (the small balls are especially sensitive to the change, and TT is definitely one of the most sensitive given the speed) people will freak out. ITTF attitude/mentality is like "we need to fix the game so China doesn't dominate, change the game. make a new game so everyone starts afresh again. everyone on the starting line" rather than to "promote, and highlight the entertaining part that non-TT-lovers don't see". The thing I think TT is not as popular, first is because china domination, second is because people didn't get to see the really high skill-ed moments, or intense match points moments. there are so many game and match points moments and clutch moments in TT. and they should really work on that problem as well.

They definitely need to change their websites and hire in-house highlight editors. All younger generations are going to search for ITTF when they started to get more serious about the sport, and when they see the website.

I think people will be okay, when they see the increase in length of rallies, but I am just said that ITTF is making TT an easier and easier sports. I always take pride in the TT is more about skills than size or strength.

British Olympian Andrew Baggaley has said plans to change table tennis balls are "bizarre". http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/table-tennis/22284368

"I don't really understand the reasons for the change, because I believe the pecking order in world table tennis will remain the same."

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Current ball is only a few years old. Certainly not 100 years old...... I'm not that old, but I certainly can tell you I have seen 1 ball change in my life already.
Maybe you should do some research first?

Every time there is a change, it leaves the playing field open to every one again. We have seen many great players not able to adjust and either retire or fallen off the top radar. This is a fact not my assumption.

Regarding my statement about 2015, look at 2003.
This again is a fact.

Regarding comment about non Chinese countries etc, this is common knowledge on world level.
I first heard this princplie from top Chinese coaches, and they fully understand this, thus is why they plan for changes.
If any one can plan better, maybe they will have a head start - this is common sense

I answered both your questions, and if you think that is still absurd, then whats the piont of asking forum members to reply?

I prefer no change, but as a coach, this can give South Africa or my students a chance to adapt faster and maybe become better rank in Africa than we already are. Hence why I started using these balls 1 years ago already - the earliest I heard was around Jan or so, I was only 1 month behind.

But as I said, the reason of change is indeed questionable, but your country likely already voted in favour of ITTF, so you should go ask your national TT federation why they are not listening to you. And if 2/3 voted yes, and that is a bad vote, then you have a bigger problem than just a ball.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Yes I apologize for that. 100 years is a rather exaggerated number.

Again, I am saying that adaption is not a problem. There are many changes that could be made in a game (make everyone restarts), and be adapted in 6 months (hence, say, your reason: giving some people (younger generation) advantage, but I don't really believe in that) the problem i have is why this one or anyone without a clear objective of transform and reform.

People will be able to handle the change doesn't mean it should be put forward.

As for the point of the thread, well I just hoped to discuss things like this and see if people agree or not. Thanks for your comments. Yeah maybe not many people agree, it's okay. Anyways the decision had been made.

Current ball is only a few years old. Certainly not 100 years old...... I'm not that old, but I certainly can tell you I have seen 1 ball change in my life already.
Maybe you should do some research first?

Every time there is a change, it leaves the playing field open to every one again. We have seen many great players not able to adjust and either retire or fallen off the top radar. This is a fact not my assumption.

Regarding my statement about 2015, look at 2003.
This again is a fact.

Regarding comment about non Chinese countries etc, this is common knowledge on world level.
I first heard this princplie from top Chinese coaches, and they fully understand this, thus is why they plan for changes.
If any one can plan better, maybe they will have a head start - this is common sense

I answered both your questions, and if you think that is still absurd, then whats the piont of asking forum members to reply?

I prefer no change, but as a coach, this can give South Africa or my students a chance to adapt faster and maybe become better rank in Africa than we already are. Hence why I started using these balls 1 years ago already - the earliest I heard was around Jan or so, I was only 1 month behind.

But as I said, the reason of change is indeed questionable, but your country likely already voted in favour of ITTF, so you should go ask your national TT federation why they are not listening to you. And if 2/3 voted yes, and that is a bad vote, then you have a bigger problem than just a ball.

This user has no status.
The problem isnt, that ittf is trying to develop the game. The problem is they are doing this just to make MORE MONEY, you have to buy new rubbers and blades and all the companys are just making money out of the new ball and normally all the table tennis players shouldnt support this. But we have to so its kinda a cartel whats going on here :(

Reactions: ttmaniac
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
@Tony,
1 When was this vote for the change to a plastic ball?
2 When was there vote to increase the tolerance thus making the ball about 1mm bigger?

I speak under correction (dont have time to dig up all the info)

1) This is atleast 3yrs + ago. The new ball was meant to launch after London 2012, then July 2013, and now July 2014, so I think it is some where during 3 to 5 years ago that it will brought up at the ITTF meetings with all national federation (so likely at WTTC or WTTTC), and it was approved. Also note the athlete commision also approved the ball - not just administrators.

2) The orginal 40mm ball has a tolerance of 39.5mm to 40.5mm, if my understandings are correct, the new ball is not breaking this rule. However I am not sure on reason for naming 40+, the new ball is not going to be 41mm for example, and I believe it to be within 40.5mm

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Also note, I'm not pro plastic ball, but just saying that if you guys want to "fight" ITTF, at least you need to have all the facts correct.
Otherwise people will just laugh you off.

ITTF has legal advisors and they are doing things "legally" and according to the constitutions etc.
So for this to get so far, and "fans" want to undo it - is really going to be impossible.
You need your national bodies to "undo" this, they are the voters - not you. But you vote them in power (to represent you) in a way.

This plastic ball change, glue change, 40mm ball change, banning of rubbers etc etc etc only effect ITTF rules (continental that uses ITTF rules, nationals that uses ITTF rules and other domestic competition that uses ITTF rules). If you are not participating in any of these, then it won't apply to you. So as an individual - you don't need to follow these rules. IE many amaetur (non pro) are still speed gluing, they are using hidden services, they are using banned rubbers and playing table tennis just as fun.

In other sports - we don't all go and follow international rules - look at basketball for example. We don't even follow NBA rules - we even make up our own rules aka street ball, or any other match format for friendlies.

But in TT, especially fans/amateur players, we are all taking so serious.
If the national bodies, pro players etc, are not doing anything about it. What differences do you think fans can make?
They included an athlete commission in ITTF, are you guys suggesting a Fans commision too?

Also, for TT companies to make money, they don't need rule change (of course rule change will allow some companies a chance to catch up on market share by launching a better product - like how Tenergy was the best speed glue free rubber at that time).
These Tensor rubbers are now in the 4th Generation, and when 5th Gen comes out, we will all buy that still. When new blades come out, we will upgrade too. What differences is it to rule change - we still spend a lot of money. I know some old players are still using 38mm era equipment (especially those Chinese SP - coaches).

As an owner of a shop, all these products is giving me headaches regarding inventory/stock management. I don't like hundreds of rubbers and blade options. I don't want equipment for 40+, equipment for 40mm, this is going to be a nightmare for me to be honest. But then this is reality, if I can do this transition better than my competitors, I might just get more market share too.

As a player, there is too many options and I don't think this is good for the sport.
I can't think of any other sport that has so many "options" of how you can assemble your bat - maybe there is more than 100 000 possiblities in TT, taking a blade, a fh rubber and a bh rubber of all ITTF approved items....

Last edited:
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
I don't think this change will effect the game so much. The reduce of speed and spin will compensates by new blades and rubber that are faster and spinier. The quality of balls will get better in time and they will not broke so early.
The only problem will be the price of new equipment. I hope they will not be too expensive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I've tried some of the newer balls and they definitely have a ways to go before they're perfected, but they won't change the game that much. At the professional level it will make rallies longer and perhaps even make modern defenders more prevalent in the game. It's actually great for growth in broadcast viewing numbers. It slows it down just enough for broadcasters to work with it a little more especially if rallies end up being longer. China will still most likely dominate, but at least European players will have more of a rallying chance.

Reactions: WiWa