GAC Asian Cup 2014

Who do you think will win the GAC Asian Cup 2014?

• Ma Long

Votes: 83 67.5%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • Chaung Chih Yuan

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Kenta Matsudaira

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gao Ning

• Tang Peng

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Chen Chien An

• Kim Min Seok

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Grand Final being the riches tournament out there is "great" because the qualifications requires players to play in X amount of world tours in X amount of continent and then rank then by points collected during the year.

So this is a qualifcation based on a player who has done well and participated in a many world tours over a selective amount of time. Than oppose to just show up in 1 touranement and do well there and get crowned champion etc.

So imo, Grand Final is a more fair selection policy than WC
It is surely a stupid way to select players for WC. But it makes it more interesting.
Selection way for Grand final is not that fair. You can win one tour at it is over, you can be there. Other wins will just make your draw easier.Last year Zhang Jike only won the Kuwait Open and performed terrible in other world tour but still he was in grand final as the #6 player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
It is surely a stupid way to select players for WC. But it makes it more interesting.
Selection way for Grand final is not that fair. You can win one tour at it is over, you can be there. Other wins will just make your draw easier.Last year Zhang Jike only won the Kuwait Open and performed terrible in other world tour but still he was in grand final as the #6 player.

Again, its all about 1) being elidgible and then 2) seeding/selection by points.
It was sad that so many players did not attempt to become elidgible in 2013 Grand Final

There is 20 world tours in a year, and it only takes 5 of them to become elidgible for GF

Compared to WC, many world rank 50-100 players can become top 10 in Asia Cup (because of the 2 player rule of the stronger countries) and qualify for WC accordling....

I can't find last years one any more, but here is 2014 standings
http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf1.asp?category=standings

Olympic and WC - you can be the number 3 player of top countries and not be elidgible to take part...so sad
Mean while, other players ranked hundreds of spots below you can take part

Last edited:
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Again, its all about 1) being elidgible and then 2) seeding/selection by points.It was sad that so many players did not attempt to become elidgible in 2013 Grand FinalThere is 20 world tours in a year, and it only takes 5 of them to become elidgible for GFCompared to WC, many world rank 50-100 players can become top 10 in Asia Cup (because of the 2 player rule of the stronger countries) and qualify for WC accordling....I can't find last years one any more, but here is 2014 standingshttp://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf1.asp?category=standingsOlympic and WC - you can be the number 3 player of top countries and not be elidgible to take part...so sadMean while, other players ranked hundreds of spots below you can take part
Agree with you on this.GF qualifying system is much better than WC. It's one of the best systems. But i think a qualifying system that is based on WR will be better with no limit for the numbr of players from each country.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Again, its all about 1) being elidgible and then 2) seeding/selection by points.
It was sad that so many players did not attempt to become elidgible in 2013 Grand Final

There is 20 world tours in a year, and it only takes 5 of them to become elidgible for GF

Compared to WC, many world rank 50-100 players can become top 10 in Asia Cup (because of the 2 player rule of the stronger countries) and qualify for WC accordling....

I can't find last years one any more, but here is 2014 standings
http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf1.asp?category=standings

Olympic and WC - you can be the number 3 player of top countries and not be elidgible to take part...so sad
Mean while, other players ranked hundreds of spots below you can take part
Agree with you on this.
GF qualifying system is much better than WC. It's one of the best systems. But i think a qualifying system that is based on WR will be better with no limit for the number of players from each country.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
How do you know Players personal coaches in CNT make such judgement/prediction?
Everything can happen but some people has more chances than others. To me they are Zhang Jike and Ma Long. I'm not saying they will surely be there. I'm saying they have simply more chance than the others.

How can you say Zhang Jike and Ma Long are so much better than FZD and XX?
One thing is for sure. We are all non-professional players (except than the pro's in this forum).
Let's leave the judgement to the Chinese trainers!
All I can add to the discussion is that I see an interesting development in the FZD vs ML encounters:
1. Encounter (Chinese trials for WTTC) ML supreme in every area except than bh
2. Encounter (CNG) ML won but FZD was able to outblock him and prevent ML from getting in with topspins
3. Encounter (Trials for Tokio) FZD won due to strong topspins, bh but ML was (supposedly half-injured)
4. Encounter (Asian Cup) ML won due to short-short and very good 3rd ball game, FZD faster in the topspins but overhit the ball on various occasions but displayed great psychological stability coming back from 2-0, 3-1 to 3-3.
I leave the judgement to LGL and the other Chinese coaches.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
One thing is for sure. We are all non-professional players (except than the pro's in this forum).
All I can add to the discussion is that I see an interesting development in the FZD vs ML encounters:
2. Encounter (CNG) ML won but FZD was able to outblock him and prevent ML from getting in with topspins
3. Encounter (Trials for Tokio) FZD won due to strong topspins, bh but ML was (supposedly half-injured)
4. Encounter (Asian Cup) ML won due to short-short and very good 3rd ball game, FZD faster in the topspins but overhit the ball on various occasions but displayed great psychological stability coming back from 2-0, 3-1 to 3-3.

Great observation.

FZD is still improving (a year ago, he was a no body basically). and Ma Long likely have hit his heights. So this high/low gap is getting narrower and narrower every single month.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
I just want to add this:
1.5. Encounter (China warm-up matches for WTTC): Ma Long blocked Fan Zhendong to death.
2.5. Encounter (Trails for Tokyo stage 1): Ma Long eat FZD alive 3:0.

In an interview with FZD at 2014 Asian Cup the reporter asked him: "How much do you think you have chance to beat Ma Long?".
He answered: "3 or 4 percents."
I mean he still hasn't the confidence to beat Ma Long so why we should think he will destroy him soon?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
In an interview with FZD at 2014 Asian Cup the reporter asked him: "How much do you think you have chance to beat Ma Long?".
He answered: "3 or 4 percents."
I mean he still hasn't the confidence to beat Ma Long so why we should think he will destroy him soon?

FZD said 3 to 4 percent?
Are you sure its not 30 to 40 percent?

1 year ago, FZD couldn't beat any 1st team members.
1 year later he can beat WR top 10 players.
Like to see what he can do in another year.

Last edited:
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Last edited: