Sharara and Samsonov Interview 2014

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
I
"Players were not adjusted. In practice players adjust very quickly but when it comes to matches automatic reactions will no doubt be the cause of many mistakes. I think the same will happen now because this ball is smoother and will have less spin; when the ball touches the table the friction will be less.

Also the plastic ball is also a little harder and faster so the game will be a little faster with less spin but I don’t know how that will look like compared to today; it could be good or it could be bad but we have no choice because this celluloid material is no longer available for several reasons. "

A LITTLE FASTER!? (not commenting whether it's good or bad) But it just sounds like the TT industry is diving into something without knowing what's gonna happen, and according to Sharara, "we have no choice" (could be true).
Samsonov thinks it's slower, reports say it's slower, now it could be faster. I am just disappointed, that TT is changing without getting these balls tested out, and be certain. I really am just sad how policies are made and implemented here. Even Samsonov and Sharara are saying different things.
New balls are harder and they bounces higher at the table but they losses more speed and spin than current balls when they are traveling in the air. so they are faster at short game but slower at looping and counter looping.
Just read this ITTF study: http://etta.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Poly_Celluloid_Balls_Testing.pdf

Also i don't think that will be a big change. Players just need some time to get used to it.

Last edited:

M51

says Poly balls still suck.

M51

says Poly balls still suck.
Sep 2012
faster at short game but slower at looping and counter looping.
And this is EXACTLY OPPOSITE of what table tennis needs, and EXACTLY OPPOSITE of what table tennis fans and general audiences want to see.

Counter looping away from the table is the most appealing and the most spectacular aspect of table tennis.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
And this is EXACTLY OPPOSITE of what table tennis needs, and EXACTLY OPPOSITE of what table tennis fans and general audiences want to see.

Counter looping away from the table is the most appealing and the most spectacular aspect of table tennis.
Yes it is exactly the opposite that what we like but still there will not be a huge change. Still we can see those amazing counter loops far from the table.
Also if loops become slower, defenders will have more chance against other players.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Not if Sharara's plan to limit the ball bounce off the bat comes to fruition.
Agree with you on this. It is the ultimate devil plan :mad: I don't think TT society let him to do this.

And if he do only we get limited not pros because:

ITTF tests rubbers and blades at factories right now. They just test some general features of top pros rackets at tournaments like the thickness of rubber.
They will do like this in future because they can't get a machine to every tournament and test the rackets there and the conditions like temperature of air and so are different in every city.
So they will test the rubbers and blades in factories and pros can receive faster and spinier rubbers than what we can. So they would still play with what they prefer not a slow racket and their game will not get effected by this rule (limiting the bounce of racket).

So we just get limited. We will not be able to play the TT that we love but pros will still be able to play like before.

The real reason of limiting the bounce of racket is to make us buy new equipment and full the pockets of manufactures and ITTF with money.

Last edited: