New discussion for BH Tenergy 64 alternatives

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
There has already been a previous thread of discussion on this but in view of the new rubbers from the last 1-2 years I feel it's a good time to have this discussion again. Some criterion for comparison

1. Price must be substantially lower say maximum in the 40-50 usd range (otherwise why consider alternatives right?)
2. Similarity or differences in terms of spin, speed, throw, weight of rubber etc
3. Durability (I would rate tenergy as reasonable in terms of durability)
4. Tenergy family of rubbers Tenergy 05, Tenergy 25, Tenergy 80 and their FX versions would definitely be comparable with Tenergy 64 but their prices are not any lower unfortunately :) No easy alternatives there hehe

I was thinking particularly in terms of the new Donic JP Bluefire series and Xion Omega series. Would love to hear other people's opinion

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Xiom Omega IV Europe is okay on some blades. 2 problems with it. 1) The edges chip really easily. 2) It works better on blades that are crisp like Stiga wood blades. The reason: the sponge does not allow for that much feeling of the wood underneath or the ball. So a blade with a little more vibration works because the rubber deadens the vibration but you still get enough ball feel and wood feel.

I don't think this one works as a recommendation because the price is not that different from Tenergy, but I like Xiom Sigma II Europe on my backhand much more than Omega IV. Sigma II's topsheet also maintains grab for longer than any other new generation rubber I have used. A few weeks ago, before I changed to Tenergy, Michael Landers looked at my blade, saw how worn my rubbers were, tested out the blade and said: "This is crazy. I have never seen a rubber that is anywhere near as worn as this that still grabs the ball this well." I had been using the rubbers for over 8 months. I could have used them for a while longer. They did not feel like they would ever lose grab. But I changed to Tenergy because I am spoiled. :) hahaha.

In terms of quality of play when new, nothing is as good as Tenergy. NOTHING. The reason is actually the sponge. I don't know why nobody has been able to duplicate that, but the thing with Tenergy is that, because the sponge is so good, you get better ball feel, and the result is that you have a larger sweet spot. If you mishit a little, you can still get the shot you want. Whereas, with other rubbers, even if they are really good, like the Xiom rubbers, the sponge does not allow the ball to sink in in quite the same way, so the sweet spot is much smaller. They are really good. Tenergy is just better.

Reactions: Rajah* and MegaZZ
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
How does tenergy 80 compare to the rest of the tenergy family because some people say it's even faster but it says on butterfly's website that it isn't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2012
how about nittaku hammond pro b as a t64 alternative? I heard it should be close, but havent tried myself. Curious if onyone has experience with it.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
On an average OFF++ typical J-Pen like the Kim Taek Soo or whatever Koreans like, there is NO replacement for T64, period, like... like a Porsche.

Having said that, Tibhar 1Q and Evolution MX-P are both very competent rubbers to use in its place. Both are a bit pricy if you are not patient. Top end speed and linear performance is great. On an OFF+ stiff blade these rubbers feel right, especially for the J-Penner who likes to hit hard and through the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
I think many people are expressing the sentiment that T64 is the best esp on the BH and there is no absolute replacement. I would concur as well :)

What I find great about T64 is the low-medium throw, great speed and spin (there are def spinnier BH rubbers but the amount of spin generated with a fast BH mid distance) is a great thrill I am sure known to those who have used it. I also agree it's pretty forgiving rubber as well.

I have been thinking about the Xiom Omega series, the problem as UpsideDownCarl has noted is that it's not that much cheaper anyway and then to actually try one well...hesitating whether it's really worth it.

Xiom Omega IV Europe is okay on some blades. 2 problems with it. 1) The edges chip really easily. 2) It works better on blades that are crisp like Stiga wood blades. The reason: the sponge does not allow for that much feeling of the wood underneath or the ball. So a blade with a little more vibration works because the rubber deadens the vibration but you still get enough ball feel and wood feel.

I don't think this one works as a recommendation because the price is not that different from Tenergy, but I like Xiom Sigma II Europe on my backhand much more than Omega IV. Sigma II's topsheet also maintains grab for longer than any other new generation rubber I have used. A few weeks ago, before I changed to Tenergy, Michael Landers looked at my blade, saw how worn my rubbers were, tested out the blade and said: "This is crazy. I have never seen a rubber that is anywhere near as worn as this that still grabs the ball this well." I had been using the rubbers for over 8 months. I could have used them for a while longer. They did not feel like they would ever lose grab. But I changed to Tenergy because I am spoiled. :) hahaha.

In terms of quality of play when new, nothing is as good as Tenergy. NOTHING. The reason is actually the sponge. I don't know why nobody has been able to duplicate that, but the thing with Tenergy is that, because the sponge is so good, you get better ball feel, and the result is that you have a larger sweet spot. If you mishit a little, you can still get the shot you want. Whereas, with other rubbers, even if they are really good, like the Xiom rubbers, the sponge does not allow the ball to sink in in quite the same way, so the sweet spot is much smaller. They are really good. Tenergy is just better.

Reactions: Rajah*
says http://www.tenisdemesaparatodos.com/jugadores_ficha.asp?c...
Jan 2013
Try Donic rubbers Bluefire M2 ( medium hardness good speed good spin), bluefire jp 01(medium hardness excellent spin good speed), bluefire M3(soft control good spin), Jp 03 (soft control excellent spin), acuda s2( medium soft control very good spin) this rubbers are not similar to tenergy 64 , but are excellent rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
For backhand are good donic acuda series. I would say donic acuda s2 is really good for backhand its bit softer than tenergy 64 so the ball more sink in topspin but tenergy is tenergy ^^

Jan 2013
For backhand are good donic acuda series. I would say donic acuda s2 is really good for backhand its bit softer than tenergy 64 so the ball more sink in topspin but tenergy is tenergy ^^

For me acuda s2 its a perfect rubber to carbon blades, but in wood blades, for block its very soft and little slow