Best smash rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
In the past, hitters (who used inverted rubbers) liked to use fast OFF low throw rubbers like Hammond, Bryce, Ekrips (off the bounce counters), and similar low throw rubbers on a fast, stiff OFF to OFF+ blade. They would like to serve a mix of cut and no-spin, get opponent to slightly mis-read it, look for 2 cm difference of return, and pounce upon it with a smash. If they couldn't smash, they would hit a medium speed safe drive to an uncomfortable location and make a fast drive to drive rally to win the point, keeping up the pressure by staying at the table and taking everything off the bounce with a solid, forward swing that robbed opponents of time. You try to make a very spinny, fast loop... you were shooting yourself in the foot vs that kind of player. They were (and still are) so good at striking that fast loop right off the bounce with their low throw rubber than made it easier to do that shot... You were playing right into their hands. They could make that shot 9 out of 10 times and not every one can make a quality fast loop from an awkward position 9 of 10 times... so you see who has an advantage in that kind of rally.

So it would be obvious that a really solid OFF or OFF+ blade with such a low throw rubber and enough practice makes such a playing style a tough one to defeat (if you are brain dead and keep giving the hitter those kind of balls or get into those kind of rallies you will likely not win)

That playing style can get a player to a decent level, but it isn't a fun playing style for me. I like to spin the ball and be a little more dynamic than that. Still, it is a good example of how simplifying your tactics and playing smart can win you points and matches.

Der_Echte, thank you for describing this kind of play very accurately! For a long time, I've been confused with such play, especially among older players. You put it well in words.

Also, an uncle of mine plays exactly as the style mentioned. One sided penholder, and almost always at the table. I am looking for the right combination to optimise his game.

Could you and/or fellow forum members recommend some ESN only rubbers that are:
1) 42 - 45 degrees
2) Low throw similar to T64 or lower
3) Rubber has to be relatively fast

From the top of my head, I am thinking perhaps a TSP Hino-carbon Blade. And perhaps a V01 rubber? What do you guys think?

Looking forward to hear from all of you!

*** Edit *** Settled for a Fang Bo ALC blade with Tibhar Quantum S rubber for him. He's really happy and plays well with the new combination!

Last edited: