Post serve strategy.

This user has no status.
Hi all,

This is a general question and a search for resources. I see a lot of available online content for things such as serve technique, footwork, stroke types, spin etc.
however I haven't seen a strategy guide.There's a lot on the physical side but I find table tennis is a thinking game too. I find myself serving decent but not having a post serve strategy or hitting a ball well placed but not having a strategy past that shot. Reacting instead of thinking ahead.

For example, a guide that would explain 1. If you spin your serve like A, chances are the return will be B in which case your next shot would be C. I can sort out the basic logic for example a short chop serve will most likely be pushed back at you so you can chop it back or try and top it back but an in depth strategy guide would be fantastic. Perhaps there are some books out there?

Cheers
Ryan

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yes, indeed not much strategy out there, but technique enhancement will change strategy. So strategy for yestie years might not work tomorrow.
Same thing with the higher level with so much video analysising that stategy is more about adapting to the game at stake than oppose to plan up front.

Of course serve A will have a higher ratio of return to 3rd ball - B, follow by your determination on what shot C should be, or rather serve, 3rd ball, 5th ball, 7th ball etc.
All I can say is to train all possible variety and built it into muscle memory, and that when you need it, you are executing it without the process of thinking - there is no time to think :)

Thats why the Chinese focus so much on first 3 balls and first 5 balls, as that is the outcome of the point. Where as many other TT culture focus on looping game (consider percentage ratio in training).

Then again, playing against all kinds of opponent may lead to all kinds of strategy, angles, power on ball, spin on ball, arc on ball, placement on table etc.
Table tennis is way too complicated lol

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Serves should have a purpose of either controlling receiver options or if they got a weakness, exploiting it to give you a good ball to open strong spin or speed with high landing percentage. Serves should work into your offensive strengths and you should have several plans to work from.

I have some pretty heavy spin on my cut serve that gets me a point or two early, which is nice, but all good players adjust. That heavy spin and the medium spins I allow the opponents to quickly adapt to all setup my best serve: a no-spin serve or a light cut that looks really heavy. Even getting an opponent to mis-read the spin a bit is often enough of an edge for you to get your offense going.

A gazillion ways to do this but it really helps if you can use same motion, have that motion fast and smooth, be able to control angles at impact, be able to change spins, course, depth and pace all while keeping it as low as you can. That allows you the flexibility to mix it up and keep opponent from getting confidient receiving Ur serves.

Of course, a professional book on tactics breaks it down a LOT more than that, but that is the essence of the thing.