Update on new ball Jan 2014

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Extract from the minutes of the ITTF EC meeting on 9th January 2014 in Dubai, UAE:-

Plastic ball update: The Executive Committee noted that:

- Balls had been received from 3 Chinese companies (2 with seam, 1 without seam) and 1 from Japanese company (with seam) and all had failed the initial approval tests.

- Further approval tests would be undertaken once adjustments had been made.

- Balls would be available from 1 July 2014.

- The manufacturer of the ball without seam was not a sponsor of any ITTF event as the rights had been sold for events up to 2016.

- The balls were being tested by the players

Reactions: Alborz and agold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
Plastic Ball Update

Extract from the minutes of the ITTF EC meeting on 9th January 2014 in Dubai, UAE:-

Plastic ball update: The Executive Committee noted that:

- Balls had been received from 3 Chinese companies (2 with seam, 1 without seam) and 1 from Japanese company (with seam) and all had failed the initial approval tests.

- Further approval tests would be undertaken once adjustments had been made.

- Balls would be available from 1 July 2014.

- The manufacturer of the ball without seam was not a sponsor of any ITTF event as the rights had been sold for events up to 2016.

- The balls were being tested by the players

If I understood this info all correctly, does that mean despite the fact all 4 companies (3 chinese and 1 japanese) have failed the initial tests ITTF still expects the new balls to roll out in July this year? Does that seem a touch too optimistic to others besides me. I would have thought given that it's already end of Feb that the release would have to be delayed...

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
One thing that i'm sure about it is ITTF's rules about balls will not change. So manufactures needs to come up with some good balls or the new poly balls will not be in international tournaments until they can make them with good quality and make them ITTF approved.
So don't be afraid of the quality of new balls. If they doesn't have the same quality of current balls they will not be ITTF approved and will not be used in any international or local tournament.

Reactions: TTKing