Ask Kristian Karlsson a question!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
Thanks for the reply! Lol Fan Zhendong sounds like a cool person! He seems very humble and nice to like you say.

What do you think is the most important part to practice in table tennis? What can average players do/practice to improve as quick as possible?

Do you do strength and conditioning? If so what areas do you think are important? Perhaps lunges? squats? etc...

I think that it's the same for all players who have the basics, have an idea how you want to play and then look into our game and try to reduce the flaws. Sure it's important to practice alot but i think Quality>Quantity. Also have fun! Tons of fun!

Yes I do! The most important areas for table tennis players in my opinion are Legs, stomach and back. These 3 areas is needed for almost every single time you touch the ball in a match. Stamina is really important aswell!

Take care!

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Hello Kristian, greetings from Norway!

I just want to know out of pure curiousity what rubbers and blade do you play, and how would you describe their pros and cons?
Also, what are your future ambitions with table tennis? Do you think you can help europe back into the top of the table tennis world, not only by playing yourself but also as an inspiring player for youngsters? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
Hello Kristian, greetings from Norway!

I just want to know out of pure curiousity what rubbers and blade do you play, and how would you describe their pros and cons?
Also, what are your future ambitions with table tennis? Do you think you can help europe back into the top of the table tennis world, not only by playing yourself but also as an inspiring player for youngsters? :)

I play with Stiga Clipper as a blade
And Calibra LT 2.0 on both forehand and backhand.
My current ambition as a table tennis player is to establish myself as a top 50 player in the world. When (not if) i have succeded with that i'll set another goal then :) I hope I can inspire young players and I try my best to be a good sportsman both inside the court and outside. The 2 players which inspired me most during the years have been Timo Boll and Jörgen Persson. 2 exceptionally good sportsmen which i strive to be like.
Thanks for the support!
Br Kristian

Reactions: jedimasterplk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
I think that it's the same for all players who have the basics, have an idea how you want to play and then look into our game and try to reduce the flaws. Sure it's important to practice alot but i think Quality>Quantity. Also have fun! Tons of fun!

Yes I do! The most important areas for table tennis players in my opinion are Legs, stomach and back. These 3 areas is needed for almost every single time you touch the ball in a match. Stamina is really important aswell!

Take care!

Thanks!

Unlucky against Gionis today. How did you find his style? It was a shame it was not live on the live streaming I wanted to watch this match. What are your best tactics for playing against defensive players?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
Thanks!

Unlucky against Gionis today. How did you find his style? It was a shame it was not live on the live streaming I wanted to watch this match. What are your best tactics for playing against defensive players?

Hehe i wouldnt say unlucky, he was the better player today :) I like to play against defenders and as i where going into this match i knew i had a good chance of taking the match. He wanted differently today and like i said, he was 1 number to big for me today. My main strategi is to make a defender move as much as possible, they're very fit players but eventually they will make mistakes if you can waer them out. Gionis played really well the last 3 sets and i was the one who was forced to mistakes. Next time i shall have my revenge! :D

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Hello, Kristian,

I have kind of a serious question. Can table tennis player live from this sport? Does only top players can make profit from table tennis besides they are having fun :)
The reason why i am asking is that for example in our country there are good promising young players - europe juniors winners and similar, but later in age they don't put much effort in it because, everybody says you can't live from it, so it just became nice hobby. What you could tell us about this side of table tennis?
Thank you! :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
Hello, Kristian,

I have kind of a serious question. Can table tennis player live from this sport? Does only top players can make profit from table tennis besides they are having fun :)
The reason why i am asking is that for example in our country there are good promising young players - europe juniors winners and similar, but later in age they don't put much effort in it because, everybody says you can't live from it, so it just became nice hobby. What you could tell us about this side of table tennis?
Thank you! :)

A table tennis player can definetly live from his sport. It's difficult to put a "ranking mark" on the sweet spot where you can make profit from it but if I had to say a number i'd put it around 200 in the world. Then you can find a club which will provide enough money for you to live on it. Sure you cannot save that much money but if you love what you're doing then it's worth it. Once you improve your play you can earn quite well on table tennis im sure :)

Take care!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
Kristian its so nice to have you here asnwering all our questions about the pros like yourself! thanks so much!

I wanted to ask if you know if some of the top pros do change the handle of their blades for marketing purposes, is it common? Like some chinese players use viscarias with other handles, or other europeans use timo bolls alc blades (or any other commonly used blade) with a diferent handle depending on who is sponsoring them?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
Kristian its so nice to have you here asnwering all our questions about the pros like yourself! thanks so much!

I wanted to ask if you know if some of the top pros do change the handle of their blades for marketing purposes, is it common? Like some chinese players use viscarias with other handles, or other europeans use timo bolls alc blades (or any other commonly used blade) with a diferent handle depending on who is sponsoring them?

Hi! Well from what I can tell it's not that common at all. I know a few players that does it but not many.
Thanks for the kind words :)
Take care!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
Have you tried out and tested the new ball yet Kristian? Just wondering your thoughts on it and its effects to table tennis in the future for pro players.

I havn't got the chance to test it very much just played with it a few minutes. So I can't really give any opinions about the new ball yet. Sorry for the dissapointing reply :(
Take Care
Kristian

Reactions: Dan
This user has no status.
Hey Kristian Karlsson, its sooooooooo nice to talk to real table tennis pros, it means soooo much to all of us you cant imagine :)

My question is:
All the chinese player are playing sticky rubbers on their forehand and not "normal" grippy rubbers like you or Tenergys. Do you see any eyplanation for that? Do you think the make more spin or did you recognize anything different from european players to chinese players?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
Hey Kristian Karlsson, its sooooooooo nice to talk to real table tennis pros, it means soooo much to all of us you cant imagine :)

My question is:
All the chinese player are playing sticky rubbers on their forehand and not "normal" grippy rubbers like you or Tenergys. Do you see any eyplanation for that? Do you think the make more spin or did you recognize anything different from european players to chinese players?

Haha the pleasure is mine!

Yeah basicly all the Chinese players use Hurricane on forehand. The main reason for this is that they grow up with that sort of rubber on forehand. It's in the chinese culture you could say. This rubber (i played with it when I was 14-15 to improve my forehand technique) is really hard to play with since it requires such a good technique to play with. If allthough you master it i think it can take your level just a little tiny tiny tiny bit higher. But that requires alot alot alot of practice with it and since european players arn't brought up with it I don't think it's worth it for us.

Best Regards
Kristian

Reactions: Butt Stallion
This user has no status.
thank you very very much for your answer. So would you recommend to play this rubber maybe for 1 or 2 months to improve your forehand and then change to your normal rubber? Like having a special training month where you almost practise everyday multiball and stuff to improve yourself but playing seriously with your normal rubbers? My niveau is almost 3. league of germany. thanks a lot :)

says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
thank you very very much for your answer. So would you recommend to play this rubber maybe for 1 or 2 months to improve your forehand and then change to your normal rubber? Like having a special training month where you almost practise everyday multiball and stuff to improve yourself but playing seriously with your normal rubbers? My niveau is almost 3. league of germany. thanks a lot :)

I also tried this Hurricane rubber (same quality as the Chinese national team is using). Just as Kristian said, it is very different than for example Tenergy and it's a lot different to play with it. It felt like I didn't get as fast strokes as usually and it kinda required a slightly different technique to get your strokes well played. I was very eager to try the rubber because I wanted to try the Chinese players material, but I didn't play long with it just because it was a lot different to what I was used to. If you however get used to the rubber you can basically do anything with it just like the Chinese players.. it's surely a lot better for flicks and half long top spins because it is quite sticky

says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
Hey Kristian, awesome to have you answering people's questions here. Very nice that a pro player uses time to give proper answers here on TTD :)

I actually remember playing against your brother Mattias a few years ago in Safir International :p That match was bad playing from me but of course, Mattias was way better :D Do you still practise a lot with your brother and did you self at some point try pimple-rubbers on one side like Mattias has (at least had). Short pimple on forehand and "normal" rubber on backhand is quite unusual style to play with. Did you also think or try playing with this style at some point?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
I trained with it a couple of months just because my forehand technique was so bad, and as I said with bad technique you cannot play with this sticky rubbers
So if your technique is fine then i wouldn't recommend it, allthough it is up to you :)
Take care
Kristian :)